$1.4 Million for bike accident

Old February 22nd 05, 10:35 PM
Peter Signorini

Default $1.4 Million for bike accident

"TimC" wrote in message

"I went over the bump and my wheel came off completely," said Natalie
Tyler, 29, of Manhattan. "I landed on my head."

I would suggest your bike is not very roadworthy, but, having said
that, I think a 1" metal plate is a bit... silly to be putting on a
bike path. I've complained to council over issues like that.

Yeah, I thought exactly the same. There is surely a very significant level
of personal negligence here in not maintaining her bike safely and checking
it properly before riding. As for the 1" raised plates they are covers over
expansion joints, much like what we have on our own popular north bank Yarra
Trail. These have also cuased some crashes. At least the NY path has them
highlighted with yellow paint - that's got to be good for traction :-)

For the engineers out the what is so dangerous about expansion joints
that they need these metal covers? Wouldn't it be better to leave them open?
After all, we're surely not going to fall into them. Road bridges everywhere
have expansion joints and I don't believe they have special steel plate
covers.

Cheers
Peter

Old February 22nd 05, 11:23 PM
MikeyOz

Peter Signorini Wrote:
"TimC" wrote i
messag
..

"I went over the bump and my wheel came off completely," sai

Natali
Tyler, 29, of Manhattan. "I landed on my head.

I would suggest your bike is not very roadworthy, but, having sai
that, I think a 1" metal plate is a bit... silly to be putting on
bike path. I've complained to council over issues like that

Yeah, I thought exactly the same. There is surely a very significan
leve
of personal negligence here in not maintaining her bike safely an
checkin
it properly before riding. As for the 1" raised plates they are cover
ove
expansion joints, much like what we have on our own popular north ban
Yarr
Trail. These have also cuased some crashes. At least the NY path ha
the
highlighted with yellow paint - that's got to be good for traction :-

For the engineers out the what is so dangerous about expansio
joint
that they need these metal covers? Wouldn't it be better to leave the
open
After all, we're surely not going to fall into them. Road bridge
everywher
have expansion joints and I don't believe they have special steel plat
covers

Cheer
Peter

I feel very sorry for that girl and im sure that 1.4 million is no
going to go very far, considering she will have to be cared for th
rest of her life and I think everybody seriously hurt like that need
compensation or should be looked after, its called a caring society..
things happen sometimes, whether you mean them to or not

and 20 years ago things were a lot different governments looked afte
people if they had problems where as people now adays know they have t
get money to pay for the costs themselves, you cant compare it to 2
years ago....

imagine yourself in her shoes

--
MikeyO

Live in Melbourne, soon to be married, 33, 6', 76 kgs, enjoy bein
active, whenever possible in any form.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:48 AM
Peter Signorini

"MikeyOz" wrote in message

I feel very sorry for that girl and im sure that 1.4 million is not
going to go very far, considering she will have to be cared for the
rest of her life

I can give her all my sympathy too. It's a tragic event and one where a
sound level of care should be provided by our governments.

and I think everybody seriously hurt like that needs
compensation or should be looked after, its called a caring society...
things happen sometimes, whether you mean them to or not

Compensation or proper care? She definitely merits proper care to live a
reasonable life. What proprtion of the judgement was for 'pain & suffering'?
Ultimately it was her decision to ride that bike off the ramp. Why should
the local authority have to compensate her? Or the local BMX club, tour
company, horse trail riding business... whichever type of litigious event we
are referring to.

imagine yourself in her shoes ?

More than ready to do that. I wouldn't have ridden that bike off the ramp
into a jump, unless I was experienced with that sort of situation.

Cheers
Peter

Old February 23rd 05, 03:47 PM
dabac

For the engineers out the what is so dangerous about expansio
joints
that they need these metal covers? Wouldn't it be better to leave the
open?
After all, we're surely not going to fall into them.

There's a lot of "depends" in that question that has to be dealt with
But here are some pointers:

Depending on material, design and climate where the bridge is locate
an expansion joint CAN reach a considerable width. It won't swallow
vehicle wheel crossing perpendicularly, but it can seriousl
inconvenience a pedestrian who isn't watching his/hers step. It woul
also be able to pose trouble for a bike crossing it at an obliqu
angle.

The joint in itself might also be of a design that needs to b
protected from accumulation of road grime and whatnot.

That said there are still more or less suitable ways of designing bot
joints and covers, and these sound like they are unneccesary thick.
1" plate can take a tremendous load

--
dabac