$100 fines for cyclists in East Perth

Old November 29th 05, 03:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default $100 fines for cyclists in East Perth

Hi,

Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
footbridge.

I am (twice daily) bemused why this single 50m section of probably the
safest, slowest, widest and highest visibility section of our 100's of
km's beautiful bike paths in Perth is such a focus for the local
council? There are many far more dangerous sections for both
pedestrians and cyclists that get significantly more traffic that are
not addressed by the same council, some just a few hundred metres away
(Narrows bridge underpass for one).

Anyway, the cycle police officers were really friendly and informative
about it all (thx guys) and are just doing there job, but from what I
could overhear the council would be doing this for the next few weeks.

Cheers,
suomynonA - who was lucky enough to avoid being fined

Old November 29th 05, 03:20 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I can assume you are required to dismount & push your bike across the
footbridge?

I understood that there may be similar moves along the Southbank/Crown
promanard in Melbourne due to the increase in reported incidences.

--
Marx SS

Old November 29th 05, 03:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suomynona Wrote:
[...]

You mean the planked suspension bridge with the 'cyclist dismount'
signs and the 'traffic calming' devices?

I wonder if we can get the police and council rangers down to the
nearby bike path along the river to have a chat to some of the more
stupid peds who wander aimlessly across/along the shared path.

SteveA

--
SteveA

Old November 29th 05, 03:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Marx SS Wrote:
I understood that there may be similar moves along the Southbank/Crown
promanard in Melbourne due to the increase in reported incidences.'

I have seen some cyclists riding along the promenade at a far clip even
though there are people everywhere. No wonder there are incidents. I
suspect if people rode through slowly we wouldn't need to police the
area.

--
SuzieB

Old November 29th 05, 03:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle

"suomynona" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it seems
this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
footbridge.

Kickass.. sounds like a sprint point.. Just have to make sure you have
enough kick to drop the coppers

cheers,
GPL

Old November 29th 05, 05:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle

SteveA:
You mean the planked suspension bridge with the 'cyclist dismount'

signs and the 'traffic calming' devices?

Yep, thats the one. For those who don't know it, there are 5 (yep 5!)
cyclist calming devices within a 50 metre stretch, so it is impossible
to speed.

stupid peds who wander aimlessly across/along the shared path.

Agreed. With spring/summer here, they are out in force again I
wonder what they think the large white dashed lines in the middle of
the path are for.

I Should also mention that I am incredibly grateful to the local/state
governments here for providing and maintaining the fantastic Perth
Bicycle Network we have, even if I don't always agree with their
application of safety measures

--
nonA -

Old November 29th 05, 05:25 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suomynona Wrote:
[...]

What was the fine actually for?

In my local rag (Vincent Voice) it stated that that while they
discouraged people from riding across the bridge it wasnt illegal to do
so.

--
byron27

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old November 29th 05, 06:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I rode with my childs' year seven class last week. There are signs on
the East Perth/ClaiseBrook Bridge (north and south ends) that state
under PCC By-Law blah blah $100 thanks if you ride across the bridge.

Rich lawyers in East Perth enclave with contacts on council methinks

Old November 29th 05, 07:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

GPLama Wrote:
"suomynona" wrote in message ...
Hi,

Well the signs have been up for a few months now, and finally it

seems
this morning the local council (armed with a couple of bike police)
were issuing $100 fines for cyclists riding across the East Perth
footbridge.

Kickass.. sounds like a sprint point.. Just have to make sure you have
enough kick to drop the coppers

cheers,
GPLBetter watch out, I hear Russel C is becoming a policeman (yes in

Perth.)

On topic: What a pathetic thing to do, catch some real criminals!!!!

--
Jono L

Old November 29th 05, 08:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle

suomynona Wrote:
[...]

The bridge next to the entertainment centre is still open,contry to
the signs saying it would be closed

--
cyclist2