Unicycling is antisocial.

Old October 2nd 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Default Unicycling is antisocial.

So it was the end of a good, long day out unicycling in Colchester (on
Saturday) and we went to the park to find a few more spots (that's me,
Mark, Jack, Jamie and Kieron for the benefit of those who may have seen
them in the videos) to finish the day.
We rode in, and sat down by some steps (the ones circled in the
attached picture) perfectly innocently when 5 minutes later after a
quick chat; two PCSOs (police communicty support officers (basicly
wanabe police officers fighting fake, pointless ''antisocial'' crimes))
and the park warden approached us, one of them saying ''Ok, it's the
second time we've seen you today so we're going to take your details''
- but were even doing anything at the time? How could we be antisocial
if there was noone but us and them there? Were we offending anyone by
sitting down with unicycles on the floor?

Out came the slips and the questions began. First it was ''what is your
name?'', and ''age?, DOB?'' - that was perhaps fair enough. Then they
began ''How tall are you?'', ''Parents names?'', Address, Hair colour
and style, what clothes and shoes we were wearing, where we had scars
or tattoos, what school we went to, our ethnic orign... and they went
on, arguing that the onl place we were allowed to ride them was at a
skate park, not on the road as they don't have lights... (I knew they
were wrong..), and apprently not on the paths as they were bicycles. I
assured them that I had seen more than 20 other people on bikes (and 3
young boys in fact on unicycles, but I didn't say that), that day in
the park that had not been stopped. I also made sure they knew that it
was rude of them to target us as we were the only ones left in the park
and they had nothing better to do.
Was that really necessary? Or was it just that little bit intrusive? We
had done nothing but unicycle (quite the opposite of antisocial IMO),
in a -public park!-
Well, angered and frustrated (particularly me - the others just took
the authorititiveness), we were asked to leave the park pushing our
''bicycles''.
We did get to keep a copy of this slips, and once I scan it in you can
see it. One section at the bottom said ''If ASB state
details/description........-unicycling in park-...........'' WTF?!
What do you make of this?

|Filename: park.jpg |

jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

I hate those people, basicly if you see them coming ride on and avode
them because they wont chase you down or do anything (well they
shouldnt). When I have been riding with my brother (on his bike) we
just keep a look out. We have seen other people riding trials bikes
been given fines of £50.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

you may be lucky but you make your own luck

*)--360--O* The Unispin Elite

)---'O, Crankflip
my 'videos' (http://www.youtube.com/user/c011in9s)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'video tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eddbmxdude

I hate community support officers!
They are just busybody's that have a chip on their should because they
couldn't make it into the real police force! I have been stopped
several times before by them, everytime they have told me im "Not
supposed to be riding that thing here".
The truth is they can't arrest you, the best they can do is call a
proper policeman.

Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

Well people should be pleased to know that I did not just stand there
and take all of this. I made sure to tell them after every question
that It was unnecessary for me to tell them but apparently I was
''required by law'' to answer them. I muttered about how they did not
get paid, which didnt go down too well. I argued about how they are not
bicycles She said to me ''so, where do you get these things?'' -
i replied ''well, are you thinking of learning?'' hehe
She also asked ''so, can you get them in bike shops? - I replied ''no,
they are not bikes!'' (of course I know that you can in fact get them
in bike shops, but I was being cocky)

My most shameful, favourite, and childish was just after we had been
discussing the fact that they were definitely NOT bikes. She said
''well, we -could- stand here all night and debate about this but...''
I said: ''Yeh, we could have a mass-debate!'' Neither of the scum were
best pleased, though my deepest apologies about my childish pun got me
out of that one!

Old October 2nd 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

I was about to refer you to this thread where there's a legal definition
of a bicycle, which could be handy for you... but it looks like you've
already read it, and have had a run in with these PCSOs before (Are
they the same ones?)

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 04:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

semach.the.monkey wrote:
I was about to refer you to this thread where there's a legal definition
of a bicycle, which could be handy for you... but it looks like you've
already read it, and have had a run in with these PCSOs before (Are
they the same ones?)

STM

I assumed the laws were different in America anyway, and I have seen it
if it's the one Terry wrote. Is there another one?

I had not seen -them together- before, but one of the PCSOs had told us
to dismount our ''bicycles'' when we were riding down a more or less
deserted street, on the direct other side of town, earlier that day.

Old October 2nd 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

I always use the one: Can you ride a bike? When the person answers:
Sure.
You then say: Well, can you ride this? When they answer no: You say:
Then by simple logic it is not a bike.

By the way, Not to many bike stores actually do carry unicycles.

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

But they do basic unis... it's besides the point anyway

Thats a good point about logic too.

Old October 2nd 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Well, arguing with underpaid/unpaid security people always makes
everybody feel better.

jamessd wrote:
we went to the park to find a few more spots ... to finish the day.

So you were in the park to do what they kicked you out for; you just
hadn't done it yet? That wouldn't be cool, but they said it was the
second time that day they'd seen you. You didn't mention anything about
that. Did they see you riding in the park or something?

I can't comment on UK law, but if the same scenario happened in the US
you could refuse to answer any questions and ask for a "real cop."
Would that be better?

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"I bruised my tailbone the other day, it's a real pain in the ass." --
Forrest Rowell
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

-
*
I can't comment on UK law, but if the same scenario happened in the US
you could refuse to answer any questions and ask for a "real cop."
Would that be better?

-yeh, we had only just got there-
*One of the PCSOs in the park had seen us earlier that day riding down
a street, and asked us to dismount - and that was it *