Semi-Ghetto SS Hub?

Old June 23rd 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Semi-Ghetto SS Hub?

Finished the bolt over from my Surly 1x1 to the new Salsa XXL
frame.

Now I want to revert the Surly to it's intended use using parts
at hand.

Just about done, but am having doubts about the ghetto single
speed setup.

I've got a 32 on the front with the chain running on the
cluster's 18. Works, sort-of, but I'm guessing that it wants to
shift to the extent that the chain line is a little whacked.

When I ride it, I hear the occasional "Click" or creak from the
chain/cog. Having parted a chain under load once (and, believe
me, once is more than enough....), I'm more than a little
skittish about this.

Seems like I could upgrade to a "Semi-Ghetto" SS by putting a
single cog on the cluster and padding either side to get a proper
chain line.

Possible?

If so, what would be the terms of art for the parts needed?
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 23rd 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
Seems like I could upgrade to a "Semi-Ghetto" SS by putting a
single cog on the cluster and padding either side to get a proper
chain line.

Oops... Shoulda' Googled first.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=124745
--
PeteCresswell
Old June 23rd 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 23, 3:16*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

You already own the parts to fix that. Five small spacers came with
your Rohloff hub gearbox. They're intended to turn a double or triple
crankset into a single. They fit on the chainring bolts in the place
of the middle or inner chainwheel and permit you to use the double
chainring bolts without grinding them down.

If the chainline is still not straight, depending on where you want to
straighten it from, you can:
a) swap the chainring spacers or even the chainring itself from side
to side of the crank and/or
b) fit a (different size, obviously, see below) spacer between one
side or the other of the frame and the bottom bracket cup, depending
on which way you want to move the chainline, and/or,
c) fit a spacer behind the cog.
In both cases (b) and (c) you use the spacers Shimano and others make
to change from x number cogs to y number cogs. (I'm holding two such
spacers in my hand, one 3mm cogspacer, bought in the aftermarket, one
1.8mm that came in a set of three different thicknesses with a Deore
twopiece crankset but is also sold loose.) Look up Sheldon on
"chainline" if you have Sturmey Archer cog spacers in your junkbox...
(I don't, I've only been a cyclist for two decades.)

Hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs...

Andre Jute
Check out Andre's recipes at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.html
Old June 23rd 10, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Jun 23, 3:21*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per (PeteCresswell):

Seems like I could upgrade to a "Semi-Ghetto" SS by putting a
single cog on the cluster and padding either side to get a proper
chain line.

Oops... Shoulda' Googled first.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=124745
--
PeteCresswell

Oops, shoulda checked the rest of the thread before I sent a monograph
on chainline spacing.

Andre Jute
Who does he think he is, Jobst Brandt?
Old June 23rd 10, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 23, 9:16*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
[...]

Shimano DX cog
PVC pipe
Lockring.

Old June 23rd 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 23, 10:55*am, landotter wrote:
[...]

Oh, and if you want it ghetto-fab, paint your PVC spacers:

http://www.amazon.com/Testors-Enamel.../dp/B0035LQTJM

ghetto tubeless [email protected][_2_] Racing 15 December 28th 09 02:29 AM
ghetto tubeless [email protected][_2_] Techniques 15 December 28th 09 02:29 AM
the ghetto BC wheel flyer Unicycling 10 July 16th 05 11:18 AM
1st SS Ride and Ghetto Mod forks Scott Mountain Biking 0 March 27th 05 12:12 AM
Ghetto no tubes TJ Mountain Biking 5 October 4th 04 07:21 PM