Dads, Where did you ride on Fathers Day?

Old June 22nd 04, 02:48 AM
aspenmike

Default Dads, Where did you ride on Fathers Day?

Here is my Fathers Day ride:
The summers are short in Colorado, especially at 12,000'. Having
read George and Tonys EPIC MUni adventure this last week, I knew it was
time to get HIGH in the Rocky's. I love this ride for many reasons, but
mostly because it is very hard, it is in my backyard, and I do NOT have
to drive to get to it. You can pretty much count on the 3:00
thunderstorm these days so I knew I had to leave early, plus mornings
are best to catch the wildlife and not catch the traffic. As well, the
temperatures are perfect to climb mountains early in the morning. When I
left, 6:30 a.m the temperature was 42 degree's, just right. I had 25
miles to get to the Continental Divide at 12,095'. My house is at 8,080'
so I had approximately 4,000' vertical to climb. The actual climb is
4,500' with the ups and downs along the way. The biggest part of the
climb is the last 17 miles where 4,000' is attained.

http://tinyurl.com/yrg4n
Here are some pictures.

I had the road, Co. state highway 82 to myself yesterday. The only
people on the road at that hour are old people, (they can't sleep) and
other people heading out for adventures, typically mountain climbers
attempting to summit some fourteener before the afternoon ligtning. I
ride around 8 miles along the valley floor, with very little altitude
change. The deer are hanging around in the meadows before they get
chased away by traffic. I notice that the valley is getting narrower and
the cliffs are getting steeper and closer to me. It is time for the big
push up the Pass.
I know this road really well, and it always kicks my ass. But time
after time, I find myself pushing up the first climb. Deep inside I love
this stuff, is it the pain I like, or is it that ZEN feeling of
climbing up mountain passes on a Coker, (now a GB4 36"er). You long
distance Coker riders know the "High" I'm talking about, it's one that
is hard to beat and describe. I know that I am an adrenaline junky, and
this activity is awesome for adrenaline. I go almost one hour and forty
five minutes before I stop to refuel and give my butt a rest. I have
climbed almost 2,500' in two hours and have ridden approximately 17
miles. My next fuel stop, is at treeline, which is around 11,600' in
Colorado. The famous "Last Cut" looms in front of me while I munch on a
Snickers bar covered with GU gel. I hop back on the GB436"er after a
couple of minutes of rest and push up the Last Cut. The road is very
narrow here, so people end up following me until they can find a safe
place to pass. I wonder what they are thinking when they are behind me?
I'm going at most 7-8 mph, the road drops off 1,000' next to me, and all
they can see is mountain peaks and some fruitcake riding a unicycle up
this steep mountain road. I smile as they pass with their heads attached
to movie or still cameras hanging out their windows. Unicycling is
GREAT, people totally love it, and truly appreciate you when you are
uni'ing. The wind picks up and trys to blow me off of the mountain, but
somehow I maintain my line. My heart rate is very medium today, and I am
glad because the last steep climb is within view. This last climb comes
out of nowwhere, it is steep and at 12,000'and usually makes the heart
go right off the chart. Today, the last climb was no problem, I was
lucky, I had a tail wind. I raise my hands, kiss the sky, (Lance
Armstrong move) and praise the lord as I have made it to top of
Indenpendence Pass one more time. I don't stay long as the temperature
is cold and the wind is now blowing 30 mph with gust to 50mph. A few
pictures and a drink of water and I am on my way back home.
What lays ahead of me is a 4,500' vertical foot downhill ride
with no brakes, I like it that way though. I ride with 175mm cranks and
like how the long arc allows me to control my speed downhill. The summit
was awesome as always, but is only the half way point of my ride. I fly,
for me anyway, down the mountain at an average of 12-14 mph. Some of the
grades are 10%, but most are 7-8%. Very rideable at a fast cadence. But,
I certainly did not want to UPD as there are big drop offs and cars next
to me. I cheat the white line a foot or so on the way down; cars can
wait for a good spot to pass. I finally start to see a few bicyclists on
their way up to the summit, wave, and continue on my descent. I do stop
for a fuel break and to enjoy the spectacular scenery. The traffic picks
up as people are on the move. I reach the valley floor feeling great,
legs a little sore, but plenty left. My butt hurts more than anything,
but not major. I enjoy the relatively flat miles to my house through the
town of Aspen. Aspen is rocking these days with festivals and people
everywhere bending their fun meters. I feel especially good as I just
bagged Indenpendence Pass on my GB436"er.
I make it home safely, (12:15 p.m.) to where my wonderful family is
waiting for me. I proceed to then MUni with my daughter and son. A
fathers day to remember, one where unicycling was the key player. I
can't wait for my next big ride. Life is good.
Some stats about the ride:
- 48 miles 24 up and 24 down
- 4,500' uphill
- 4,500' downhill
- Average riding altitude 9,500'
- Summit 12,095' starting and finishing elevation 8,080'
- 100% ridden
- Average temperature 53 degrees F
- 2hr55 to summit
- 2hr05 down from summit
- 5hr45 time out on ride
- Wildlife spotted deer, beaver, hawks, eagles, and marmots

|Attachment filename: mike fathers day 04' independence pass .jpg|
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/218545|

aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old June 22nd 04, 03:33 AM
yoopers

We spent Father's Day weekend at a soccer tournament in Peoria, IL.
This is our third year at the tourney and we always take along a handful
of unicycles. The boys and I spent a little time Cokering around the
fields.

Bruce

--
yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Old June 22nd 04, 03:51 AM
gbarnes

Wow, great ride, Mike! Thanks for the trip report and pics.

I'm twice as jealous because I'm back in Iowa at 1/10 your elevation for
a few weeks. Just long enough to de-acclimate.

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

Old June 22nd 04, 04:49 AM
Krashin'Kenny

I spent Father's Day at Canyon Lake with my daughter and about 75-100
close friends. Got to do a little MUni, partied way to much and ended
the weekend doing this:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=30237

The second picture is my daughter (Jackie). They haven't posted any
pictures of me flying through the air or the pictures of Jackie doing a
forward flip on the b*ke yet

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old June 22nd 04, 04:51 AM
nathan

I did my Father's Day ride a day early so I could spend the actual day
with my son and wife. Saturday I rode with a bunch of awesome riders
(Scot Cooper, Rob Bowman, John Foss and Mike Scalisi). First we climbed
Mt Diablo (10.8 miles, 3300' up). This was on pavement and 2 of us had
Cokers and the other 3 were on 29ers. We took mostly singletrack and
fireroad on the way down which was really fun. High speed cross country
muni is a blast. I'm not sure of the total time or stats but it was
around 5 hours with a bit over 20 miles and something between 3500' and
4000' of up and down. A gorgeous day, not too hot, just perfect. Doing
all that downhill with no brake was strenuous, but great training.
Would've been even better at 12000' with 50mph gusts, but we have to
make due with what we have. The photos are in John Foss's camera...

On Father's Day, Beau and I played a round of disc golf, then a number
of games of pool, went out to dinner and then a movie.

Great weekend!

Mike, that was an awesome photo of you!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old June 22nd 04, 05:01 AM
showard

Wow! My Father's Day MUni ride pales in comparison to your ride Mike!

I rode a 5 mile single track loop with just under 1000' of climbing that
kept my heart rate topped out most of the time. I found some new single
track that bypasses a section of double track. It is by far the
bumpiest trail I've ever ridden.

Then I came home and cooked up some nice t-bones for Father's Day
dinner. We don't eat much beef so that was a treat. My wonderful kids
gave me tickets to a ZZ Top concert coming up in September ... the
ultimate geezer band!

You said it Mike: "life is good"

SH

--
showard - ------
showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452

Old June 22nd 04, 06:00 AM
bugman

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
*I spent Father's Day at Canyon Lake with my daughter and about 75-100
close friends. Got to do a little MUni, partied way to much and ended
the weekend doing this:

http://www.bikemojo.com/speak/showthread.php?t=30237

The second picture is my daughter (Jackie). They haven't posted any
pictures of me flying through the air or the pictures of Jackie doing
a forward flip on the b*ke yet *

It looked like tha guy in the first shot has a prosthetic leg. That's
cool that he isn't letting it get in the way of having fun.

I took a short 6 mile Coker ride around the backside of Stone Mountain
park. It wasn't anything special other than it was the longest I had
ridden it, and the first time on a uni in the park. They have the one
lane of the road closed to traffic on the backside so joggers, cyclists
can use the other lane. I plan on going there more often since it is
about 4 miles from the house and 1 mile from where I work.

The one thing that is cool about a Coker is you rarely get the snide
remarks. Something about sitting up that high that feels tough. Now
for an odometer and a brake. I love going uphill, but downhill gets me
a little nervous. Trying to slow down gets the wheel wobbling as I put
pressure on the pedals as they come up. Just a matter of time before I
come flying off!

I had a great time though and look forward to the next ride.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

Old June 22nd 04, 06:04 AM
tomblackwood

Well, I can't approach Mike's epic ride, but still managed to have some
good father/son fun. Woke up, and opened my present to find a Sponge Bob
bike jersey with him riding an underwater giraffe. Cool! Had a big
breakfast with lots of protein prepped by my wife and son, then headed
into downtown Seattle for the wrap up of the Seattle International
Juggling Festival. Attended an excellent cigar box juggling workshop
taught by Matt Hall, then did some free juggling and club passing for a
couple hours. Rode the "Booster", Seattle Center's new ride which is
basically a giant vertical centrifuge. Great view of Seattle and the
Puget Sound from the top of it. Then came home and topped it off with 5
miles of light muni on the Yellow Lake trail system near our house. We
ride these trails all the time, but still manage to find new challenges.
All in all, maybe the best Father's Day on record.

Papa and Son about to hit the trail: http://tinyurl.com/33zwf

tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old June 22nd 04, 01:07 PM
Krashin'Kenny

Bugman,
Yep, he does have a prosthetic. He lost his leg leg just below the
knee many years ago in a car accident, but it never affected his zeal
for life. He still races b*kes and can even ride a uni

Old June 22nd 04, 05:02 PM
jagur

i went up to Falls City,Oregon for some more riding and filming for the
'local riders video' (http://www.norware.com/biking/) thats being made
around here. at one point we taped Joe's tiny little helmet cam to my
seat post for some real interesting footage...

i was the fortunate one to escape the woods that day without breaking
anything. Joe lost some screw and all the fluid came out of his front
break,then later a stick caught his derailer and busted the XT
derailer!

DudleyDoRide boots gave up the ghost. after a super steep park the sole
of one of them ripped half way off.

i got home about noon and spent the rest of the day drinking
beer,playing Gamecube with the kids and watching Phil Mickleson doulbe
bogey and lose the US open...

oh then there was that Rodan DVD that my got me,Toho Studio's first in
color.

--
jagur - #3649_all fluff i hear?

[image:
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums...get_Your_Life-

Sunday's ride Mikefule Unicycling 19 May 6th 04 04:54 PM
Another interminable write up of a ride Mikefule Unicycling 9 April 1st 04 05:15 AM
Cades Cove Loop Ride... chirokid Unicycling 14 November 3rd 03 01:55 PM
2003 RSVP (post ride ramblings) William Higley, Sr. Recumbent Biking 0 August 11th 03 02:07 AM