Fake Livestrong wristbands

Old April 27th 05, 07:41 PM
Peter Goddard

Default Fake Livestrong wristbands

Hello,
My children came back from a car boot sale with some Livestrong
wristbands. The main topic of conversation in the playground at their school
is whether or not certain ones are fake. Having looked on the internet,
Livestrong wristbands seem to be exclusively yellow (seems logical). Another
site states that the fakes come from China. Oh dear. This one is blue and
has made in china stamped on the back.

Do blue ones exist?

Cheers

Peter.

Old April 27th 05, 08:27 PM
audrey

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 18:41:35 GMT, "Peter Goddard"
wrote:

Hello,
My children came back from a car boot sale with some Livestrong
wristbands. The main topic of conversation in the playground at their school
is whether or not certain ones are fake.

[snip]
Do blue ones exist?

There are blue ones (for being against bullying, apparantly) but I'm
not sure ones bought a car boot are necessarily genuine.

Handy GMTV guide to charidee wristbands:

"now criminals have cottoned on to the craze and have begun to flood
the market with cheap, knock-off versions to cash in. Last week alone,
a shipment of 6,000 fake yellow wristbands was seized at Glasgow
Airport, bearing Lance Armstrong's Livestrong message for his cancer
charity.

However despite the fakes there are many genuine wristbands and
wristband sellers on the market. So for those of you concerned about
where your money is going, here's a guide to some of the more popular
wristband charities.
Blue: Beat Bullying
Bands costs £2.50 and will be made available online at the website
opposite - check their website for more details. Please note these are
different to the blue bands given away for free by Radio One in
November last year as part of the beat bullying onelife campaign. To
make sure you get one keep checking the website."

Old April 27th 05, 08:29 PM
audrey

Handy GMTV guide to charidee wristbands:

sorry, forgot the url, it's
http://www.gm.tv/index.cfm?articleid=14173

Old April 27th 05, 08:46 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote in message
:

My children came back from a car boot sale with some Livestrong
wristbands. The main topic of conversation in the playground at their school
is whether or not certain ones are fake.

I struggle to understand this business of buying second-hand
wristbands. The charity receives nothing from these sales, after all.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old April 27th 05, 08:57 PM
Tilly

wrote:

Hello,
My children came back from a car boot sale with some Livestrong
wristbands. The main topic of conversation in the playground at their school
is whether or not certain ones are fake. Having looked on the internet,
Livestrong wristbands seem to be exclusively yellow (seems logical). Another
site states that the fakes come from China. Oh dear. This one is blue and
has made in china stamped on the back.

I was in China over Easter. In the Shanghai market coloured elastic
bands were being offered for sale at 5 fen each or 100 for 30 RMB
(£2). They certainly didn't have "made in China" stamped on the back.

I was tempted to buy a couple of boxes to flog to my pupils at school
for £1.50 a go. I reckon I could have paid for the cost of my flight
with as few as 5 boxes.
Old April 28th 05, 12:29 AM
vernon levy

I struggle to understand this business of buying second-hand
wristbands. The charity receives nothing from these sales, after all.

The kids that I teach don't really care that a second hand band raises no
revenue - it's the immediacy of ownership via Ebay or car boot sales that
knocks the charitable intent into the gutter. In addition, ownership of the
band and the ability to demonstrate an affinity to something overides its
provenence.

Simple really, at least for the tunnel visioned kids :-)

Old April 28th 05, 08:55 AM
Paul D

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:29:30 +0100, "vernon levy" wrote:

The kids that I teach don't really care that a second hand band raises no
revenue - it's the immediacy of ownership via Ebay or car boot sales that
knocks the charitable intent into the gutter. In addition, ownership of the
band and the ability to demonstrate an affinity to something overides its
provenence.

Simple really, at least for the tunnel visioned kids :-)

Don't forget, the reason children want these bands is nothing to do with what
they represent, or whether or not a charity gets any money from their sale. It's
simply that the other children have got them.

Old April 28th 05, 09:10 AM
Tosspot

Paul D wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:29:30 +0100, "vernon levy" wrote:

The kids that I teach don't really care that a second hand band raises no
revenue - it's the immediacy of ownership via Ebay or car boot sales that
knocks the charitable intent into the gutter. In addition, ownership of the
band and the ability to demonstrate an affinity to something overides its
provenence.

Simple really, at least for the tunnel visioned kids :-)

Don't forget, the reason children want these bands is nothing to do with what
they represent, or whether or not a charity gets any money from their sale. It's
simply that the other children have got them.

I wonder if they could be encouraged to go around with bricks on bits of
string. No, on second thoughts house prices are high enough.
Old April 28th 05, 09:19 AM
Colin Blackburn

Paul D wrote:
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 00:29:30 +0100, "vernon levy" wrote:

The kids that I teach don't really care that a second hand band raises no
revenue - it's the immediacy of ownership via Ebay or car boot sales that
knocks the charitable intent into the gutter. In addition, ownership of the
band and the ability to demonstrate an affinity to something overides its
provenence.

Simple really, at least for the tunnel visioned kids :-)

Don't forget, the reason children want these bands is nothing to do with what
they represent, or whether or not a charity gets any money from their sale. It's
simply that the other children have got them.

Yes. Most of the kids on the bus in the morning have several different
coloured bands. They are just the bangle of the day to them, nothing
more. They seem particularly popular amongst teenage girls.

Colin

How many wristbands? Maggie General 25 April 30th 05 04:20 PM
Livestrong, again Colin Blackburn UK 8 December 16th 04 11:45 AM
off topic : LIVESTRONG bracelet m General 1 October 11th 04 06:32 PM
Fake letter update Simon Mason UK 5 July 12th 04 11:58 PM