Headphones

Old January 7th 05, 03:40 AM
theGoat

Default Headphones

Given that a cyclist riding on a bike path is required to give an
audible warning when passing a pedestrian, why aren't pedestrians on a
bike path prohibited from wearing headphones or other such devices
which prevent them from hearing said warning? What's the point of madly
ringing a bell if some dosey pillock with their crap music turned right
up can't hear you.

--
theGoat

Old January 7th 05, 04:20 AM
ritcho

theGoat Wrote:
Given that a cyclist riding on a bike path is required to give an
audible warning when passing a pedestrian, why aren't pedestrians on a
bike path prohibited from wearing headphones or other such devices
which prevent them from hearing said warning? What's the point of madly
ringing a bell if some dosey pillock with their crap music turned right
up can't hear you.

Can they hear the clip over the ear as you squeeze by? Check and report
back to the group

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old January 7th 05, 04:25 AM
John Tserkezis

theGoat wrote:

Given that a cyclist riding on a bike path is required to give an
audible warning when passing a pedestrian, why aren't pedestrians on a
bike path prohibited from wearing headphones or other such devices
which prevent them from hearing said warning? What's the point of madly
ringing a bell if some dosey pillock with their crap music turned right
up can't hear you.

And my mates laughed at me when I showed them my air zound.

Nothing says GETOUTTATHEWAY like that little red button. :-)
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old January 7th 05, 05:15 AM
Marx SS

“ cyclists to give audible warning to pedestrians on bike paths ??? "

That's just asking for trouble.
I just rocket past & let them deal with the trauma, or I hit the gras
detour, whatever helps me hold the momentum & make it less complicate
(for all concerned) .
Sounding your approach leaves them open to dart left & then right
then stand here & there & just make it impossible to pass by safely.
Happens every time on the Yarra trail for me personally, except fo
some runners who (acknowledge) ignore the warning & continue o
regardless, maybe hanging left (or right).

Those signs that say “sound your bell”, just leaves the tota
responcibility for pedestrian saftey in the hands of cyclists. I mea
if little johnny falls into the water & drowns because you didn’t rin
your bell as you rode past, where would that leave you

--
Marx SS

Old January 7th 05, 05:15 AM
Bikesoiler

John Tserkezis Wrote:
theGoat wrote:

snip
What's the point of madly ringing a bell if some dosey pillock wit
their crap music turned right up can't hear you.

And my mates laughed at me when I showed them my air zound.

Nothing says GETOUTTATHEWAY like that little red button. :-)

Gotta luuuuurve the Air Zound!

To paraphrase byron27.

One toot,
is all it takes,
to launch a dozey pedestrian

--
Bikesoiler

Old January 7th 05, 09:16 AM
Andrew Reddaway

Bikesoiler wrote:

John Tserkezis Wrote:
theGoat wrote:

snip
What's the point of madly ringing a bell if some dosey pillock with
their crap music turned right up can't hear you.

And my mates laughed at me when I showed them my air zound.

Nothing says GETOUTTATHEWAY like that little red button. :-)

Gotta luuuuurve the Air Zound!

To paraphrase byron27.

One toot,
is all it takes,
to launch a dozey pedestrian.

Yep - and you can toot from far enough away that they can turn around,
do silly things and THEN get out of the way before you have to slow
down!
Old January 7th 05, 09:55 AM
TimC

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 at 05:15 GMT, Bikesoiler (aka Bruce)
Gotta luuuuurve the Air Zound!

To paraphrase byron27.

One toot,
is all it takes,
to launch a dozey pedestrian.

Worst. Haiku. Evar!

NOT A CHANCE! I know for a *fact* the kittens aren't frightened
by temporal anomalies. Clock watching simply ain't their bag.
John Schmidt@ARK
Old January 7th 05, 11:37 AM
powinc

It amazing the reaction you get from walkers (especially the elderly)
when you sound your intention to pass on shared footpaths. For som
reason a bike is the last thing these people tend to expect whe
walking along a shared path or bike path.

powin

--
powinc

Old January 7th 05, 12:06 PM
Steve

Partly on this subject:

Sakar in the US are showing an iPod/MP3 Sound case for bikes so you can
play all your music above 'traffic' noise. 9v battery runs the speakers.
Steve
idealcycles.com

The full release:

LAS VEGAS (2005 International CES, January 6, 2005) --- If you like your
media on the go but don't like the shut-the-world-out feeling of wearing
earphones, Sakar International's new family of Sound Cases will be music to
your ears. These protective carrying cases for MP3, CD and DVD players and
laptops incorporate built-in speakers that let the sound out of the bag ---
literally. Special cases allow the music or other audio to play loud and
proud on bikes and car visors, too.

The line includes seven different bags that are wired for sound. In each
instance, the integrated speaker amplifies the audio so it can be heard
without headphones and even shared with others --- whether on the road or in
the office. As a bonus, the pairing of the case and speaker in one unit
eliminates the need to buy two separate accessories.

The lineup includes:

· MP3 Sound Case (MSRP $29.99), a water-resistant hard-shelled container
with a speaker on the front, an inner mesh pocket to hold the MP3 player in
place, and a storage compartment for memory cards. Shoulder and belt straps
are included.

· CD Sound Case (MSRP $29.99), a slightly larger carrier for CD players with
similar features and a storage compartment that holds up to 12 CDs.

· Stereo Sound Case (MSRP $39.99), a model with two amplified speakers that
accommodates either an MP3 or a CD player, and holds up to 36 CDs.

· DVD Sound Case (MSRP $49.99), a leatherette version that houses a 5" or 7"
DVD player, includes stereo speakers embedded in fold-out flaps on either
side of the open player's screen, and has a front storage compartment for
DVDs.

· Laptop Sound Case (MSRP $59.99), a microfiber carrier with a cushioned
protective laptop compartment and stereo speakers for laptop audio.

· MP3 Car Visor Sound Case (MSRP $29.99), a holder/speaker that pipes MP3
tunes into the car without the messy wires of inverters. The product slides
onto the car visor and has a speaker in the center with separate
compartments on either side for the MP3 player and batteries.

· Bicycle Sound Case (MSRP $39.99), a saddlebag-type carrier with two
built-in speakers and a cushioned compartment that holds either an MP3 or CD
player. The case fits on all bikes, fastens to the bicycle bar with Velcro
with no installation required, is weather-resistant, and delivers enough
volume to play over traffic while also providing safe riding without
headphones.

Each Sound Case runs on a 9-volt battery and gets its audio feed through a
built-in connector that plugs into the media device's headphone jack.

About Sakar International Inc.
Sakar International Inc. designs and manufactures a wide range of
technology, toy, and consumer electronic products. Founded in 1977, the
company is privately held and headquartered in Edison, N.J. For more
information, visit www.sakar.com

Old January 7th 05, 10:52 PM
cogcontrol

Forget bells and even air horns a simple shout "passing on your right
not only warns them of your approach but tells them what you
intentions are

--
cogcontrol