Why do drivers ignore cyclists on roundabouts?

Old February 12th 10, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default Why do drivers ignore cyclists on roundabouts?

This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
Old February 12th 10, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

Doug wrote:

This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

--
UK Radical Campaigns
www.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

I asume from what you've said before your quite slow?

I like roundabouts and can't say I have that problem but i'm fast. the
only roundabouts i don't like are the mini ones.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old February 12th 10, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 12 Feb, 12:05, (Roger Merriman) wrote:
Doug wrote:
This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

I asume from what you've said before your quite slow?

Not always.

I like roundabouts and can't say I have that problem but i'm fast. the
only roundabouts i don't like are the mini ones.

I haver no trouble sharing roundabouts with drivers because other
drivers about to enter the roundabout respect them and give way to
them, as they should. It is when I am alone on a roundabout that I am
ignored and threatened with ramming.

Old February 12th 10, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Doug wrote:

This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

I've never had a problem on a roundabout on the bicycles or in the
cars.

Is it just you being a scared, paranoid ****wit??

--
Paul - xxx

'96/'97 Landrover Discovery 300 Tdi
Dyna Tech Cro-Mo comp
Old February 12th 10, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Grange

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 03:06:52 -0800 (PST), Doug
wrote:

This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

Is it cyclists in general they ignore or just you? Other cyclists
don't seem to get the same problems as you.

Could it be all these incidents are local enough to where you live
such that all these motorists recognise you personally, and that you
have perhaps previously upset them in some way?
Old February 12th 10, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

On 12 Feb, 11:06, Doug wrote:
This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

I very nearly knocked a cyclist off his bike at a roundabout a few
weeks ago. The circumstances where that it was a very dark night, the
cyclist was a coloured lad, wearing all black clothes, riding a black
framed bike with no lights or reflectors. He was almost impossible to
see and not in the illuminated area from my forward facing headlights.
The only thing that stopped me colliding with him was that I luckily
detected some movement out of the corner of my eye, just as I was
about to enter the roundabout.

If you don't want to end up in a hospital A&E department, or a morgue,
you should wear hi viz clothing and fit your bike with lights and
reflectors if riding at night. The flashing LED type lights show up
very well and identify the vehicle as being a push bike.

DC.
Old February 12th 10, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
delboy

wrote:

This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

Is it cyclists in general they ignore or just you? Other cyclists
don't seem to get the same problems as you.

Could it be all these incidents are local enough to where you live
such that all these motorists recognise you personally, and that you
have perhaps previously upset them in some way?

Does anybody know if Doug actually ever drives a car or any other type
of motorised vehicle? Judging by his rantings on this forum, I rather
doubt that he would be considered a fit person to hold a driving
licence!

He certainly doesn't seem to understand the difficulties that cyclists
and pedestrian can cause to motorists. If I had stood strictly on my
rights of way, I would have killed tens of cyclists and scores of
pedestrians by now. Fortunately for them, I always drive defensively
and expect people to do unexpected things.

DC.
Old February 12th 10, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marie

On Feb 12, 11:06*am, Doug wrote:
This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

--
UK Radical Campaignswww.zing.icom43.net
A driving licence is a licence to kill.

I'll have to up the price on that contract, people aren't trying hard
enough.

ML
Old February 12th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

On 12 Feb, 14:51, delboy wrote:
On 12 Feb, 11:06, Doug wrote:

[...]

And as something to be ignored no doubt.

My roundabout incidents have happened in daylight while I was wearing
a reflective vest.

Old February 12th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Doug" wrote in message
This has happened to me several times recently. I wait until there is
no oncoming traffic and enter an empty roundabout. A stream of fast
moving traffic breezes onto the roundabout at the next intersection as
if I was not there and I am in danger of being hit despite having
right of way.

They *will* ignore you if you ride around the edge. You need to take the
same line as you would if you were in a car or on a motorbike. You also need
to look at them to make sure that they really *are* going to give way but at
the first sign of you yielding to them, they will proceed anyway. It's just
the way it is. The roads are a jungle. Deal with it.

Mini roundabouts are another thing. Many drivers don't know who to give way
to. Many drivers give way to cyclists even if the right of way is theirs.
And some drivers think cars have right of way over cyclists regardless. If
you look them in the eye and don't chicken out, they will usually yield.

If there is a problem with roundabouts, I tend to find that it is drivers
trying to overtake as you are exiting. The best way to avoid that happening
is to stay in the centre of the lane as you exit, riding very wide and to
the right, as the exit curves (usually to the left) until it is safe to *be*
overtaken.

If they hoot, I always wave my thanks as I appreciate them slowing down,
staying behind and letting me know they are there and above all, waiting
until it is safe before they try to pass.