A lorry driver hurled abuse at me while I was cycling during lockdown

Old April 15th 20, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default A lorry driver hurled abuse at me while I was cycling during lockdown

QUOTE:
Over the Easter Bank Holiday weekend, I did what I do every weekend - I put on my cycling gear, clipped into my pedals and went for a ride along the roads and lanes of Pembrokeshire.

I am a confident and able cyclist, I rode along roads I know like the back of my hand and, with fewer cars on the road during the coronavirus lockdown, those roads have never been safer.

But then, as I cycled along the eerily quiet A40 on the final three miles of my ride, I was startled by the angry and incessant honking from behind. My immediate reaction was to look behind, while doing approximately 25mph downhill. A dangerous yet instinctive move, which caused me to wobble into the middle of the road.

I could see an arctic (SIC) lorry, towering way above me and still 250m behind, with the driver angrily waving his fist at me as he continued to sound his horn. He passed me dangerously close, as if to make a point, and then disappeared around the corner.

What I didn't know was that he had pulled into a layby just out of sight ahead and was waiting for me to pass him. It was at that moment that he opened his cab door and slow clapped me, while hurling abuse at me. I pulled over to hear him out and try to reason with him. I wanted him to know how dangerous his actions had been for me personally, and also, how wrong he was.

My attempts fell on deaf ears as he yelled at how I was putting the NHS at risk and how I had no right to be out on the road on two wheels.

I pleaded with him to justify the pure vitriol flowing from his mouth, but there was no reasoning to be had. Just abject hatred.

His main bugbear? Why was I out cycling miles from home in full lycra when there was a pandemic ongoing and the country was on lockdown. I was three miles from home, I replied.

Then he asked why I couldn't do it in the garden. Because cycling round a garden isn't really possible, I suggested.

Did I understand the risk I was creating for the NHS, he spat back at me. The roads are virtually empty, I am an experienced cyclist used to riding 100+ miles each week and I haven't stopped at any point on my ride so where was the risk, I tried to ask.

"You're all the same, just trying to make the situation suit your needs," was the only thing he would say over and over again.

The biggest risk I said, was being made to swerve into the middle of the road by a 40-tonne lorry hooting madly at me from a distance. There was only one winner in that instance, and it wasn't me. His anger, while mainly rude and offensive and quite intimidating for a female cyclist, is also misplaced. Why did that driver feel the need to lay into me while I was out doing my daily exercise, as specifically allowed by government advice, for no apparent reason?

There is some confusion as to exactly how that single exercise should be taken, in terms of distance and duration, but there is no debate around just how important exercise is right now. Under the UK's current lockdown rules, the Prime Minister has said people can go out to exercise, whether that be a run, walk or cycle, just once a day.

The Welsh Government's official advice, last updated on April 9, says: "You should only leave the house for very limited reasons, referred to in the Regulations as a reasonable excuse, which include: to take one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household."

I relayed this nugget of factual information to the angry driver. "Oh so that makes it OK does it, putting the NHS at risk..." he started off again.

Well actually, yes it does. I could have quoted the official advice from British Cycling, which says: "Riding a bike is a great way to aid your physical and mental health. Provided you follow the advice on social distancing and good hygiene, it is important to remain active when you can.

"Now, more than ever, we must ride our bikes responsibly - that means only going out once a day, on our own, or with people we live with, and keeping two metres apart from anyone we meet, stopping and waiting for people to pass when necessary.

"Only ride on routes you know well, that are close to home and that are well within your ability level; this is a time for calm recreation, not for challenging yourself."

I had adhered to all of this advice. Cycling UK, which has consulted experts such as Public Health England, Cycling UK’s Policy Director, Roger Geffen and even Cycle Magazine’s medical expert and practising GP, Dr Kate Hattersley, all say cycling should continue, as long as it is in line with the Government guidance. During my ride on Easter Monday, I saw many families heading out along the roads on their bikes, kids out ahead on their mountain bikes while parents trailed behind. It was lovely to see.

For some, the lack of cars on the road is also enough for them to think roads are safer. During a stroll on the roads last week, I came across one neighbour who told me she had decided to venture out on her bike without a helmet. I noticed she was also wearing wedged sandals.

I bet the lorry driver wouldn't have yelled abuse at them. I see it every day - as soon as they see cyclists in lycra, it's like they cease to become a person and are simply a target.

Lycra-clad or not, I am a person, just like anyone else, trying to deal with coronavirus in my own way. For some, that is walking through the park, for others, it is cycling on the roads. Neither are (SIC) wrong.

Parks remain open, subject to the approval of local authorities, although gyms, play parks and kiosks, have closed. Police have powers to issue on-the-spot fines of £30 to people who are seen not adhering to official guidance.

I passed many police cars on my ride on Monday, none of whom thought it necessary to pull me over and send me home.

Finally, just two weeks ago, medics said people should prepare to fight coronavirus like they would prepare for surgery, by staying fit and healthy. Experts at the Centre for Perioperative Care (CPOC) said regular exercise could make it less likely people would be admitted to intensive care should they contract the virus.

Before I parted ways with the angry driver, I pointed to his protruding belly and asked what he was doing to keep fit and healthy and suggested we should resume the conversation after he had tried some exercise himself.

With that, I clipped back in and headed back down the road to cycle the three miles home.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...cling-18088119
Old April 15th 20, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:

Lycra-clad or not, I am a person, just like anyone else, trying to
deal with coronavirus in my own way. For some, that is walking
through the park, for others, it is cycling on the roads. Neither
are (SIC) wrong.

Oops! Laura is not going to benefit from your grammar correction
unless she reads this cycling group. Still, it was a good read - she
didn't get much else wrong.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...cling-18088119

Old April 15th 20, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/04/2020 12:51, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:

[snip]

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...cling-18088119

QUOTE:
I am an experienced cyclist ... etc, etc, ... so where was the risk, I
tried to ask.

That's not for him to decide and it is arrogant of him to imply that it is.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 15th 20, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/04/2020 14:53, JNugent wrote:
On 15/04/2020 12:51, Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:

[snip]

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...cling-18088119

QUOTE:
I am an experienced cyclist ... etc, etc, ... so where was the risk, I
tried to ask.

That's not for him to decide and it is arrogant of him to imply that it is.

....or her, even.

https://www.avg.com

Old April 15th 20, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Practice "lunatic distancing" when out cycling -- much more stringent than keeping human spittle off your face.

Old April 15th 20, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 1:26:58 PM UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
Simon Mason wrote:

QUOTE:

Lycra-clad or not, I am a person, just like anyone else, trying to
deal with coronavirus in my own way. For some, that is walking
through the park, for others, it is cycling on the roads. Neither
are (SIC) wrong.

Oops! Laura is not going to benefit from your grammar correction
unless she reads this cycling group. Still, it was a good read - she
didn't get much else wrong.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/n...cling-18088119

I also had a go at the journo who stated that the deranged driver was in charge of a 40T "arCtic"
Old April 15th 20, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Peter Parry wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 12:26:55 GMT, (Kelly)
wrote:

she didn't get much else wrong.

"I could see an arctic lorry, towering way above me and still 250m
behind, with the driver angrily waving his fist at me"

It must have been a very low pushbike for a lorry to be towering over
it from 250m away and her glasses must be really good to spot the
waving fist at that distance.

"I pulled over to hear him out and try to reason with him".

What is it about cyclists that makes it so important that they must
always start arguments about every perceived slight no matter how
trivial? Any sensible person would simply have carried on with their
journey.

"The biggest risk I said, was being made to swerve into the middle of
the road by a 40-tonne lorry hooting madly at me from a distance."

A self appointed expert cyclist made to swerve because of a vehicle
horn "at a distance"?

She appears to like the middle of the road even when not being
terrified by vehicle horns 250m away.

https://i2-prod.walesonline.co.uk/in...20_Bike-01.jpg

Yes. The uninsured, unregistered, unaccountable, unregistered creature was
in the middle of the lane. There can be no underestimating the stupidity of
a cyclist.

Old April 15th 20, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 7:31:18 PM UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Yes. The uninsured, unregistered, unaccountable, unregistered creature was
in the middle of the lane. There can be no underestimating the stupidity of
a cyclist.

The obese, deranged driver of the lorry must be suffering with small man syndrome if he goes around bullying lone females.
Old April 15th 20, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kelly[_2_]

wrote:

she didn't get much else wrong.

"I could see an arctic lorry, towering way above me and still 250m
behind, with the driver angrily waving his fist at me"

It must have been a very low pushbike for a lorry to be towering over
it from 250m away and her glasses must be really good to spot the
waving fist at that distance.

She is a reporter who write articles on cycling for online publication
(a google search will bring up a few examples of what she has written)
- she needs some journalistic licence to display her writing flair and
style.

"I pulled over to hear him out and try to reason with him".

What is it about cyclists that makes it so important that they must
always start arguments about every perceived slight no matter how
trivial?

A little harsh? How can she be accused of starting an argument, she
says she stopped to listen to what the lorry driver was already
saying?

Any sensible person would simply have carried on with their journey.

Yes, but she's a journalist, as well as a keen cyclist (with plenty of
cycling experience). It is sensible for her to be interested in the
views of other road users - she writes about this suff for a living
(until her best selling novel comes out, maybe).

"The biggest risk I said, was being made to swerve into the middle of
the road by a 40-tonne lorry hooting madly at me from a distance."

A self appointed expert cyclist made to swerve because of a vehicle
horn "at a distance"?

They can be quite alarming those air-horns when they come at you
unexpectedly, even at a distance - they can make most people jump.

She appears to like the middle of the road even when not being
terrified by vehicle horns 250m away.

https://i2-prod.walesonline.co.uk/in...20_Bike-01.jpg

It's merely a posed photo... not an indication of anything else.