Finish line vs. Shimano brake oil?

Old October 22nd 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin B.[_2_]

Default Finish line vs. Shimano brake oil?

Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

Thanks,
Colin

Old October 22nd 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 22 Oct, 18:33, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

Heet ? A suggestion, not an answer.

Old October 22nd 09, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Oct 22, 1:33*pm, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

I'm not dreadfully familiar with the application, but
if the seals, gaskets, & o-rings are oil-safe (I would
tend to assume so from the mineral oil bit) you could
try something like mobil-1 0W-20, or even just some
nice, thin sewing machine oil (should be $8 to $13 a
gallon at any industrial sewing machine shop).

You could also do what the old Chevrolet truck manuals
suggested and mix 10% kerosene in your oil for winter.
We were crazy back in the 1940s like that.
Old October 22nd 09, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Colin B.[_2_]

Norman wrote:
On Oct 22, 1:33?pm, "Colin B." wrote:
Hey all;

Does anyone have any opinions on Finish Line's mineral oil for Shimano
brakes? The (crappy) Shimano M485 brakes on my bike get impossibly stiff
in the winter, and I'm looking for something that maintains a lower
viscosity below freezing.

I'm not dreadfully familiar with the application, but
if the seals, gaskets, & o-rings are oil-safe (I would
tend to assume so from the mineral oil bit) you could
try something like mobil-1 0W-20, or even just some
nice, thin sewing machine oil (should be $8 to $13 a
gallon at any industrial sewing machine shop).

Well, there are lots of alternatives. Finish Line is one, RedLine's
synthetic shock fluids are _apparently_ safe on the seals, and very
selectable. Pentosin (I think) makes stuff that people have been
using successfully for a while. I'm mostly curious about first-hand
experience with how these deal with low temperatures, so I'll have a
starting point. (Bleeding brakes in an unheated garage in October through
April is not something I want to do repeatedly).

You could also do what the old Chevrolet truck manuals
suggested and mix 10% kerosene in your oil for winter.
We were crazy back in the 1940s like that.

I'm pretty sure that a small amount of kerosene would eat the brake
seals in a hurry.

Thanks,
Colin

You missed the finish line! Nobody Racing 0 July 15th 09 05:52 PM
Finish line photos [email protected] Techniques 1 May 13th 09 12:26 AM
QS in retro kit, finish line crash Susan Walker Racing 7 April 7th 09 07:27 AM
Finish line degreaser Nige Danton UK 7 February 12th 09 07:16 PM
TDF: Where is the finish line ? Ravi General 1 July 11th 06 11:51 PM