Impediments: boardwalk???

Old July 21st 16, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
Joy Beeson

Default Impediments: boardwalk???

I searched on "Lake City Greenway" in the futile hope of finding an
official Web site with recent information on it. One of the pages I
found was on IndianaTrails.Com. The page had, below an out-of-date
map, a list of the trail's properties.

Right after "Advantages: Wetland, 2 historic bridges, canoeing,
picnic shelter, iron bridges" we find "Impediments: some boardwalk
over wetlands"

In what sense is a boardwalk an impediment? The boardwalk is easily
navigated on foot or wheelchair or bicycle or crutches or cane; even
though skate boards are forbidden on the boardwalk, they took care to
jam the boards close together so the cracks wouldn't catch their
wheels. So tightly, in fact, that the plants under the boardwalk died
and snow refuses to melt.

It can't be because you have to walk it in the winter; after all, it's
well known that nobody ever rides a bike between November and May.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

I can't restrain myself from commenting on the "advantages": the
"iron bridges" are the "historic bridges" mentioned again. And they
are steel.

The boat launch and the picnic shelter are part of Kiwanis Park, which
was near Chinworth Bridge long before the Chinworth Trail was a hazy
daydream, but anything a trail happens to pass near may be listed as
an advantage. If the map were up-to-date, they could add "connects
Limitless Park to Grace College" to the advantages. I'm surprised
that they didn't mention the City-County Athletic Complex; that was
the main excuse for building Chinworth Trail.

Old July 24th 16, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

"Joy Beeson" wrote in message

[...]

[...]

I do not see how anyone can object to boardwalks and bike paths being used
by both cyclists and walkers. The only downside is that if they get too
crowded, a cyclist will have to slow down and give way to walkers. Mountain
bikers never give way to anyone. I would prohibit mountain bikers from ever
being in the same universe with civilized folks. They are savages and
barbarians and deserving only of being consigned to Hell!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota

Old November 6th 16, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 8:49:13 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
[...]

Joy, I don't know if you've ever navigated a road bike over worn boardwalk but the "wetlands" could possibly be easier.