Cheap bicycle security?

Old June 21st 07, 11:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Bonnell

Default Cheap bicycle security?

A set of hex keys and (minimal) time can remove many components from
most modern bicycles, even if the bike is 'secured' via the standard
cable/U-lock treatment.

I am thinking about filling my hex bolt holes with wax. The idea is
to deter thieves from stealing componentry (bar/stem/brakes). These
components are rarely removed, so the extra hassle (to me) of removing
the wax once a year seems worth the extra hassle (for opportunistic
thieves).

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents? FWIW, I am considering using
Pitlock to secure my wheels/fork.

Old June 21st 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Bonnell

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents?

Epoxy

Sounds extreme, although it certainly would make it difficult to
remove components.

Is there any way to dissolve/remove epoxy without harming the bolts
and/or attached components? I smell a google search coming...maybe
I'll answer my own question.

Any other ideas?

Old June 21st 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Jun 21, 8:01 am, David Bonnell wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents?

Epoxy

Sounds extreme, although it certainly would make it difficult to
remove components.

Is there any way to dissolve/remove epoxy without harming the bolts
and/or attached components? I smell a google search coming...maybe
I'll answer my own question.

Any other ideas?

I find electrical tape & fenders to be a great deterrent. Certainly
not fashionable, but that's why it doesn't get stolen. Anyway, good
luck with your project. I wish you and all cyclists the best when it
comes to avoiding theft.

Old June 21st 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
David Bonnell

I find electrical tape & fenders to be a great deterrent. Certainly
not fashionable, but that's why it doesn't get stolen. Anyway, good
luck with your project. I wish you and all cyclists the best when it
comes to avoiding theft.

I've got no problem with electrical tape. The bike in question is
also my sole off-road steed, so classic (ugly) fenders aren't really
an option. I can only make it so ugly...the bike has some decent
componentry.

I also don't think epoxy will work for me, as it requires harsh
chemicals (or a significant heat source) to remove...either method is
likely to damage other parts of the bike (or me). I foresee some
experiments with wax/silicone/glue in my future.

Old June 21st 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul Myron Hobson

David Bonnell wrote:
A set of hex keys and (minimal) time can remove many components from
most modern bicycles, even if the bike is 'secured' via the standard
cable/U-lock treatment.

I am thinking about filling my hex bolt holes with wax. The idea is
to deter thieves from stealing componentry (bar/stem/brakes). These
components are rarely removed, so the extra hassle (to me) of removing
the wax once a year seems worth the extra hassle (for opportunistic
thieves).

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents? FWIW, I am considering using
Pitlock to secure my wheels/fork.

I've heard of gluing ball bearings into the heads of hex bolts. You can
fish it out with a flathead screw driver later.

Also, a figure 8 of bike chain around the seat stays and saddle rails is
good too.

\\paul
Old June 22nd 07, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Thompson

On 2007-06-21, David Bonnell wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents?

Epoxy

Sounds extreme, although it certainly would make it difficult to
remove components.

Is there any way to dissolve/remove epoxy without harming the bolts
and/or attached components?

Screw a wood screw into the epoxy and pull it out with a pliers.

--

John )
Old June 22nd 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Sir Ridesalot

On Jun 21, 6:18 am, David Bonnell wrote:
A set of hex keys and (minimal) time can remove many components from
most modern bicycles, even if the bike is 'secured' via the standard
cable/U-lock treatment.

I am thinking about filling my hex bolt holes with wax. The idea is
to deter thieves from stealing componentry (bar/stem/brakes). These
components are rarely removed, so the extra hassle (to me) of removing
the wax once a year seems worth the extra hassle (for opportunistic
thieves).

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?
Are there any other cheap deterrents? FWIW, I am considering using
Pitlock to secure my wheels/fork.

Hi there.

For epoxy, first coat the hex heads with a light grease then fill with
epoxy. The greas makes digging out the epoxy a snap.

To ugly up a steel bike try this. Find any old pieces of rrusted steel
and brush or scour off as much of the rust as you can letting the rust
powder fall onto paper to be collected. Mix the rust powder with white
glue or rubber cement until you get a thin paste. Apply liberally to
all welded joints and areas near them. Would be thieves leave your
bike alone because they think it is about to fall apart. Apply more of
the paste to the rims between spoks and where the brake pads don't
contact the rim. This makes the rims appear to be old steel chromed
ones.

Cheers from Peter

Old June 22nd 07, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 03:18:07 -0700, David Bonnell
wrote:

Does anyone have any suggestions (besides wax) for filling hex bolts?

Clear silicon caulk.
--
zk
Old July 1st 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
oldhickory

That's hiLARious!

--
ie