Bicycle Security - Commuter Diaries

Old February 26th 12, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

Default Bicycle Security - Commuter Diaries

"Simon Mason" wrote in message news:...
QUOTE;
I live in a bike theft hot spot alas (it should be like horse theft in the
Old West), so I thought I would share with you some of the musts for bike
security.

I wish this were unnecessary...

1. Get a good lock or lock combo if you are running qr wheels.

2. Consider the bolt through axles of a SS if you are commuting regularly
in
the city.

3. Get a clunker, a useable but slightly beaten up bike if necessary,
something that doesn't attract attention. This can be quite liberating
having a pub / shopping or town bike that you are less worried about. It's
also an excuse to buy or build another steed.

4. Gaffer tape over any logo's etc.

5. Make sure your home security is as good as you can make it with floor
anchors, good locks and security lights.

8. Make sure your home and contents insurance covers your bikes.

9. Vary your ride home so as not to be followed. This can also be quite
liberating as it refreshes your commute and can challenge your riding
routine.

10. Use cycle lanes where appropriate as it is harder for cars to follow
you
and if we don't use them one day they will be taken away.

11. If you feel you are being followed by another cyclist, mix up your
route
home or stop and delay.

12. If at a trail centre, lock your car and bike appropriately and
discreetly check you are not being followed home.

Better still, don't leave it in a public place.
I never do.

--
Simon Mason

Old February 27th 12, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Feb 26, 6:26*pm, "Simon Mason"
wrote:
[...]

I used to leave it outside my barbers, but I even walk there nowadays
instead as it only takes me 90 minutes or so one way..

--
Simon Mason

BBC World Service : Bicycle Diaries Peter Fox[_7_] UK 0 January 17th 09 09:32 AM
Bicycle Diaries Doug[_3_] UK 9 January 14th 09 11:19 AM
The Bicycle Diaries. Simon Mason UK 12 January 10th 09 09:58 PM
Cheap bicycle security? David Bonnell General 9 July 1st 07 08:08 PM
Bicycle Commuter Patches [email protected] Social Issues 4 January 22nd 06 09:16 PM