Mountain Biking - Ban vs. Compromise

Old June 10th 16, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

Default Mountain Biking - Ban vs. Compromise

Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain bikers are such scofflaws.

It was good to read your point of view and I get
that perception is a big deal. However, the
activist mountain bikers don’t seem to share
your point of view. I’ve observed a total
disregard for the laws by these activists and
yet they are not seen as “freaks” as you
identified yourself. I also agree that walking
in wilderness should not be banned and that the
“damage” hikers do is not nearly as horrible as
biking does. I never considered mountain biking
(I’ve always been a street/paved path
bicyclist). Because of Mike’s activities and
his sharing on the damage of this activity to
our wilderness and the bicyclists has made me an anti-mountain biking activist.

I think that if we could get enough volunteers
around the world to adopt a trail or two that
does not allow mountain biking; we can help the
park rangers with enforcement. I began that
process by hiking a trail in Oakland’s
wilderness and discovered the website was not
current in its information. So I helped by
communicating with East Bay Parks and they fixed
it. Now I’m adopting a new trail which I will
begin next week (weather permitting).

I don’t think this is radical – I think it’s a
good way to begin the process of educating
everyone to the radical mountain bikers who
don’t care about wilderness in the same way most folks do.

My Process:
· Walk the trail at least one time per week
· Bring a whistle (and light if necessary)
· Wear nice bright clothes so you are
not invisible ( a safety vest is good)
· Bring a cell phone (or satellite if you have one)
· Enjoy nature while paying attention
· If you run across illegal trails or
mountain bikers, be polite but ask them to get
off of their bikes and walk to the nearest legal trail (have one in mind).

Or back the way they came, which they don't like.

If they are hostile, use your whistle and cell phone and
· Then report any incidents (minor or major) to the park rangers.

Good idea! A digital camera is also useful.

Photographing them sends them a message, and
inhibits their law-breaking, and the photos may be
useful for law enforcement. I think that a
digital camera usually takes clearer photos than a cell phone.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great – Minnesota

Old June 10th 16, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 08:27:39 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain bikers are such scofflaws.

Ed, what trenches are you referring to? The ones that you dig yourself
and then post as Proof"?

I will say that you do have a well developed gasp on fantasy, but
that alter the fact that in reality you are still the little greedy
fellow defending his toy box from all comers. "No! NO! Get out of
here! You can't play with my toys"
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 10th 16, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

*

[...]

After carefully trying to observe the "damage" that bikes cause I noted that the bikes cause the damage of smoothing out the rain ruts on soft ground and making no damage on hard ground except where kids on bike tried to jump logs laying across the trail from rain or wind fallen trees. It sure is terrible that a fallen tree can have chunks carved out of it by sprokets.

So what you are really complaining about is that you don't want anyone else using "your" trails.
Old June 10th 16, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

wrote:

Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain
bikers are such scofflaws.

Ed, what trenches are you referring to? The ones that you dig yourself
and then post as Proof"?

Jesus Christ Almighty! If I were a jackass and an asshole like you, that is
exactly what I would have said too!

Old June 10th 16, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
EdwardDolan

wrote in message ...
[...]

After carefully trying to observe the "damage" that bikes cause I noted that the bikes cause the damage of smoothing out the rain ruts on soft ground and making no damage on hard ground except where kids on bike tried to jump logs laying across the trail from rain or wind fallen trees. It sure is terrible that a fallen tree can have chunks carved out of it by sprokets.

I am not overly concerned about the damage that bikes do to trails. I suspect most damage is done to trails when bikes are ridden on wet surfaces. Mike Vandeman is the expert on that. I am concerned about the damage that mountain bikes do to the psyche of hikers.

So what you are really complaining about is that you don't want anyone else using "your" trails.

This borders on a John B.ull**** response. Be careful I don’t treat you like I do him. The reasons why I don’t want bikes on trails is all here on this newsgroup. I am not going to go over and over old material for your benefit. Either get up to speed or get lost.

Old June 11th 16, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
news16

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 08:27:39 -0500, EdwardDolan wrote:

Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain
bikers are such scofflaws.

Let me guess, scofflaw was word of the month in Reader's Digest.

Old June 11th 16, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 10:15:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I have the impression that it is more a matter of control, rather than
a logical decision. From all he writes, bicycles belong on the
highway, not in the woods, and he is not going to allow you to defile
"his" forests.

And the fact that the Federal Government built most of what he is so
defensive of makes no difference at all.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 16, 06:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:00:48 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

After carefully trying to observe the "damage" that bikes cause I noted that the bikes cause the damage of smoothing out the rain ruts on soft ground and making no damage on hard ground except where kids on bike tried to jump logs laying across the trail from rain or wind fallen trees. It sure is terrible that a fallen tree can have chunks carved out of it by sprokets.

I am not overly concerned about the damage that bikes do to trails. I suspect most damage is done to trails when bikes are ridden on wet surfaces. Mike Vandeman is the expert on that. I am concerned about the damage that mountain bikes do to the psyche of hikers.

Oh, a bloke who was convicted of, what was it, assault with a weapon?
is your hero?

Who will you deify next? An axe murdered?

So what you are really complaining about is that you don't want anyone else using "your" trails.

This borders on a John B.ull**** response. Be careful I dont treat you like I do him. The reasons why I dont want bikes on trails is all here on this newsgroup. I am not going to go over and over old material for your benefit. Either get up to speed or get lost.

Nope, don't bother to go over it. Keep it a secret clutched to your
bosom.

After all if you were to actually divulge your secrets we'd all
discover that you have no reasons at all. Except "NO, NO, I won't have
it, I forbid you?". Sort of "you can't play with MY toys".

Ed Dolan the Great Minnesota

Of course "Great". Great Prevaricator.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 16, 07:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:48:47 -0500, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

Another report from the trenches. I think bans only work since mountain
bikers are such scofflaws.

Ed, what trenches are you referring to? The ones that you dig yourself
and then post as Proof"?

Jesus Christ Almighty! If I were a jackass and an asshole like you, that is
exactly what I would have said too!

I will say that you do have a well developed gasp on fantasy, but
that alter the fact that in reality you are still the little greedy
fellow defending his toy box from all comers. "No! NO! Get out of
here! You can't play with my toys"

Jesus Christ Almighty! If I were a jackass and an asshole like you, that is
exactly what I would have said too!

But you, not being me, prefer curses and foul language. Yes Sir. A
true gentleman.

But then, tiny little boys valiantly defending their "turf", i.e., the
toy box, have been known to use bad language and in the old days got
their mouth washed out with soap and water to teach them not to talk
that way.

Apparently there was a shortage of soap at your house?
--
cheers,

John B.