Cyclist left hooked at junction by HGV

Old May 11th 17, 05:46 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Cyclist left hooked at junction by HGV

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...turn-left.html
Old May 11th 17, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 10 May 2017 21:46:16 -0700 (PDT)
wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...turn-left.html

It doesn't seem reasonable to undertake a truck in that situation,
particularly if you're going to hesitate to pull out when the
opportunity presents. Where did the car driver think the truck was
headed, if not into the nearside lane? But the truck driver should have
been aware that leaving so much room on the nearside /might/ tempt the
driver of a smaller vehicle, and check before pulling out. If the car
was genuinely in a blind spot, rather than a "I could have seen it if
I'd bothered to look" spot then the truck needs more mirrors or CCTV.
I find it hard to apportion blame in this one, but I think it mostly
rests with the car driver.

Old May 11th 17, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 4:01:39 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

I find it hard to apportion blame in this one, but I think it mostly
rests with the car driver.

In the DM comments, it says "swap car driver with cyclist and then see who is to blame".
Old May 12th 17, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...turn-left.html

It doesn't seem reasonable to undertake a truck in that situation,
particularly if you're going to hesitate to pull out when the
opportunity presents. Where did the car driver think the truck was
headed, if not into the nearside lane? But the truck driver should have
been aware that leaving so much room on the nearside /might/ tempt the
driver of a smaller vehicle,

Smart truckers deliberately try to block other lanes for that reason.

Old May 12th 17, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...turn-left.html

http://mashable.com/2017/04/20/truck.../#Elk2pPFbfqqN

This is easy to explain.

The suspension in ag trailers is so bad a trucker might not really notice a lot of new scraping noises. It's over 500 km to Bakersfield so after waiting 10 hours in the field to get loaded, carrot truckers ave. 3 hours of sleep / day.

Log books are of the open binder type so, if the trucker makes it to his destination w/o getting pulled over, he swaps out his previous post dated log page for a new post dated log page showing he got some sleep. Each old log page is then burned.

So many tractors were breaking down on the I-10 one carrot hauling company alone represented a clear majority of all the disabled vehicles heading W. toward LA.

Highway 58 is a very nice scenic drive through Tehachapi and the Mojave but if you ever cycle or drive there January - June, give the carrot trucks a wide berth.

Bret Cahill