Boston Cycling - You make the call

Old July 29th 20, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Boston Cycling - You make the call

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 30th 20, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I could probably get myself hit this way once a week if I pushed it.
Massachusetts drivers are really quite considerate when it comes to
giving someone a break, assuming they're good and stuck anyway. The
drivers so advantaged don't waste a lot of time squeezing in.
Old July 30th 20, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bertrand[_3_]

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision not only
with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with someone who decides at
the last second to get out of that traffic and turn right. I probably would
have approached that intersection at no more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there? Just wait in line with
the other vehicles?
Old July 30th 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 30.07.2020 um 15:02 schrieb Bertrand:
https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left.* She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way.* Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision
not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with
someone who decides at the last second to get out of that traffic and
turn right.* I probably would have approached that intersection at no
more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there?* Just wait in line
with the other vehicles?

Rule 1 is "always chose a speed that allows you to stop in time".

So if you approach a junction where the "straight though" traffic is not
moving, you should have a max speed not more than 10mph.

When you approach a junction at 10 mph and see a car turning directly
into your path, you should be able to take avoiding action independent
of the driver's error (if you desparately need a new bike you might
still rely on the car yielding to you but it's not worth the hassle).
Old July 30th 20, 04:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 8:58:54 PM UTC+2, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Apart from the legal matter that is a really not so smart cyclist. Holding the handlebar like that. Phone, Garmin, GoPro camera, handlebar bag, Ukrainian flag(?) but most of all riding at that speed in that kind of situation. Unbelievable. 'John got killed in an accident but he had the right of way', not nice phrase on your tombstone.

Lou

Lou
Old July 30th 20, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 7:21:02 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
AMuzi writes:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I could probably get myself hit this way once a week if I pushed it.
Massachusetts drivers are really quite considerate when it comes to
giving someone a break, assuming they're good and stuck anyway. The
drivers so advantaged don't waste a lot of time squeezing in.

We are in agreement there. Plus I would be expecting a left turning vehicle because of the traffic density. And these people normally try and rush through the intersection because they are frustrated with the traffic.
Old July 30th 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 6:21:47 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
[...]

How many riders under the age of 25 do you believe follow Rule 1?
Old July 30th 20, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/30/2020 9:02 AM, Bertrand wrote:
https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left.* She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way.* Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision
not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with
someone who decides at the last second to get out of that traffic and
turn right.* I probably would have approached that intersection at no
more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there?* Just wait in line
with the other vehicles?

Vehicular cyclists aren't a monolithic bunch, so the question becomes
"Approved by who?"

But I think most competent vehicular cyclists would pass that line of
traffic on the right, but at a much slower speed. Here are quotes from
Cycling Savvy, which I generally think is the best source:
http://commuteorlando.com/wordpress/...he-left-cross/

"Passing a queue of cars on the right is a high risk activity, in most
cases. The above photo is the scene every day on Edgewater Drive at
lunchtime and rush hour (at lunchtime the parking spaces are full). My
first response to this situation was, “Oh good! they’re stuck and I have
a clear lane!” I was disabused of that notion by the front quarter panel
of a Jeep Cherokee.

"Between getting hit and other constant conflicts, I learned to ride
slowly (6-8mph) when passing the queued cars, and to be prepared to stop
any time there was a car-length gap between 2 cars."

And:

" If you are operating to the right of traffic (in a wide lane or bike
lane) and are being passed by a line of cars, be aware of any gaps. When
the last one passes you, any cars waiting to turn left will be ready to
jump. This can happen at any intersection or driveway."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 30th 20, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Bertrand writes:

https://nypost.com/video/can-i-get-a...ly-close-call/

unclear to me.

Cars were stacked up for at least two blocks at the light, but did not
block the intersection, allowing the driver to turn left. She was not
watching for the biker, who had the right of way. Still and all, I
don't think I would have wanted to go as fast as he did when to the
right of stopped traffic.

I agree. Blasting through the intersection like that risks a collision
not only with a left-turning car that you can't see, but also with
someone who decides at the last second to get out of that traffic and
turn right. I probably would have approached that intersection at no
more than a fast walking pace.

What's the approved vehicular cyclist behavior there? Just wait in
line with the other vehicles?

I can't speak to vehicular cyclist approval, but any cyclist waiting in
a long line of backed up cars in Massachusetts would be considered
mental, and possibly dangerous.