Drivers "scared" by so many cyclists on a Sunday

Old October 18th 15, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Drivers "scared" by so many cyclists on a Sunday

QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling "overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull
Old October 18th 15, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lang

On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling "overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

Good job cycling has declined drastically since 1948.
Old October 19th 15, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 18/10/2015 22:36, David Lang wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

Good job cycling has declined drastically since 1948.

It's obvious to everyone except you, that in 1948 very few people could
afford cars, the main mode of transport was either horses
Old October 19th 15, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 19/10/2015 10:10, Bod wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:36, David Lang wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

Good job cycling has declined drastically since 1948.

It's obvious to everyone except you, that in 1948 very few people could
afford cars, the main mode of transport was either horses or bicycles for

the common man.

Old October 19th 15, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling "overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

This "scared" business is a funny thing.

I remember my niece at about 5 years old telling me she was scared of
spiders.

She was holding a spider by its leg at the time, whilst she pulled its
other legs off, it struck me that the spider was probably a lot more
"scared" of her.

I think some people are unable to see things from the other person's
perspective.
Old October 19th 15, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/10/2015 10:26, Bod wrote:
On 19/10/2015 10:10, Bod wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:36, David Lang wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

Good job cycling has declined drastically since 1948.

It's obvious to everyone except you, that in 1948 very few people could
afford cars, the main mode of transport was either horses or bicycles for

the common man.

So is today's general level of affluence higher or lower than it was in
1948?
Old October 19th 15, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Monday, 19 October 2015 12:11:24 UTC+1, Nick wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling "overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

This "scared" business is a funny thing.

I remember my niece at about 5 years old telling me she was scared of
spiders.

She was holding a spider by its leg at the time, whilst she pulled its
other legs off, it struck me that the spider was probably a lot more
"scared" of her.

I think some people are unable to see things from the other person's
perspective.

Apparently, I have heard of some drivers being scared by hand gestures whilst being inside a 1.5 tonne tin box. Fear can come from many benign sources.

Old October 19th 15, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 19/10/2015 13:15, JNugent wrote:
On 19/10/2015 10:26, Bod wrote:
On 19/10/2015 10:10, Bod wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:36, David Lang wrote:
On 18/10/2015 22:26, Alycidon wrote:
QUOTE:

"One Surrey resident referred to a rapid growth in cycling
"overtaking" the roads on Sundays, with driving very difficult. He
said some residents are too scared to drive on Sundays because the
roads are so packed with people on bikes."

http://road.cc/content/news/169205-n...a-wearers-dull

Good job cycling has declined drastically since 1948.

It's obvious to everyone except you, that in 1948 very few people could
afford cars, the main mode of transport was either horses or bicycles
for

the common man.

So is today's general level of affluence higher or lower than it was in
1948?

Most definitely, especially as you consider that rationing was still
being used for food etc. Very few could afford a TV, only the fairly
well off could afford a car. A telephone was regarded as a luxury.
I was born in 1948 and my parents couldn't afford a tv or a phone
untill I was about 13 yrs old. A car was simply out of the question.
I remember most other residents in our street being in a similar situation.
Old October 19th 15, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 19/10/2015 10:26, Bod wrote:
On 19/10/2015 10:10, Bod wrote:
[...]

Same here.

Somewhere, I have a photograph of my first motor vehicle (when I was 19,
I think). It's the only one in the terraced street (where today, I can't
easily find a parking space when I visit).

But given this increase in affluence, which is the more likely to
continue to grow, cycling or driving? You have identified affluence as
the counter-indicator for cycling.

And as an aside, isn't this a side-issue where Surrey is concerned?

After all, the "growth" in cycling there is not the result of an
increase in cycling generally, but stems from a fad for cycling along
the route of some fairly recent "sporting" occasion, irrespective of the
disruption it causes to local residents.
Old October 19th 15, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_5_]

On 19/10/2015 10:26, Bod wrote:
On 19/10/2015 10:10, Bod wrote:
[...]

The demographic-economic paradox

In less wealthy regions of the world, the bicycle is the poor man's mode of transport: they cannot afford a motorised alternative. In the rich world, it is the wealthier who can afford to care about their health who cycle.