Bottle holder

Old May 25th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Bottle holder

On Sat, 25 May 2019 14:16:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 24 May 2019 10:10:50 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

Actually if one selects the proper size hose clamp there shouldn't be
any "long end sticking out". and they do come in different sizes :-)

The height of the hose clamp head is about 12 mm. I tried to position
the clamp head under the water bottle, but the 12 mm was higher than
the space between the water bottle and the down tube. So, the clamp
was installed with the head on the side of the down tube. (There were
two back to back water bottles attached with two clamps).

The end of the stainless strap can be adjusted to hide under the
projecting adjustment screw. Like this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71%2BzOxf-hBL._SX425_.jpg
Problem was that I couldn't break off the excess strap length with the
pliers in that position. I would have needed to mark the desired
length, unscrew the strap completely, break off the excess, and put it
back together. However, I didn't, resulting a later readjustment
causing the strap to project beyond the screw head.

It is called "proper installation", i,e. making sure that everything
fits properly and there aren't any sharp ends sticking out.

It may take a while, but eventually you will learn that it is much,
much, more pleasant to install things properly rather then limp around
wounded all the time :-)

If I had to do it again, I probably would try one of these "clamp
jackets":
https://www.clampjacket.com
Please note the availability of such a solution to this alleged
non-problem suggests that the problem might be quite real.
https://store.pyiinc.com/collections/clamp-jacket/products/clamp-jackets
$6 for 25 pcs in 1/2".

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/25/2019 6:33 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 05:37:07 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/24/2019 7:46 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2019 08:08:37 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I just had a look at Amazon and a Kennedy "machining's tool box is
almost $600 :-(

I paid $35 for my first one in about 1970. I currently have 3 of
them, including one copy my father made from mahogany. They can be
had used on eBay for $100 to $150 including shipping:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=kennedy+520+machinist+tool+box
or new from various sources for $300 to $400:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=shop&q=kennedy+machinist+tool+box+520

I'll reply to accusations of ineptitude for failing to deburr the hose
clamp later. Verrry bizzeee for a few daze.

Or at least put some heat shrink tubing over the end.

I find all this emotion about hose clamps to be a bit... well
amateurish. After all the aircraft I used to work on were full of hose
clamps and no one seemed to get injured. See
https://tinyurl.com/y5xmgp8t
https://tinyurl.com/y66v5o3u
https://tinyurl.com/yxrk5wps

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 26th 19, 03:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 26 May 2019 05:33:28 +0700, John B.
wrote:

I find all this emotion about hose clamps to be a bit... well
amateurish. After all the aircraft I used to work on were full of hose
clamps and no one seemed to get injured. See
https://tinyurl.com/y5xmgp8t
https://tinyurl.com/y66v5o3u
https://tinyurl.com/yxrk5wps

Did anyone ride on top of the diesel or aircraft engines?
If they did, I suspect that the injury rate from hose clamp slashes
might be somewhat higher.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 26th 19, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 25 May 2019 20:38:11 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Maybe if we get the "safety" nannies to focus on hose clamps, they'll
leave bicycles alone!

Well, we could add a safety wire to the hose clamp:
"Safety Wire Those Worm Drive Clamps"
https://avidflyer.fandom.com/wiki/Safety_Wire_Those_Worm_Drive_Clamps
Maybe start with a wave of horror stories about cyclists injured by
running over water bottles that had fallen off insecure bottle cages
attached with unsafe non-wired hose clamps. I'll volunteer my two
hose clamp injuries to start the campaign for safer water bottle
mounting clamps. If that gets the attention of the media or
aftermarket bicycle accessory market, maybe we can commission a survey
of volunteer cyclists to count the number of hose clamps found on the
road, some of which probably fell off of water bottle cage mounts. By
offering a bounty for hose clamps found, statistically relevant
figures can be manufactured errr... determined. Nothing is sacred
when safety when invoked in the name of safety.

Old May 26th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

Or do it like the airplane people do and have an inspector inspect
everything and if it isn't "right" it gets done again.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 24 May 2019 06:04:49 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

Please note, "RECTANGULAR NOTCHES" not drilled holes.
Unless, of course, you anticipate cutting rectangular holes to install
the cylindrical revnuts.

Square Hole Drill-bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Drilling Square Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Old May 26th 19, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

The is some sort of theory, "Occam's Razor" I believe, that says that
the simplest solution is likely to be correct ?

A correlation might be "do it the simple way and you won't get hurt".
Just stick the damned bottle in your pocket :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 24 May 2019 10:26:31 +0700, John B. Slocomb
wrote:

I was referring to your statement "vent the piece with drainhole(s)"
:-)

Condensation on boats is a serious problem. I lived on a boat for
about 6 months. Without ventilation, mold and mildew formed on all
uninsulated surfaces. Plenty of rust and corrosion everywhere.
Bicycle frames can have similar condensation problems. All my frames
have drain holes mostly because at one time, I stored my bicycles in
an unheated shed. It's less of a problem when stored indoors or in an
insulated garage.

Old May 26th 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

Please note, "RECTANGULAR NOTCHES" not drilled holes.
Unless, of course, you anticipate cutting rectangular holes to install
the cylindrical revnuts.

Square Hole Drill-bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Drilling Square Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Interesting. Years ago I used a somewhat similar device for drilling
square holes in wood. A very limber triangular bit inside a square
guide the limited the size of the hole and sheered the hole to an
exact size. Probably wouldn't have worked in metal.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 26th 19, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

Please note, "RECTANGULAR NOTCHES" not drilled holes.
Unless, of course, you anticipate cutting rectangular holes to install
the cylindrical revnuts.

Square Hole Drill-bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALiqAXiTQBg

Drilling Square Holes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjckF0-VeGI

Interesting. Years ago I used a somewhat similar device for drilling
square holes in wood. A very limber triangular bit inside a square
guide the limited the size of the hole and sheered the hole to an
exact size. Probably wouldn't have worked in metal.
--
cheers,

John B.

IIRC, at one time Quakers building wooden boats/ships used square pegs in round holes because that'd lock the peg more securely.

Cheers