Man bites dog

Old June 6th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Man bites dog

In article .com,
"Bret" wrote:

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Bret schreef:
http://fischer-wade.net/ouch.htm
Let me know if you want to hear the story.

Let me guess; you fell on a wooden stake used to mark the course. I like
gory stories, gimme the details.

--
E. Dronkert

OK, I've updated that link with the full story.

Bret

Damn, that could not have felt good, Bret. I'm not sure what's more unnerving - a
bad wound that gushes blood or one that doesn't. At least when it's bleeding you
don't get much chance to see what's inside. Last year I was changing a part in a
lathe I was running and sliced (about 1-1/4" long) the back of my hand on one of the
tools. I could see bone on two fingers and one large vein, but it didn't really
bleed. Just a bit of oozing. Bandaids, tape and a glove and kept on working.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old June 6th 06, 07:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm

Old June 6th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

"Howard Kveck" wrote in message

Damn, that could not have felt good, Bret. I'm not sure what's more
unnerving - a
bad wound that gushes blood or one that doesn't. At least when it's
bleeding you
don't get much chance to see what's inside. Last year I was changing a
part in a
lathe I was running and sliced (about 1-1/4" long) the back of my hand on
one of the
tools. I could see bone on two fingers and one large vein, but it didn't
really
bleed. Just a bit of oozing. Bandaids, tape and a glove and kept on
working.

http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.htm

You win.

MY EYES, MY EYES! Jeez, what is with you guys anyway?

Old June 7th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

in message , Donald
Munro ') wrote:

Mark wrote:
There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike
crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

If you don't crash you're not trying hard enough.

H'mmm... I have a friend I ride with who is Scottish XC champion. He
doesn't crash very often. I'm not. I do. There's probably something in
this. Apart from the fact that he's thirty years younger, 25Kg lighter,
and about ten times fitter, of course.

;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)
Old June 7th 06, 10:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

?

I was in no way trying to imply what Frank was feeling. I was pointing
out that passing a vehicle whose actions are curious is a bad really
idea.

INDEED. I would go as far that passing anything (man or animal)
walking/riding/standing wich behaves erratic should be taken with
caution.

A few years ago I barely missed a child walking with her parents. I had
seen the kid, but still overtook them like I would normally pass
people. The kid swerved 1-2 yards (really not that much) and that was
just enough to be uncomfortably close. The kid stopped in time. I
should have anticipated better and given more room. I also didn't have
full situational awareness (hadn't really checked for othert trafic,
wich wasn't there thank god).

The result were upset parents and my heartrate going thru the roof. And
yes, the parents were right, I could have avoided the situation easily.
And no, I do not think that the parents realistically could have
avoided it, unless we go about leashing children 24/7.

We already have had one poster here permanently injured in a somewhat
similar crash. I don't know if either case could have been prevented by
closer attention and care but it is possiblity.

Yep, caution is usually a good advice.

Every time I attend Centuries these days I see a large and increasing
number of whacko riders who pass within scant inches of my bar ends.
While I'm generally going to look before I change my course, there's
always the possibility that I'll hit something and be thrown over
enough to touch. So from the very start, pretending that you're in a
paceline with people whom you don't know is a bad idea but doing it
around people whose skill levels are questionable is even dumber.

What does it take for people to use common sense when they're on the
road. Bicycle accidents are rare enough but let's make them unusual.

A very very good and lucid post

Snake bites mountain biker Marty Australia 0 December 28th 05 09:30 AM
My bicycle bites other people !.!.! Hans-Marc Olsen General 1 November 18th 04 09:31 AM
Bag bites the black rose General 2 September 27th 04 09:03 AM
Man bites dog brian roth Racing 2 August 20th 04 06:44 PM
New bike and GT still bites. Shaun Bell Mountain Biking 9 June 2nd 04 08:04 PM