Man bites dog

Old June 4th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Man bites dog

So, I tagged a Suburban today. It's about time somebody fought back.
Blew off the local crit and went for a long mountain ride instead with
a couple of friends. We're descending Lee Hill and I gaining on the
target. He's giving me some ambiguous signals. The turn signal is on,
but he's also pumping his brakes ( it's an old rust bucket Suburban)
and I have no idea what he's doing. He's drifting into the lefthand
lane ,so I assume he's pulling off to the left. In hindsight I now
understand that he's setting up for a righthand turn into an uphill
driveway. My descision to pass on the right is flawed. Too late, I
brake for all I'm worth and it's not happening. Fortunately, I
instinctively aim for the softest spot on the softest SUV in all of
Boulder County. There's a very loud bang, the driver yells WTF! but
there's surprisingly little pain. My friends tell me there was big
bounce, but some how I end up walking off the bike, and standing in the
road saying to the driver, "sorry about that". He's pretty cool and
asks me if I'm ok. I say yeah, but how's your truck? I think I dented
it. Now I'm looking at it and I see that there's no way I've decreased
it's value. He walks around back and looks at my impression and
decides that it's not an issue and we're both on our way. So I ride
home with a twisted handle bar and blood running down my shin. Later
that day I'm lucky enough to be standing in Excel Sports buying yet
another Ritchey WCS, Classic bend, 42 cm, OS diameter handlebar.

Bret

Old June 4th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article .com,
"Bret" wrote:

So, I tagged a Suburban today. It's about time somebody fought back.
Blew off the local crit and went for a long mountain ride instead with
a couple of friends. We're descending Lee Hill and I gaining on the
target. He's giving me some ambiguous signals. The turn signal is on,
but he's also pumping his brakes ( it's an old rust bucket Suburban)
and I have no idea what he's doing. He's drifting into the lefthand
lane ,so I assume he's pulling off to the left. In hindsight I now
understand that he's setting up for a righthand turn into an uphill
driveway. My descision to pass on the right is flawed.

Bret: don't DO that!

As an endorser of LIVEDRUNK, I remind you that gin can help you get
through the next few days.

Old June 4th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

Old June 4th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
In article .com,
"Bret" wrote:

So, I tagged a Suburban today. It's about time somebody fought back.
Blew off the local crit and went for a long mountain ride instead with
a couple of friends. We're descending Lee Hill and I gaining on the
target. He's giving me some ambiguous signals. The turn signal is on,
but he's also pumping his brakes ( it's an old rust bucket Suburban)
and I have no idea what he's doing. He's drifting into the lefthand
lane ,so I assume he's pulling off to the left. In hindsight I now
understand that he's setting up for a righthand turn into an uphill
driveway. My descision to pass on the right is flawed.

Bret: don't DO that!

As an endorser of LIVEDRUNK, I remind you that gin can help you get
through the next few days.

Thanks for the advice Ryan, but the 12 oz pain relief is working just
fine.

Bret

Old June 4th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mark wrote:
There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

You've got this entirely wrong. There are actually more than two types
of cyclists. I haven't caused a crash in a road race since 1983 when I
really was a beginner. The last time I got caught up in a crash in a
road race was over ten years ago. It's cyclocross and mountain biking
where I do all the damage. I've had three serious injuries in the last
five years but I haven't "bragged" about them here. Here's the most
recent one:

http://fischer-wade.net/ouch.htm

Let me know if you want to hear the story.

Bret

Old June 4th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bret schreef:
http://fischer-wade.net/ouch.htm
Let me know if you want to hear the story.

Let me guess; you fell on a wooden stake used to mark the course. I like
gory stories, gimme the details.

--
E. Dronkert
Old June 5th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

snip original post for top poster Bret wrote:

Mark you remind me of the guy who is always bitching at the start of a cat 4
crit about how everyone should hold their line and and don't blah, blah
blah... The expert still riding as a cat 4 telling everyone else how to
ride. Stop mothering everyone.

-p

Old June 5th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Pippen" wrote in message
. ..

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

snip original post for top poster Bret wrote:

Mark you remind me of the guy who is always bitching at the start of a cat
4 crit about how everyone should hold their line and and don't blah, blah
blah... The expert still riding as a cat 4 telling everyone else how to
ride. Stop mothering everyone.

-p

should not have left that "Bret wrote:" in there. That was all me...

-p

Old June 5th 06, 09:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mark wrote:
There are two types of cyclists - one type brags about his bike crashes
and scraps like a war battle and war wounds. The other type of
cyclists looks at road rash as an indication that this person is a
danger to be around. Bret, you sound like a beginer rider. Hopefully
you don't do to many local hilly road races as well as the local
crits..

If you don't crash you're not trying hard enough.
Dutch proverb
Old June 5th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bret wrote:

You've got this entirely wrong. There are actually more than two types
of cyclists. I haven't caused a crash in a road race since 1983 when I
really was a beginner.

That may be Bret but you made a rank amateur mistake. Think about this
while you're hurting - you might just as easily have been killed.

WHY did you feel the need to pass someone when their actions were still
questionable?

On the Sierra Century, Saturday, apparently someone was trying to pass
another guy on the downhill and like all FREDS was trying to pass
really close to show what a great and brave bike handler he was. He
touched a wheel, wobbled into the other lane as a car came along. RIP.

Acting like an ass on a bicycle quite luckily doesn't prove fatal
99.999% of the time. But I'd just as soon we never saw that remaining
thousanth of a percent.

Snake bites mountain biker Marty Australia 0 December 28th 05 09:30 AM
My bicycle bites other people !.!.! Hans-Marc Olsen General 1 November 18th 04 09:31 AM
Bag bites the black rose General 2 September 27th 04 09:03 AM
Man bites dog brian roth Racing 2 August 20th 04 06:44 PM
New bike and GT still bites. Shaun Bell Mountain Biking 9 June 2nd 04 08:04 PM