Out of Shape out of mind

Old April 9th 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Out of Shape out of mind

I did a short 33 mile ride with 2000 feet of climbing. About half of it was above 10%. I don't know it the meter is correct but it read 17% in one place which didn't look that steep. But by that time I was too tired for my legs to tell me anything but OUCH.

I had to stop on the long climb THREE times. And I usually don't stop even on the 18% 1/4 mile climb.

I'll sure be glad when spring arrives and my brother's eyes are finally repaired so that I don't have to take him to the doctor. And I'll be having cataract surgery Wednesday. And the other eye as soon as that one is healed.

Getting old ain't for sissies.
Old April 11th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2017-04-09 14:44, wrote:
I did a short 33 mile ride with 2000 feet of climbing. About half of
it was above 10%. I don't know it the meter is correct but it read
17% in one place which didn't look that steep. But by that time I was
too tired for my legs to tell me anything but OUCH.

I had to stop on the long climb THREE times. And I usually don't stop
even on the 18% 1/4 mile climb.

I'll sure be glad when spring arrives and my brother's eyes are
finally repaired so that I don't have to take him to the doctor. And
I'll be having cataract surgery Wednesday. And the other eye as soon
as that one is healed.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

If it's any comfort, same here. With me it's not the leg muscles but
simply running out of breath. My usual weekly valley run is around 40mi
and I have to get back up here, 1300ft higher with lots of up/downs. I
ride all through winter but can feel that the slog back up the hills at
the end is harder than it was just two years ago. Especially with cargo
which used to never bother me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Well, when my heart rate gets 10 beats above max, you can't breath with the lungs of a Tyrannosaurus Rex. And then that breaks you down. When I'm in shape and I do that all I have to do is slow down and let my breathing and heart rate catch up. But I'm so far behind this year that I have to stop. Then the first couple of times I do this I'm fine after stopping for a minute or so but then I just get progressively more tired.

Getting old ain't for sissies.

TD in tip top shape ! Keith Racing 0 September 6th 09 11:16 PM
Something to keep in mind Bill C Racing 2 August 11th 07 11:40 AM
Out of shape -- or maybe not? Claire Petersky General 22 February 15th 06 08:04 PM
Out of shape -- or maybe not? Edward Dolan Recumbent Biking 6 February 15th 06 08:04 PM
Mind the gap Colin Blackburn UK 4 November 19th 04 09:34 PM