What is the case with belt drive?

Old October 17th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default What is the case with belt drive?

What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html
Old October 17th 09, 04:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Andre Jute schreef:
What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's books at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

Andre, Santos has a bike (in development) with a belt drive and they are
very pleased with the performance. See this report of a ATB race in the
hills in the south of the Netherlands famous for the very sticky mud. I
can confirm that. The drive (with a Rohloff) worked perfectly. I once
took part in an off road ATB race over there and a derailleur drive
doesn't work in those conditions. Every 10 km you have to scrape the mud
from between the sprockets because the chain skipped. I went through a
complete set of brake pads within 25 km. In the report the said after
the race a rinse with a hose and the bike was ready to go for the next race.
The advantage compared to a Rohloff hub with a chain is that you don't
have to clean and lube every ride I think.

See

http://www.santosbikes.nl/?ct=nieuws...1&nav_active=7
http://www.santosbikes.com/?ct=bikes...,santos,santos
http://www.beltdrivebicycles.com/ind...iemaandrijving

Sorry it is in Dutch, but you can look at the pictures.

Lou

Old October 17th 09, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DaveC

http://www.santosbikes.com/?ct=bikes...ive=265&bik e

type=,santos,santos

I used Babelfish translation to read it in English. The term "oar" keeps
cropping up. I doubt it's a cute figure-of-speech because it's so frequently
used.

What, in this context, is "oar"?

Dave

Old October 17th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DaveC

http://www.beltdrivebicycles.com/ind.../hoe-werkt-het

(scroll to the bottom photo)

Hmm... major frame modification required. Chain stays must be extra strong?
Maybe this is the advent of bolt-together frames (at least the rear
triangle)?

Old October 17th 09, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

DaveC schreef:
http://www.santosbikes.com/?ct=bikes...ive=265&bik e

type=,santos,santos

I used Babelfish translation to read it in English. The term "oar" keeps
cropping up. I doubt it's a cute figure-of-speech because it's so frequently
used.

What, in this context, is "oar"?

Dave

oar?? Is that the Dutch word or the babelfish translation of the Dutch
word? I can't find it in the Dutch text. Can you copy paste a Dutch
sentence with that word in it?

Lou
Old October 17th 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

DaveC schreef:
http://www.beltdrivebicycles.com/ind.../hoe-werkt-het

(scroll to the bottom photo)

Hmm... major frame modification required. Chain stays must be extra strong?

Yes you have to have a special frame for that. Extra strong? I doubt.
That part is in compression. Look at some modern frames. These tubes are
getting very skinny in diameter; for comfort reasons they say.

Lou
Old October 17th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Andre Jute wrote:
What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

We sold quite a few Bridgestone toothed-belt drive the last
time the fashion came around. Almost as good as a chain, but
with a bonus "my bike is special" factor.

chain, belt, whatever. Both systems have advantages and
disadvantages but I don't find belts compelling. If you do,
then by all means try one.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 17th 09, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

http://www.santosbikes.nl/?ct=nieuws...iemaandrijving

Sorry it is in Dutch, but you can look at the pictures.

Lou

Don't worry about the Dutch; I speak better Dutch than those two guys
who wrote the Santos literature. I'm very happy to have this Santos
reference. I especially like the bit where he says he guarantees the
Rohloff hub a bigger distance every year, when he has himself ridden
further without trouble. There's a guy you can buy a bike from with
confidence!

Get back to you about the belt drive when I've read the external
reference http://www.beltdrivebicycles.com/

Andre Jute
Global Warming is like Scientology, only with less science
Old October 17th 09, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Oct 17, 10:14*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

We sold quite a few Bridgestone toothed-belt drive the last
time the fashion came around. Almost as good as a chain, but
with a bonus "my bike is special" factor.

chain, belt, whatever. Both systems have advantages and
disadvantages but I don't find belts compelling. If you do,
then by all means try one.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Give us some chapter and verse, Andrew. Advantages, disadvantages, why
you fail to find belts compelling.

Rereading Lou's posts, I just discovered that a special frame is
required... That makes it expensive to buy one "just to try"!

Andre Jute
I'm not cheap, I'm poor
Old October 18th 09, 08:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

AMuzi wrote:

Andre Jute wrote:

What is the case with belt drive? Efficiency? Reliability? Advantages
and disadvantages? Likehood of seeing it in the hood soon?

We sold quite a few Bridgestone toothed-belt drive the last
time the fashion came around. Almost as good as a chain, but
with a bonus "my bike is special" factor.

chain, belt, whatever. Both systems have advantages and
disadvantages but I don't find belts compelling. If you do,
then by all means try one.

I understand that the latest iteration of carbon fiber reinforced
belts from Gates does not require as much static tension as previous
versions. This reduces drag and wear on both hub and bottom
bracket.

Seems like belt drive would be a good companion for a coaster brake,
airless tires, one-piece crank, etc. A bike equipped this way could
provide an unmatched degree of readiness.

Chalo

Belt Drive Arrives Chalo Techniques 12 November 26th 08 07:11 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 22nd 08 12:40 AM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 10:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 10:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 10:53 PM