New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

Old March 25th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default New Ohio law: Drivers leave 3-foot gap to pass bicyclists

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 3:45:38 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
Have you ever "hacked" a computer? Whatever would make you think that this is so easy that you could break multiple encryption systems like playing "Donkey Kong?

I also hacked my uncle: http://tinyurl.com/ihackedmyuncle

Gee, I thought the piece was going to be about hacking a pacemaker or something. My wife has deep brain stimulators fed by pulse generators implanted in her chest and abdomen. They're remote programmable. I'm waiting for the Russians to hack her. If you jack up the current, her right arm twitches up in a little Nazi salute. It's right out of Dr. Strangelove. The hackers could probably get her to slap me, or so she would claim.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old March 25th 17, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/24/2017 6:45 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Have you ever "hacked" a computer? Whatever would make you think that this is so easy that you could break multiple encryption systems like playing "Donkey Kong?

I also hacked my uncle: http://tinyurl.com/ihackedmyuncle

That was very, very cool.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 25th 17, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, March 24, 2017 at 3:45:38 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
Have you ever "hacked" a computer? Whatever would make you think that this is so easy that you could break multiple encryption systems like playing "Donkey Kong?

I also hacked my uncle: http://tinyurl.com/ihackedmyuncle

Sutter is generally known for having good doctors. But when I was taken there with severe concussion they stood me up and pushed me out the door. When I questioned them (after becoming lucid 2 1/2 years later) why they didn't keep me overnight for observation the doctor laughed and asked, "Why?"
Old March 27th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Have you ever "hacked" a computer? Whatever would make you think that this is so easy that you could break multiple encryption systems like playing "Donkey Kong?

Tom, get a clue.

Get a clue about what? After all I am an electronics engineer and programmer.

Tom, the top two attack vectors have been, for some time, buffer overflows and cross-site scripting. Neither requires decrypting anything. Regarding the former, there's a great artical "smashing the stack for fun and profit", phrack 49. http://phrack.org/issues/49/1.html

Old March 28th 17, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:20:09 -0700 (PDT), Doug Landau
wrote:

Have you ever "hacked" a computer? Whatever would make you think
that this is so easy that you could break multiple encryption
systems like playing "Donkey Kong?

Tom, get a clue.

Get a clue about what? After all I am an electronics engineer and
programmer.

Tom, the top two attack vectors have been, for some time, buffer
overflows and cross-site scripting. Neither requires decrypting
anything. Regarding the former, there's a great artical "smashing the
stack for fun and profit", phrack 49.

That and just conning the user into giving up his or her credentials,
probably much easier than actual hacking. Hacking the wetware is going
after what is usually the weakest link.
Old March 28th 17, 08:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Tom, the top two attack vectors have been, for some time, buffer
overflows and cross-site scripting. Neither requires decrypting
anything. Regarding the former, there's a great artical "smashing the
stack for fun and profit", phrack 49.

That and just conning the user into giving up his or her credentials,
probably much easier than actual hacking.

No. Conning users is time-intensive. Probing for buffer overflow vulnerabilities is automated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Script_kiddie

Hacking the wetware is going
after what is usually the weakest link.

No. This might be cute thing to say in pithy way but the fact is that when a new vulnerability is divulged, attempting to exploit the new vuln is the weakest link. For example, when a new buffer overflow vulnerability in the Windows 7 implementation of some windows component or other is divulged, the weakest link is immediately that vulnerability, and the easiest hacking is probing all IP addresses one has in one's database for that vuln.

Conning users into giving up their credentials happens occasionally. The conning of users that happens regularly - in numbers on the order of the number of buffer overflow attacks - is the conning of them into clicking on an email which delivers a buffer overflow attack. Or browser malware, although that in turn might phone home with credentials.

If your target just happens to be - out of all the computers in the world - a computer belonging to your roommate or friend or coworker, then what you say might well be true. It is also true that wetware likes crappy passwords, and those can be found by probing. But with breaches of computer's perimeters numbering in the hundreds of millions per year, contact with the user/computer owner id relatively rare, and conning users out of their credentials ranks far down on the list of exploits by %.