Behold: Future Shock

Old April 4th 17, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default Behold: Future Shock

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

--
JS
Old April 4th 17, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details? Did I miss
something?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 4th 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 04/04/17 13:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details? Did I miss
something?

Did you scroll down? There isn't a detailed mechanical drawing or test
data, but there is a cut away view that shows springs in what I gather
is a telescopic fork steering tube of sorts.

And this...

"The Future Shock features up to 20mm of travel, and it's positioned
above the head tube in order to move in a vertical path. So when the
front wheel encounters rough terrain, the bike moves up towards your
hands and preserves your forward momentum without slowing you down.

Another important fact is that, because the Future Shock is positioned
above the stem, the bike's wheels are held together rigidly by the
frame. In other words, because the wheelbase isn't changing throughout
the suspension's travel, like with traditional systems, you get the
added benefit of extremely predictable handling."

"The Future Shock is designed for road riding, not off road trails, so
the system needs to be incredibly active. We've found that springs offer
the best solution to absorbing the frequencies you encounter on the
road, and to grasp why, you just have to look at what's already out
there. Other suspension systems with damping are just too heavy for road
riding, and because of stiction, they require too much force to initiate
their travel. And because of this, they’re pretty ineffective at
smoothing out road chatter."

--
JS
Old April 4th 17, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 3 Apr 2017 23:41:06 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details? Did I miss
something?

The future is shocking?

It's been around since about Sept 2016. That's enough time for there
to be plenty of web sites, videos, and test reports:
(web)
https://www.google.com/search?q=specialized+future+shock
(video)
https://www.google.com/search?q=specialized+future+shock&tbm=vid
(photos)
https://www.google.com/search?q=specialized+future+shock&tbm=isch

Tech specs, calculations, performance tests, measurements, numbers?
Nada. If you find an analysis, I would be interested in reading it.
I'm also trying to figure out how it prevents added friction from side
I can't tell if there is an internal shock absorber in the stem, if
the entire stem insert is the shock absorber, whether it's externally
pressurized, or if it is big enough to do anything useful. (Note:
There is a shock absorber in the seat post). The guts:
http://cdn.velonews.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/0Q6A4932.jpg
Also, I noticed that all of the bicycles shown in the various Future
Shock web pages use wide 28-32mm tires. I wonder if the superior ride
that the reviewers experienced is due to the wide tires and not the
Future Shock spring thing?

This will be a hit-n-run posting. I'm busy resurrecting some junk
microscopes for the next few daze.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old April 4th 17, 10:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details? Did I miss
something?

Never mind the technical drawings, what is this stiction - "and
because of stiction, they require too much force to initiate their
travel" - is this some new force that we should be aware of?

Will people be saying things like, "Oh, I couldn't open the door,
there is too much stiction"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old April 4th 17, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/3/2017 10:41 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details?
Did I miss something?

Marketing 101: "The crap we sold you last year is no good.
Here's the new one."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 4th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details?
Did I miss something?

Marketing 101: "The crap we sold you last year is no good.
Here's the new one."

Hey, my son sold a couple of the Di2 models just the other day -- a husband and wife pair. If someone wants to put him through college, that's fine with me. He reports that the Roubaix does not ride like a pogo-stick.

I'm not buying Di2 because I'm worried about Russian hacking.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 4th 17, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

On 4/3/2017 9:44 PM, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

Tantalizing, but where are the technical/mechanical details? Did I miss
something?

Never mind the technical drawings, what is this stiction - "and
because of stiction, they require too much force to initiate their
travel" - is this some new force that we should be aware of?

Will people be saying things like, "Oh, I couldn't open the door,
there is too much stiction"?

It's a term common in the hard disk drive business. When two highly
polished surfaces connect, considerable force is required to separate
them again. No adhesive required. For the disk drives, when the
polished head lands on the polished platter, they stick. The motor
has to work harder to separate the two before head can be made to fly
again. My guess(tm) is that the suspension system has the same
problem, although I can't imagine exactly where.

Old April 4th 17, 04:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Mon, 03 Apr 2017 22:07:12 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

I wonder if the superior ride
that the reviewers experienced is due to the wide tires and not the
Future Shock spring thing?

This is ridiculous. If Specialized wanted to smooth out the potholes
and road bumps, they should have used a vertical mass damper as is
often used in skyscrapers. Or perhaps produced a vertical electric
generator, which would convert the energy lost in the bumpy vertical
motion into forward motion using a motor instead of wasted as heat
inside a shock absorber:
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/bike-generator-harnesses-power-from-bumps-on-the-road.html

It is also possible to use wearable technology. All that's needed are
two large springs wrapped around the riders forearms. That would
produce the same effect as putting a spring in the stem. Actually,
the springs aren't really necessary as they could be replaced with an
air bag between the hands and the handlebar grips. The bicycle might
ride like a boneshaker, but your arms will never feel a thing while
wearing the air springs.

Old April 4th 17, 05:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 9:44:04 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/future-shock

--
JS

Seatpost shock absorbers often become very sloppy with a fair bit of play after a whil. I wonder how the steering will be affected once this unit develops play?

Cheers