Bicycle Mags

Old April 11th 17, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Bicycle Mags

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html
Old April 11th 17, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 11th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:07:00 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

We toured the entire California coast on those gears. Of course we were a great deal younger.
Old April 11th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

What's the smallest ring that can go on 110?
Old April 11th 17, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:43:39 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

What's the smallest ring that can go on 110?

Ok, I see it's a 33

Does one not see much smaller inner rings commonly on road triples these days?

Old April 11th 17, 08:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 3:26:43 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

At the time I'm referring to (early to mid 1980s)cranksets with 28-38-48 teeth were common. You could even pull the 28 and replace it with a 26 or even a 24.

Cheers

Old April 11th 17, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:43:39 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

What's the smallest ring that can go on 110?

A 33 and then you're pushing it. One of the bolt holes will be directly next to a tooth indentation.
Old April 11th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:34:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:07:00 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

We toured the entire California coast on those gears. Of course we were a great deal younger.

How many teeth on this small ring Tom?
Scroll down past the blue one
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...s-project.html
Old April 11th 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:45:37 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:43:39 PM UTC-7, Doug Landau wrote:
On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/11/2017 2:06 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

I remember Bicycling articles in the 1980s saying that 15 gears were NOT needed on a touring bike and also articles about improving the bicycle but the item in the article had THREE wheels and thuse was a tricycle not a bicycle.

LOL given the way they chose the small rings in those days, having the triple didn't help much anyway
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/6060212592.html

Not an extreme case though. That's a 110mm Sugino forged
crank with a 34 (or 36? can't see) inner, the original from
which today's modern compacts are derived.

What's the smallest ring that can go on 110?

Ok, I see it's a 33

Does one not see much smaller inner rings commonly on road triples these days?

Most stock triples have a 30 tooth but available are 26's and 28's. These do not help much because while you are spinning more to move at any given speed that speed is so low at that point that you are losing in time what you gain in leverage.
Old April 11th 17, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 12:49:59 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

But low gears on the freewheel was often a 25 or in extreme cases a 27.