Kool Stop brake pads really do work

Old May 9th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Kool Stop brake pads really do work

A couple of years ago, I was given a 1949 Raleigh Lenton Sport. It was
all original except for the tires and grips.

I slapped a new saddle on it (to replace the broken Brooks), replaced
the shifter and cable, and removed the grease that had been injected
into the AW hub. It then became my commuter bike.

Being the cheapskate I am, I didn't replace the brake blocks. The
god-knows-how-old brake pads on the steel wheels made for poor stopping
in the dry and a positively scary trip in the rain.

After reading Sheldon Brown's glowing comments regarding the Kool Stop
salmon pads, I finally ordered up some Kool Stop pads from Harris
Cyclery. Today was my first ride with them. Even in the morning rain
they were phenomenal. I couldn't believe that just changing the pads
would make such a big difference but I was wrong. The Kool Stop pads
really do live up to their reputation and are just the ticket in rain
country.

John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

Old May 10th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Király wrote:
You think they are good now, try changing your steel rim for an aluminum
alloy one. That'll make an even bigger difference.

I certainly considered doing that, but I just didn't feel like spending
the cash.
I decided I try the $6 brake pads before the $50 wheel.

John Thurston
Juneau, Alaska

Old May 10th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

My experience is to the contrary! They have embedded grit and scrape up the
rims and cause flats, not to mention slowing me down!!!

How does grit scraping the rims cause flats?

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 10th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 9 May 2006 18:50:00 -0400, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
wrote:

My experience is to the contrary! They have embedded grit and scrape up the
rims and cause flats, not to mention slowing me down!!!

And how exactly have the brake pads caused flats?

Jeff
Old May 10th 06, 05:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My experience is to the contrary! They have embedded grit and
scrape up the rims and cause flats, not to mention slowing me down!!!

And how exactly have the brake pads caused flats?

Jeff

Oy... rhetorical smilies don't translate well...
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old May 10th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My experience is to the contrary! They have embedded grit and
scrape up the rims and cause flats, not to mention slowing me down!!!

And how exactly have the brake pads caused flats?

Jeff

Oy... rhetorical smilies don't translate well...

If your original post was an attempt at humor, it failed miseably. For
a moment I thought it might be an attempt at humor, but seeing nothing
funny, I dismissed that idea.

If somebody does research, at a later date, they will take your post
as being serious. Which helps no one.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old May 10th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

My experience is to the contrary! They have embedded grit and
scrape up the rims and cause flats, not to mention slowing me
down!!!

And how exactly have the brake pads caused flats?

Jeff

Oy... rhetorical smilies don't translate well...

If your original post was an attempt at humor, it failed miseably. For
a moment I thought it might be an attempt at humor, but seeing nothing
funny, I dismissed that idea.

Interesting. So if there was nothing funny, why did you think for a moment
it might be an attempt at humor? Brake pads = slowing down, ergo why would
I not want it to do so?

If somebody does research, at a later date, they will take your post
as being serious. Which helps no one.

Warning! Unfunny thread!

Hopefully that'll set 'em straight. wink wink nudge nudge chuckle

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Brake pads eating rims? [email protected] Techniques 27 July 29th 05 07:44 PM
Do Longer Brake Pads wear rim faster? Tom Nakashima Techniques 26 March 27th 05 02:48 AM
brake pads for Nashbar road shoes? [email protected] Techniques 4 March 4th 05 08:33 PM
Brake Pads Lee UK 8 February 18th 04 12:34 AM
*Edit Me* - New FAQ addition on brake squeal. ant Techniques 1 July 23rd 03 06:52 AM