Can not get bike to shift gears properly

Old August 15th 19, 06:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

On 14/08/2019 22:10, Andy wrote:
My local bike shop used a gauge to measure my chain stretch. It
showed it needed replacing. One is on order. He is also looking for
an adapter so the bike can be outfitted with a higher quality
derailler. He replaces his chain 5 times a year. My bike is about 18
months old and has the original chain.

FIVE TIMES A YEAR!!! He does more mileage than I used to do in a year
in a car. My chain was good for 2,000 miles even in poor commuting
conditions of sand, rain, snow and 40C.