Torque wrench

Old February 23rd 05, 09:05 PM
cc

Default Torque wrench

What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike adjustments?

Old February 23rd 05, 09:40 PM

cc wrote:
What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike

adjustments?

Some say 20-250 in-lbs.

This chart will give you some specs for various bicycle components:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/torque.shtml

so you would want something in this range if these components or
similar are being used.

Old February 23rd 05, 09:40 PM
Shawn

cc wrote:
What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike adjustments?

From about 50 inlbs for brake rotors (at least my Avids) to about 50
ftlbs for the fixed cup of a bottom bracket and lots in between.
Google torque wrench on this ng for a recent thread. You may need two
wrenches to cover the range.
FWIW, for most applications I use the "It shouldn't hurt to tighten it."
rule. The way this works is: With a normal sized wrench for the nut or
bolt my hand shouldn't hurt after pushing on the wrench. No dents in
the skin of my palm either (at least after a few seconds). And no extra
long allen wrenches, recipe for a stripped or broken bolt.

Shawn
Old February 24th 05, 02:25 AM
S o r n i

cc wrote:
What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike adjustments?

How long is your arm?

Old February 24th 05, 03:53 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Shawn wrote:
cc wrote:
What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike
adjustments?

From about 50 inlbs for brake rotors (at least my Avids) to about 50
ftlbs for the fixed cup of a bottom bracket and lots in between.
Google torque wrench on this ng for a recent thread. You may need two
wrenches to cover the range.
FWIW, for most applications I use the "It shouldn't hurt to tighten
it." rule. The way this works is: With a normal sized wrench for
the nut or bolt my hand shouldn't hurt after pushing on the wrench. No
dents in the skin of my palm either (at least after a few
seconds). And no extra long allen wrenches, recipe for a stripped or
broken bolt.

I would say extra long allen wrenches (2.5mm - 6mm) are a recipe for a
twisted wrench... bolts those sizes never yield, and 8-10mm wrenches torque
down no problem.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 24th 05, 04:29 AM
Michael Dart

cc wrote:
What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike adjustments?

I have a 20-250 inlb clicker for small stuff and a beam type Craftsman for
the big stuff. Cost me about $90US plus hex/torx bits.

Mike

Old February 24th 05, 04:58 PM
Shawn

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Shawn wrote:

cc wrote:

What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike
adjustments?

From about 50 inlbs for brake rotors (at least my Avids) to about 50
ftlbs for the fixed cup of a bottom bracket and lots in between.
Google torque wrench on this ng for a recent thread. You may need two
wrenches to cover the range.
FWIW, for most applications I use the "It shouldn't hurt to tighten
it." rule. The way this works is: With a normal sized wrench for
the nut or bolt my hand shouldn't hurt after pushing on the wrench. No
dents in the skin of my palm either (at least after a few
seconds). And no extra long allen wrenches, recipe for a stripped or
broken bolt.

I would say extra long allen wrenches (2.5mm - 6mm) are a recipe for a
twisted wrench... bolts those sizes never yield, and 8-10mm wrenches torque
down no problem.

Never yield? Never's a long time. I've seen plenty break, right at the
base of the head. And not *all* my fault. :-)
Usually though, what I've seen is that either the bolt head or the
wrench strips. Maybe it's the bolt/wrench tolerance, but to me it seems
like 5mm bolts can snap or strip easily, but 8 mm can handle more torque
than I can give. Go figger.

Shawn
Old February 24th 05, 05:46 PM
Shaun aRe

"cc" wrote in message

What's the appropriate range for a torque wrench for bike adjustments?

Slack, slack-ish, medium, tight-ish, and snap - HTH, HAVVND.

Shaun aRe

Old February 24th 05, 08:49 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I would say extra long allen wrenches (2.5mm - 6mm) are a recipe for a
twisted wrench... bolts those sizes never yield, and 8-10mm wrenches
torque down no problem.

Never yield? Never's a long time. I've seen plenty break, right at the
base of the head. And not *all* my fault. :-)
Usually though, what I've seen is that either the bolt head or the wrench
strips. Maybe it's the bolt/wrench tolerance, but to me it seems like 5mm
bolts can snap or strip easily, but 8 mm can handle more torque than I can
give. Go figger.

It's the effective force at each facet of the wrench. If you give 1Nm of
torque on a 1m wrench, the flats of a 5mm wrench will experience a little
less than 200N at the wrench/bolt interface, whereas the flats of a 8mm
wrench will experience only a little less than 125N. That's a reduction of
almost 40% with only a 3mm size difference.

I've broken cheap 5s that consist of metal bonded together with a seam
running down the middle... a poor excuse for a real tool. Forged tools are
the only way to go.

What kinds of bolt heads have you snapped, and on what specific part?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old February 24th 05, 11:51 PM
Shawn

[...]

That 'splains it then, thanks.

I've broken cheap 5s that consist of metal bonded together with a seam
running down the middle... a poor excuse for a real tool. Forged tools are
the only way to go.

What kinds of bolt heads have you snapped, and on what specific part?

Brake cable binder bolts (SunTour road as well as cheapy ones in the
shops I've worked in).

Shawn

Easton EA70 stem AC Techniques 10 November 17th 04 08:00 AM
Torque wrench for BBs Paul Davis UK 12 August 11th 04 12:12 AM
Torque wrench recommendations Paul Davis UK 14 April 8th 04 05:24 PM
Torque Concept versus Torque Measurement Calvin Jones Techniques 2 April 8th 04 05:23 PM
Park Torque wrench. and NM's Neacalban1 Techniques 1 January 4th 04 12:21 PM