Odd run of flats, one for good luck.

Old August 10th 09, 05:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Odd run of flats, one for good luck.

The other day, tuesday I think, I noticed I had a flat on the BMX when
I went to head to work. No big deal, different bike and on with it.
Patched the BMX tube when I got home. Odd, the hole, a tiny puncture,
was on the inside of the tube where it meets the rim. Tape looks
good, no protrusions, etc. Wrote it off as an odd pinch flat, which
considering how I ride the bike is not unusual.

Rode the road bike quite a bit yesterday, and then gave it a serious
TLC session. This AM I rode it to the barber, about 1/2 mile each
way. Couple curbs, RR crossing, etc. Would have been better suited
to the BMX but the road bike was right next to the door, and I wanted
to ride it post TLC session anyway. Noticed tonight that the rear
tire was flat. Huh... 2 rear flats in a week. Had been ~ a year
since my last flat. Whatever, pull the tube to check it out. 2 tiny
punctures, just like what was on the BMX. Just far enough 1 patch
won't cover it, and just close enough 2 patches would get in each
others way. Check the tire, check the rim, again no sign of a cause.
Eventually stop looking and reluctantly install a brand new tube.
Take it for a midnight test ride in case I somehow missed a foreign
object between feeling and inspecting with a bright light. Doesn't
flat while I'm riding, but I expected that. Pressure in the AM will
tell the tale.

Anyway, as I'm walking the bike up the steps to my front door I hear a
neighbor down the street call me, so I head down. Turns out while
letting the neighborhood kids take turns on my BMX while I talked to
the older brother of 2 of them earlier, my phone fell out of my
pocket. I hadn't noticed. They were hanging out outside when they
head the low battery beep, hunted it down and held it. They didn't
want to come knocking due to the hour, but when they saw me coming in
from my test ride they called me down and returned my phone. Worked
out pretty nicely in the end. Now to hope the new tube holds and the
dual punctures were a snakebite type pinch flat.

OTOH, the other tube is the first flat I've had in years that I could
not patch, barring huge tears from pinch flats on the BMX folding the
tube under the rim. I'm now out of spare tubes... guess it's time
for another stop @ the LBS. Oh well, I've got functioning bikes and
my cell phone back. Not bad overall, especially considering I got the
phone back before I even knew it was missing G

Sometimes living in a heavily populated neighborhood isn't nearly as
bad as it's made out to be.
Old August 10th 09, 05:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 9, 9:50 pm, " wrote:
[...]

While you're there ask them about some different sized patches (you
know - like the BandAid assortment).

Old August 10th 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 9, 9:50 pm, " wrote:
The other day, tuesday I think, I noticed I had a flat ...

snip

[...]

Hmm... Ever wonder if all flat tires are really just dynamic
adjustments in time, space, and destiny (e.g. to keep you out of an
otherwise impending bad situation ahead)? (Probably not, but thinking
that way would make what otherwise seems an inconvenience much less
annoying, wouldn't it ;-)

Old August 10th 09, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 10 Aug, 17:59, Dan O wrote:
On Aug 9, 9:50 pm, " wrote:

[...]

and you wait oh so long, and three come along all at once.
Old August 10th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 10, 12:22 pm, Dan O wrote:
While you're there ask them about some different sized patches (you
know - like the BandAid assortment).- Hide quoted text -

I've got 2 sizes, small circle and rectangular w/ round edges. I've
seen larger circles but still wouldn't cover anything the rectangular
doesn't. How many other sizes are there? LBS doesn't have anything
else, maybe I'll check EMS tomorrow night (working too late tonight,
and with scattered boomers in the forecast no reason to take the ride)

On Aug 10, 12:59 pm, Dan O wrote:
Hmm... Ever wonder if all flat tires are really just dynamic
adjustments in time, space, and destiny (e.g. to keep you out of an
otherwise impending bad situation ahead)? (Probably not, but thinking
that way would make what otherwise seems an inconvenience much less
annoying, wouldn't it ;-)- Hide quoted text -

Nope, never wondered that. Was pretty neat my flat yesterday resulted
in getting my phone back though G

On Aug 10, 1:13 pm, someone wrote:
and you wait oh so long, and three come along all at once.- Hide quoted text -

Three?! I see what ya did there! checks CO2 supply That third you
just wished on me better hold off until I get some new tubes, likely
tomorrow.

Oh, and for an update the tire was still solid this AM. Guess it was
a pinch. Not surprising. Going to start hopping the RR crossing, it's
a pretty brutal transition.
Old August 10th 09, 09:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 9, 11:50*pm, " wrote:
The other day, tuesday I think, I noticed I had a flat on the BMX when
I went to head to work. *No big deal, different bike and on with it.
Patched the BMX tube when I got home. *Odd, the hole, a tiny puncture,
was on the inside of the tube where it meets the rim. *Tape looks
good, no protrusions, etc. *Wrote it off as an odd pinch flat, which
considering how I ride the bike is not unusual.

You've also entered a phase of not pumping up your tires. They are
ancillary concepts.

Old August 10th 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 10, 4:48*pm, landotter wrote:
On Aug 9, 11:50*pm, " wrote:

The other day, tuesday I think, I noticed I had a flat on the BMX when
I went to head to work. *No big deal, different bike and on with it.
Patched the BMX tube when I got home. *Odd, the hole, a tiny puncture,
was on the inside of the tube where it meets the rim. *Tape looks
good, no protrusions, etc. *Wrote it off as an odd pinch flat, which
considering how I ride the bike is not unusual.

You've also entered a phase of not pumping up your tires. They are
ancillary concepts.

Nope, I hit the BMX tires once a week. Since they run such low
pressure to begin with, they stay well above the lower end of the
range over the course of the week. That rear is rated for max 40PSI
and never really drops below 35. The road bike I tend to do before
every ride, at worst (which was the case the day of the barber run &
flat) the night before the ride. I also inflate the road tires to 100
and they're rated for 90, so even with an overnight loss of whatever
it's still above 90.

Any chance running them slightly over pressure caused this? I sort of
doubt it since they appear to have been pinch flats, and we're not
talking much over, 10% at most (and less in both instances since
neither was fresh off the compressor that day).
Old August 10th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On Aug 10, 12:59 pm, Dan O wrote:

[...]

You may get sheets of prepared patch material, just use a pair of nail
scissors to cut the right size. Or clean up some old tube and use
that. Spread out a thin layer of repair fluid and leave to dry as you
would for the punctured tube. Use cooking foil and you have a pre-
prepared patch that you can carry to ease emergency use.
Old August 10th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On Aug 9, 11:50*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you've caught brandtitis, go have a beer.
Old August 10th 09, 11:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

More beer, again
On 10 Aug, 23:22, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Dan Klutz wrote:
The other day, Tuesday I think, I noticed I had a flat on the BMX
when I went to head to work. *No big deal, different bike and on
with it. *Patched the BMX tube when I got home. *Odd, the hole, a
tiny puncture, was on the inside of the tube where it meets the
rim. *Tape looks good, no protrusions, etc. *Wrote it off as an
odd pinch flat, which considering how I ride the bike is not
unusual.
You've also entered a phase of not pumping up your tires. *They are
ancillary concepts.

I think you should explain what you mean by that and the reason for
offering such a comment. *When offering advice, being cryptically cute
doesn't advance understanding of a technical matter.

Nope, I hit the BMX tires once a week. *Since they run such low
pressure to begin with, they stay well above the lower end of the
range over the course of the week. *That rear is rated for max 40PSI
and never really drops below 35. *The road bike I tend to do before
every ride, at worst (which was the case the day of the barber run &
flat) the night before the ride. *I also inflate the road tires to
100 and they're rated for 90, so even with an overnight loss of
whatever it's still above 90.
Any chance running them slightly over pressure caused this? *I sort
of doubt it since they appear to have been pinch flats, and we're
not talking much over, 10% at most (and less in both instances since
neither was fresh off the compressor that day).

Let's get over the tire pressure aspect and discover what punctured
the tube. *What sort of tube is it and how thick a wall does it have
(does it feel as thick as your road tubes when flat? *A caliper
measurement of a flat tube gives roughly twice the wall thickness.

How do the holes look? *A pinch flat always has cord striations
diagonally across the holes because the tire casing has 45° casing
plys. *With grazing incident light the cord pattern will be embossed
in the tube around a pinch.

Beyond that, if the holes are on the inside diameter of the tube, they
are caused by a "tire roll" that popped back up after enough side load
was applied and released, leaving a pinch like pinching under your
chin while rolling your head to one side, while a compression pinch is
like pinching your cheek. *Tire rolls generally don't occur without
one's knowledge, but the are caused by side loads on low inflation.

So let's get to the bottom of this for your benefit and that of the
readers. *I've spent time on accident reconstructions where such flats
mystified the rider and seemed to support his claim against the
bicycle shop for great remuneration. *I generally testify in support
of the bicycle business, that needs all the help it can get against
spurious claims.

Dan, so what is your name and why do you believe you are important
enough to hide behind an alias? *Consider how many writers give their
names on wreck.bike and survive. *I've been doing it for more than 20
years.

Jobst Brandt

Bad luck- good luck bob UK 5 November 12th 08 07:35 PM
Good Luck Floyd!!! Joe King Racing 3 September 28th 06 08:20 AM
my good luck Tom Keats General 1 December 2nd 05 04:06 AM
Good Luck Big Vernon MSeries UK 2 July 29th 05 03:59 PM
atb - good luck.. Dej Australia 11 October 16th 04 12:53 PM