(lack of) chain wear

Old August 26th 09, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default (lack of) chain wear

So, with over 2000mi on my wipperman 10 speed chain, I figured it must
be stretched to warrant replacement. When cleaning my cogs the other
day I noticed some of the more used ones (4-7) are a bit worn
looking. I measured the chain with the ruler trick, and saw no
stretch. Thinking this wasn't possible, I swung by EMS and got a park
tool chain measuring tool for $10. Sure enough, even on the 0.75%
side, it's not even close to sliding in, indicating a wearing chain.
I'm shocked. Of course before this bike I was all MTB, putting a much
more brutal beating on my chains, but still, I'm surprised.

How many miles do you usually get before the chain stretches to need
replacement?
Old August 26th 09, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Aug 26, 1:37*pm, " wrote:
So, with over 2000mi on my wipperman 10 speed chain, I figured it must
be stretched to warrant replacement. *When cleaning my cogs the other
day I noticed some of the more used ones (4-7) are a bit worn
looking. *I measured the chain with the ruler trick, and saw no
stretch. *Thinking this wasn't possible, I swung by EMS and got a park
tool chain measuring tool for $10. *Sure enough, even on the 0.75%
side, it's not even close to sliding in, indicating a wearing chain.
I'm shocked. *Of course before this bike I was all MTB, putting a much
more brutal beating on my chains, but still, I'm surprised.

How many miles do you usually get before the chain stretches to need
replacement?

FWIW I've got maybe 5-600 miles on a SRAM 9-speed chain with the same
results as you. I bought a gauge just to see where I was at so I
could start estimating how many miles I could get out of it and it is
indicating less than 10% wear (this is the ProGold one that has a
scale from 10-100% where 100% is recommended replacement point.)

nate
Old August 26th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 26, 2:02*pm, N8N wrote:
On Aug 26, 1:37*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Your #'s confuse me. It's my understanding (and backed by my park
tool chain wear indicator) you replace a chain at .75% or 1% wear.
I'd be curious to see this gauge you use.
Old August 26th 09, 07:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 26, 2:06*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
schreef:

So, with over 2000mi on my wipperman 10 speed chain, I figured it must
be stretched to warrant replacement. *When cleaning my cogs the other
day I noticed some of the more used ones (4-7) are a bit worn
looking. *I measured the chain with the ruler trick, and saw no
stretch. *Thinking this wasn't possible, I swung by EMS and got a park
tool chain measuring tool for $10. *Sure enough, even on the 0.75%
side, it's not even close to sliding in, indicating a wearing chain.
I'm shocked. *Of course before this bike I was all MTB, putting a much
more brutal beating on my chains, but still, I'm surprised.

How many miles do you usually get before the chain stretches to need
replacement?

I use the 'compare with a new chain measurement method'. It happens that
one of my bikes has the same mileage as yours. This is what I got:

http://picasaweb.google.nl/LoetjeH/ChainAfter3700km#

Both 10 speed Record chains. How many km before replacement? 10000 km
easy, so cost of the chain is a non issue on my road bikes. On my ATB's
I get about 1500 km, so I buy medium level 9 speed chains for those.

Lou

Wow, so you're getting over 6K miles on a chain? I didn't expect to
get that from a cassette! This road bike thing sure is different...
Old August 26th 09, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Aug 26, 2:17*pm, DanKMTB wrote:
On Aug 26, 2:02*pm, N8N wrote:

On Aug 26, 1:37*pm, " wrote:

[...]

This is the guy:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ain+Gauge.aspx

the scale on mine looks different though, it's more finely calibrated
(I guess they revised it or something.)

I believe that 100% on the gauge is actually 1% elogation, so I guess
my chain has less than 0.1% elongation right now.

nate
Old August 26th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB

On Aug 26, 2:02*pm, N8N wrote:

On Aug 26, 1:37*pm, " wrote:

[...]

nate- Hide quoted text -

Gotcha. Different chain manufacturers suggest replacement at
different wear points, but it's almost always .75% or 1%. I'll do
mine @ .75% for what the chain costs vs. the rest of the stuff.

Interesting tool. I think I prefer the park, especially for even less
$ ($10), but it is pretty nifty looking.
Old August 26th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Price

On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:06:42 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

[---]

Both 10 speed Record chains. How many km before replacement? 10000 km
easy, so cost of the chain is a non issue on my road bikes

Agreed. I currently have 8,500 km on a Campagnolo 10 speed chain on
my road bike, and the Rohloff chain gauge confirms that it does not
yet require replacement. The road environment is far less aggressive
on chains than MTB usage.
Old August 26th 09, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Aug 26, 12:06*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
schreef:

[...]

Perhaps this is just camera angle but the nail doesn't look level,
perhaps holding the RH (newer?) chain a little higher. You might be
even better off than you think.
Old August 26th 09, 09:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Harris

Lou Holtman wrote:
I use the 'compare with a new chain measurement method'. It happens that
one of my bikes has the same mileage as yours. This is what I got:

http://picasaweb.google.nl/LoetjeH/ChainAfter3700km#

Clever! I use the ruler method which doesn't require removing the
chain.

I don't trust the "chain checker" tools. They seem to have you
replacing chains too soon.

Both 10 speed Record chains. How many km before replacement? 10000 km
easy, so cost of the chain is a non issue on my road bikes. On my ATB's
I get about 1500 km, so I buy medium level 9 speed chains for those.

I usually get over 4,000 miles on my 9 speed chains. I don't do much
rain riding (or chain cleaning).

Art Harris

Cog and Chain wear [email protected] Techniques 1 July 12th 07 08:40 AM
Chain Wear Noel UK 12 October 14th 06 07:01 PM
Is chain flex an indicator of chain wear? Friday Techniques 8 May 4th 06 01:19 AM
Chain Wear cirrus Australia 6 January 25th 06 08:06 AM
Chain line and chain wear... Xyzzy Techniques 5 June 25th 05 10:44 PM