Local guy gets mown down

Old March 31st 11, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

Default Local guy gets mown down

A well known member of my club was just struck and killed, broad
daylight, back road, often used by cyclists, driver apparently not
speeding or under any influence. Looks like he was simply struck from
behind by an inattentive driver.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ycle-in-Millis

Old March 31st 11, 05:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 3/31/2011 8:39 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
A well known member of my club was just struck and killed, broad
daylight, back road, often used by cyclists, driver apparently not
speeding or under any influence. Looks like he was simply struck from
behind by an inattentive driver.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ycle-in-Millis

Very sad. I see the problem of inattentive drivers drifting back and
forth more and more. Invariably if I catch up with them I see that they
are doing other things while driving such as texting, reading, or
talking on the phone.
Old March 31st 11, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 3/31/2011 12:18 PM, SMS wrote:
On 3/31/2011 8:39 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
A well known member of my club was just struck and killed, broad
daylight, back road, often used by cyclists, driver apparently not
speeding or under any influence. Looks like he was simply struck from
behind by an inattentive driver.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ycle-in-Millis

Very sad. I see the problem of inattentive drivers drifting back and
forth more and more. Invariably if I catch up with them I see that they
are doing other things while driving such as texting, reading, or
talking on the phone.

There have been too many of these cases lately where it's broad daylight
on a straight road. We lost 3 cyclists last season. At least this time
the driver was charged.
Old March 31st 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Duane Hebert:
There have been too many of these cases lately where it's broad daylight
on a straight road. We lost 3 cyclists last season. At least this time
the driver was charged.

That's a recurrent theme behind my own rants: it's a fluid
situation. First it was phone calls... then texting.... then
steering with the knees while doing email... Couple nights ago,
I saw an ad on TV for some new Chrysler cars that have this
beautiful full-color 7" screen right in the middle of the
dashboard. Dunno what it shows, but it must be important, right?
Sort of a "Heads-Down" display.....

When somebody challenges my admittedly-non-scalable riding
practices, my comeback is something like:

"There have been many books written about bicycle riding and they
all support what you just said. There is, however, one problem:
I suspect that all of or the vast majority those books were
written
- before cell phone use while driving,
- before texting while driving,
- before doing email while driving, and
- before navigation computers."
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 31st 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Mar 31, 10:20 am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Duane Hebert:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ycle-in-Millis

There have been too many of these cases...

I agree.

[...]

The rapidly changing ways of life are becoming more incompatible with
the car culture. All of the above sort of activities (as well as
reading the paper, eating a sandwich, taking a nap, etc.) would be
just fine on the train or bus.
Old March 31st 11, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Mar 31, 1:20*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per Duane Hebert:

There have been too many of these cases lately where it's broad daylight
on a straight road. *We lost 3 cyclists last season. *At least this time
the driver was charged.

Just one of these incidents is too many. The same is true for people
mowed down while walking, riding motorcycles, or riding properly and
legally in cars.

[...]

I understand all that. But it's hard to spot the supposed increase in
danger when you examine the available data.

In 2009, we had just 630 bike fatalities in the U.S. Despite the
prevalence of distractions for drivers, I think that's the lowest it's
been for the past 30+ years. There were 718 bike fatalities in 2008.
Back in the 1970s, the count got over 1,000 per year.

There's no way I condone distracted driving, no matter what the
distraction. (I recall reading about a bike fatality years ago,
caused by a young woman reaching for an audio cassette. Remember
those?)

But I don't believe in abandoning our rights to the road, nor
abandoning riding practices that have long proven safe, based on what
we imagine _might_ happen.

- Frank Krygowski
Old March 31st 11, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"SMS" wrote in message
On 3/31/2011 8:39 AM, Peter Cole wrote:
A well known member of my club was just struck and killed, broad
daylight, back road, often used by cyclists, driver apparently not
speeding or under any influence. Looks like he was simply struck from
behind by an inattentive driver.

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...ycle-in-Millis

Very sad. I see the problem of inattentive drivers drifting back and forth
more and more. Invariably if I catch up with them I see that they are
doing other things while driving such as texting, reading, or talking on
the phone.

Given that, at least in the short term, we can't change the idiocy of those
behind a steering wheel, does anybody have any ideas for how we can be even
more obvious (attract their attention) than we already are? What does it
take to break through the multimedia-induced haze? Do super-bright flashing
tail lights for daytime use have any effect? And if they do, is it even a
good idea? I've encountered groups with super-bright flashing headlights in
the daytime, and, on my bike, found it quite distracting. Is all such
distraction good?

I don't have answers, only questions. Too many good people have been run
down from behind.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old March 31st 11, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/ne...esley-man-stru....

Very sad. I see the problem of inattentive drivers drifting back and forth
more and more. Invariably if I catch up with them I see that they are
doing other things while driving such as texting, reading, or talking on
the phone.

Given that, at least in the short term, we can't change the idiocy of those
behind a steering wheel, does anybody have any ideas for how we can be even
more obvious (attract their attention) than we already are? What does it
take to break through the multimedia-induced haze? Do super-bright flashing
tail lights for daytime use have any effect? And if they do, is it even a
good idea? I've encountered groups with super-bright flashing headlights in
the daytime, and, on my bike, found it quite distracting. Is all such
distraction good?

Can't stand the super bright lights. I doubt they're even legal in
places that take bike safety seriously, like Germany. What works
during the day are hi-viz colors. Runners around here are really fond
of them and they work. Of course, if you're asleep, no amount of neon
color will help.

Sad story.
Old March 31st 11, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 3/31/2011 3:39 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
"SMS" wrote in message
[...]

I think the real solution is to get more drivers out on bikes, that's
the only way they'll understand. Of course events like this, and the
coverage they get, don't exactly promote cycling, especially to the
non-cyclists.

yet another OAP mown down by a pavement cycle weapon. Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 28 March 26th 11 04:02 PM
Local man mown down. Simon Mason UK 54 October 23rd 10 07:25 AM
He should have mown the unlit cyclist down. Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 12 June 14th 10 12:24 PM
Children and adult mown down by car - no helmets bod43 UK 19 September 28th 09 04:25 PM
Top gear - cycles mown down by motorists bod43 UK 52 July 9th 09 11:59 AM