Tired ..

Old April 22nd 11, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Default Tired ..

Just got back in from a good ride. 20 miles, 3 on, rest offroad, cold,
bright, muddy, dry, damp grass, wet trees, loads of wildlife about.
Sat and watched fish rising on the canal cut lake, and cows coming down
to drink!

Loads of joggers about, but no other bikes! A few days ago it was the
reverse, loads of bikes and no joggers ..

Had a very nice coffee with buttered, jam croissant and pain au
chocolat when I got home, sat outside with the wife, a lovely morning
so far with the sun burning through now so it feels like it's going to
be another warm one.

Looks like I caught the derailleur/cable on a root or something as the
end has frayed, pulled off the nipple end, and the frayed bit goes
right back to the clamp bolt so I'll put a new gear cable on later.
Think I'll change 'em as a pair .. they're a couple of years old at
least ..

Think I'll also be changing the brake cables while I'm at it, I've
adjusted the rear one so often that about an inch of it is flattened
and doesn't look quite safe .. though the front still looks pretty good.

In fact, as I'm writing this I'm changing plans and now reckon I might
pull it all apart and fettle it, bearings, chain, forks, the lot. It's
been more than 6 months since it's all been done I think and it'll give
me an excuse (not that I need one) to stay in the garden and fossic
about in the sun without it being too strenuous.

I love warm, lazy bank holidays ..

--
Paul - xxx
Old April 22nd 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On 22 Apr 2011 08:27:02 GMT
"Paul - xxx" wrote:

Looks like I caught the derailleur/cable on a root or something as the
end has frayed, pulled off the nipple end, and the frayed bit goes
right back to the clamp bolt so I'll put a new gear cable on later.

I prefer to apply a dab of solder - the crimps tend to catch on stuff,
and they crush the cable so you need to snip the end if you want to
take it out for a clean & lube.

Old April 22nd 11, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Rob Morley wrote:

On 22 Apr 2011 08:27:02 GMT
"Paul - xxx" wrote:

Looks like I caught the derailleur/cable on a root or something as
the end has frayed, pulled off the nipple end, and the frayed bit
goes right back to the clamp bolt so I'll put a new gear cable on
later.

I prefer to apply a dab of solder - the crimps tend to catch on stuff,
and they crush the cable so you need to snip the end if you want to
take it out for a clean & lube.

Good one, makes sense, thanks.

--
Paul - xxx
Old April 22nd 11, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 22/04/2011 11:48, Paul - xxx wrote:

Looks like I caught the derailleur/cable on a root or something as
the end has frayed, pulled off the nipple end, and the frayed bit
goes right back to the clamp bolt so I'll put a new gear cable on
later.

I prefer to apply a dab of solder - the crimps tend to catch on stuff,
and they crush the cable so you need to snip the end if you want to
take it out for a clean& lube.

Good one, makes sense, thanks.

I just don't bother. The cable unwraps and looks slightly messy but it
doesn't seem to cause any problems.

I dont't tend to undo the cable once I make the initial adjustment.
Normally I can hit the correct approximate tightness when putting the
cable in and then use the frame screw (on the down tube) or the
derailler screw for fine index adjustments.

I replace the rear shifter cable every year anyway as otherwise it has a
tendancy to snap inside the shifter, which can be difficult to clean up.
Old April 22nd 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther

You can guarantee it! All this nice weather and my bike is in James'
workshop awaiting a new rim to fit around my rohloff hub! Sod it!

Mind you I have a lineful of washing drying rapidly! and I have relaid a
floor in the bathroom!

and anyway one month from today I shall be sitting in Berlin enjoying a
"Jevers" or 3. --- but 23 May I am on my bike in earnest for the next
several weeks.

--
From
Trevor A Panther
eb.com...

Old April 22nd 11, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
[...]

Would you like my opinion?

Old April 22nd 11, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mr Pounder wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Just got back in from a good ride. 20 miles, 3 on, rest offroad,
cold, bright, muddy, dry, damp grass, wet trees, loads of wildlife
about. Sat and watched fish rising on the canal cut lake, and cows
coming down to drink!

I love warm, lazy bank holidays ..

Would you like my opinion?

Dunno, don't really care if you have an opinion or not.

--
Paul - xxx