Cracked Seven frame

Old June 17th 05, 10:43 PM

Default Cracked Seven frame

Last week I discovered a crack in the frame of my Ti Seven Axiom. The
crack is in the downtube, just above the BB weld. Seven has told me
that the frame is unrepairable and that since I am not the original
owner, that there is no warranty either. If that is their policy then
that's that, I guess. But check out this explanation from them....

"Our warranty is extended to the original owner only. We offer a
lifetime warranty for those who make the investment with an authorized
Seven dealer to purchase a Seven. You made no investment with an
authorized dealer or with Seven Cycles and you are riding a frame that
was not designed or built for you. We do not extend the frame warranty
to second owners because we cannot guarantee the frame will be used in
the same manner as it was intended."

Is this a whitewash or what? Can't guarantee the frame was used in the
manner intended??? It's a bike frame. I rode it. What do they think I
did, hammered railroad spikes with it? And as far as the "investment"
part of it, the person I bought it from only sold it so that he could
buy a fully custom Seven. So they still sold two frames.

I'm just venting....

Old June 17th 05, 10:59 PM
Jay Beattie

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I can understand limiting a warranty, but their explanation is
tremendously hokey and codescending. I can't underestand why they
would be so quick to create ill-will. I never like their
marketing. It was always too elitist for my tastes, and always
mixed with that "bicycle building is magic" B.S. -- Jay Beattie.

Old June 17th 05, 11:48 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Jay Beattie wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This whole elitist warranty issue is there so as to *keep* the elitism.
This guarantees high prices and ****ty frames, a theme rampant among some
frame makers, it seems. People who pony up will continue to love the
frames, since they get a lifetime supply of them. People who don't/won't
pony up will say they suck, but will secretly want one. You know it's true.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 18th 05, 12:29 AM

Very few bike companies will extend the warranty to anyone other than
the original owner. I said none previously but someone reminded me
that Kestrel will do this if you send it back and let them inspect it
first.

If you don't like this policy, don't buy from these other companies.

Old June 18th 05, 12:33 AM
Leo Lichtman

wrote: (clip) Seven has told me that the frame
is unrepairable and that since I am not the original owner, that there is no
warranty either. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Can you still get in touch with the original owner? Maybe you can get him
to send it in under warranty. It seems ridiculous for the manufacturer to
be released from an obligation through acts that don't involve them.

Never buy that make of bike used--next time "lease" it.

Old June 18th 05, 12:48 AM
Wasatch5k

I would get a second opinion on the frame being unrepairable - Get an
experienced Ti welder to look at it.

nc

Old June 18th 05, 01:17 AM

wrote:
[...]

Basterds! Miyata did the same thing to me. I bought a used 914 which
cracked where the cable exits the toptube. The Miyata guy said to me
on the phone that it was a common problem, and they know about it, and
they have a replacement program which gives you a free replacement,
but he wouldn't give me one because I bought it used. A$$holes.

Better luck with your next frame.

dkl

Old June 18th 05, 01:32 AM

Many companies and products have warrantees that are good only for the
original owner. Much of this has to do with limiting the warrantee claims.
They know that many of the products are sold thus voiding the warrantee.
This lowers the claims rate and increase the profitability of the company.

cel

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per :
"Our warranty is extended to the original owner only. We offer a
lifetime warranty for those who make the investment with an authorized
Seven dealer to purchase a Seven. You made no investment with an
authorized dealer or with Seven Cycles and you are riding a frame that
was not designed or built for you. We do not extend the frame warranty
to second owners because we cannot guarantee the frame will be used in
the same manner as it was intended."

Sounds like self-serving bull**** to me.

I've got a Seven and until hearing that, held them in pretty high regard.

Now my estimation has dropped several notches.
--
PeteCresswell

Old June 18th 05, 01:44 AM
David L. Johnson

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:43:22 -0700, james.r.negris wrote:

Last week I discovered a crack in the frame of my Ti Seven Axiom. The
crack is in the downtube, just above the BB weld. Seven has told me
that the frame is unrepairable and that since I am not the original
owner, that there is no warranty either. If that is their policy then
that's that, I guess. But check out this explanation from them....

Sure, their explanation is BS. I'm surprised they even bothered to
generate it. You have no recourse with them -- as with most things, the
manufacturer's warranty only applied to the original purchaser.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.