Lars Clausen on Evening Magazine

Old August 31st 05, 06:52 AM
john_childs

Default Lars Clausen on Evening Magazine

Lars Clausen was on a TV show called Evening Magazine tonight. Evening
Magazine is a local TV magazine show for the Washington state area.
Some might recall that Evening Magazine did a show the Panther Pride and
UNICON 11 that's in my 'monster gallery'
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/monster).

The Evening Magazine show caught me by surprise. I turned on the TV
after getting back from unicycle club practice and there was Lars on his
Coker.

There is an online article and an online video for the segment about
Lars. The segment is about his ride down the West coast from Canada to
Mexico.

Links:
'Evening Magazine' (http://www.king5.com/eveningmagazine/)
'Lars Unicycling from border to border' (http://tinyurl.com/8ffe6)
There is a link to the online video in the article. The video is the
full 6 minutes for the segment about Lars. The streaming video is about
26MB in total.

The site requires that you log in. You can get some shared usernames
and passwords to use at 'bugmenot.com' (http://www.bugmenot.com/)
'King5.com login' (http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=king5.com)
'www.king5.com login'
(http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=www.king5.com)

Unicycling from border to border

07:51 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 30, 2005

By JOHN STOFFLET / Evening Magazine

Lars Clausen has been to all 50 states. That's impressive, but not that
unusual until you find out he rode through them on his unicycle.

On his new adventure he hoped to cover the entire West Coast from the
Canadian border to the Mexican border, all 1,700 miles.

This teacher's aide and Lutheran pastor wanted to make the journey in
about a month and a half.

His journey began in Blaine on the Canadian border to raise funds for
the Inupiat peoples in Alaska � people he once served as a Lutheran
pastor.

A couple of years ago, Lars unicycled from the West Coast to the East
Coast and back � more than 9,000 miles. It took him seven months and
he set two Guinness world records in the process.

"I've unicycled since I was ten, and I was out riding it one day and I
thought maybe I could ride it across country," he said. "A car gets you
from place to place, but when you travel by unicycle, or when you travel
by bicycle, it gets you into the place, and so it's more about the
journey than about the destination."

On his last cross-country trek, Lars pedaled more than 5 million
times.

There's no coasting on a unicycle, but there are advantages to traveling
at the pace of one wheel.

"I go 10 or 11 miles an hour and I call that the speed of hospitality,"
he said. "It means I've got time to stop and talk with people and
they've got time to shout out when I go by and we've got time to make a
connection before I'm past."

Traveling on one wheel also means you get to be at one with nature.

"Cars are great things, but you roll up your windows, roll down the
highway at 70 miles an hour, put the air conditioner on and your purpose
is to be somewhere else, and on a unicycle or a bicycle, your purpose is
to be right where you are," said Lars. "Instead of going from place to
place, you're into the place."

As Lars pedaled down the West Coast, he stopped occasionally to peddle a
book he's written about his 2002 coast-to-coast trip. The book is called
"One Wheel � Many Spokes."

Most days, Lars pedals 40 to 50 miles, and meets up with wife Anne and
kids Karianna and Kai along the way. Often, strangers, who've passed him
along the route or who hear about his unicycle trek, stop to talk.

Fueled by those encounters with strangers who become friends, fueled by
family and by a pair of iron legs that just wouldn't quit, Lars Clausen
it from Blaine, Washington to Tijuana, Mexico in 42 days.

Lars's newest endeavor is called "Straight into Gay America" � a
1,024-mile ride gathering stories of life in the gay community today. He
plans to have that book out in spring 2006.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 31st 05, 01:18 PM
juggle508

Nice Movie John.

I gotta get me a copy of that book.

--
juggle508 - Street unicyclist.

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

---------- Joshua 1:9----------
juggle508's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6701

Old August 31st 05, 08:14 PM
al_lieffring

Does anyone eles ride a coker with the handle bars mounted behind the
seat like Lars?

Just the other day I mounted a set of "Lars' Bars" on my Coker and have
been experimenting with riding with them.

What I have noticed is that by holding onto the bars my weight is more
on my bottom and less on my crotch. havnt tried a ride of more than 5
miles yet.

Al :O)

--
al_lieffring - World famous mediocre unicyclist

sola rota Ya'll
Al Lieffring :O)
'Al's Unicycling Club'

al_lieffring's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2053

Old August 31st 05, 10:12 PM
john_childs

If anyone wants to download and save the streaming video you can grab it
using 'Net Transport' (http://www.xi-soft.com/default.htm)

The URL for the video file is:
mms://beloint.wmod.llnwd.net/a125/o1/www.king5.com/eveningmagazine/ki_083005EMunicyclist.wmv
You'll need Net Transport or some other software that can grab mms://
files to be able to download it and save it.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Dirt Magazine - ANTI-UNICYCLIST!!! pluto Unicycling 95 December 23rd 04 08:15 PM
Lars Trip South albertkarel Unicycling 2 August 11th 04 11:53 PM
I met lars clausen! Jax Unicycling 5 July 31st 04 07:05 AM
Lars Clausen's Book Tour This Summer UniBrier Unicycling 19 July 12th 04 12:12 AM
Lar's 24 hr ride part 2 Cokerhead Unicycling 4 July 18th 03 01:34 AM