CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available,LED flasher.

Old December 16th 04, 02:29 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Default CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available,LED flasher.

CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available, LED
flasher.

I received a CatEye TL-LD1000 from Nashbar today. I had not been a fan
of LED flashers due to the problems with field of view, and intensity,
but CatEye has a winner with the TL-LD1000. It has six rear facing LEDs,
plus two LEDs on each side. It has lenses over the LEDs, not just a red
plastic cover. It's very rugged, and it's waterproof. You can turn on
either the bottom or top five LEDs, or all ten. This is the first LED
flasher I've found that almost rivals the visibility of a xenon strobe.
I bought it for a new Dahon Speed TR folder, which also arrived today.

The mounting is funky. It includes a seat post bracket. It also includes
a screw that cuts threads into a hole on the back which theoretically
would let it mount directly to a reflector bracket on a rear rack (the
holes line up properly). However this screw is far too long, and you
need some washers or a spacer or you’ll destroy the light as you screw
it into the battery compartment. I used a spacer, and it works fine,
with no bracket. The directions do not mention this mounting option, and
don't tell you what the screw is for.

"http://www.cateye.com/en/products/viewProduct.php?modelId=41&catId=7&subCatId=4"

It isn't cheap, it cost me nearly $24 (with a Nashbar coupon code).

Nashbar Coupon Codes
----------------------------
10% off entire order! W198 01/03/2005
10% off entire order! AFFDC 12/20/2004

They had a 20% off code that expired, but you can still try it:

20% off $100 or more! 25DEC 12/14/2004

Old December 16th 04, 05:09 PM
Steve Knight

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 14:29:56 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
wrote:

CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available, LED
flasher.

I beat you to it (G). but it is a good light. Put some lithium cells in it and
it will stay bright the whole life of the battery.
I am glad they made it easy to change the batteries in it. I hate the ones you
have to remove the cover to change the cells.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 16th 04, 06:00 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

wrote:

CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available, LED
flasher.

For certain arbitrary values of "finally" and "good", obviously.

I have been using one for about six weeks - it has some weaknesses,
notably that if you have the two banks of lights set differently (e.g.
one flash, one steady), it is a fiddle to get the thing turned off.
There really needs to be a single "off" button!

It is also battery hungry, chewing up a set of alkalines in 5 weeks
riding. My other LED lights all last at least three months even in
steady mode.

If you regard the competition to the LD1000 as being, say, an LD600
and an AU100 (one flashing, one steady), the LD1000 has an obvious
flaw in that only one set of batteries has to drain in order for you
to be left with no light. Since nobody would want to be left without
a rear light halfway through a ride I have always recommend at least
one other light; having used this light I have not changed my view.

My personal preference is for a Busch & Muller 4D Toplight, which is a
legal light and legal reflector in Europe and contains LEDs in the
outside edges for side visibility, plus at least one flashing light.

The TL1000 is not approval marked by European vehicle standards
bodies, so for those cyclists in Europe it cannot be used as the sole
rear light.

The weight of the thing is also quite significant, which is a problem
on flimsy brackets or if clipped to clothing (here the LD-600 excels).
I have mine bolted to a purpose-made light bracket welded to my rack,
and I have also attached my usual safety retainers because I have lost
far too many expensive rear lights :-)

For the same money you can get an AU100 and an LD600 which will do the
same job, give a measure of redundancy in case of battery failure, and
work equally well (although Scharf seems to measure "work" solely in
terms of raw power, which of course is only half the story).

If you are viewing the LD1000 solely as a flasher, and do not intend
to use its dual mode, I would question how useful it is. Based on
following other cyclists (riding and driving) using these and other
lamps I'd say it is not noticeably more visible in town than an LD600,
and even the old AU100 is clearly visible on a completely dark road.

The LD1000 is OK, give or take the above caveats, as is the LD600 or
any other high brightness LED taillight (the old Vista Nebula was a
personal favourite for a long time). I also use a RealLITE in poor
weather - that is visible from space with the naked eye :-)

So I am not entirely convinced. If you are not especially budget
conscious it seems like a fair enough product, but in my view you can
get the same or better functionality for the same or less money by
mixing other lights. Next time the batteries run down I'm likely to
take mine off the bike and put the old AU100 back on.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old December 17th 04, 05:44 AM
Steve Knight

I have been using one for about six weeks - it has some weaknesses,
notably that if you have the two banks of lights set differently (e.g.
one flash, one steady), it is a fiddle to get the thing turned off.
There really needs to be a single "off" button!

you just push both buttons at once holding them down and both lights go off.
it's hard to do with thicker gloves but easy enough to do. just pinch the unit
between thumb and finger.

It is also battery hungry, chewing up a set of alkalines in 5 weeks
riding. My other LED lights all last at least three months even in
steady mode.

depends on how you use it. run one set of lights in flashing and it runs a long
time both steady and it drains fairly fast. I don't know why it is a little
faster then some lights but it has a longer run time then the ld600

If you regard the competition to the LD1000 as being, say, an LD600
and an AU100 (one flashing, one steady), the LD1000 has an obvious
flaw in that only one set of batteries has to drain in order for you
to be left with no light.

all lights have this problem how is it a flaw?

My personal preference is for a Busch & Muller 4D Toplight, which is a
legal light and legal reflector in Europe and contains LEDs in the
outside edges for side visibility, plus at least one flashing light.

that does not look like a bad light. it does not have very many LEDs so it may
be a bit small. but it is a good design. but not easy to find.
'

The weight of the thing is also quite significant, which is a problem
on flimsy brackets or if clipped to clothing (here the LD-600 excels).
I have mine bolted to a purpose-made light bracket welded to my rack,

it is not meant to be used on clothing really and it comes with a really good
bracket. better then any others I have seen.

For the same money you can get an AU100 and an LD600 which will do the
same job, give a measure of redundancy in case of battery failure,

neither of these have edge facing LEDs. LEDS only have about a 15% beam angle so
even if the side is clear you don't see much light from the side of a LED.

lamps I'd say it is not noticeably more visible in town than an LD600,
and even the old AU100 is clearly visible on a completely dark road.

I agree that most lights are pretty visible. though I have seen some pretty
pathetic ones sometimes (G)

The LD1000 is OK, give or take the above caveats, as is the LD600 or
any other high brightness LED taillight (the old Vista Nebula was a
personal favourite for a long time). I also use a RealLITE in poor
weather - that is visible from space with the naked eye :-)

you complain about the weigh then recommend the reallight? that thing is huge.
from what I heard it is not as bright as the newer LEDS.

you want bright try a xenon flasher. most have 180 degree visibility and light
up everything around. but they eat up batteries and they flash so quick you want
a backup steady light with one.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old December 17th 04, 11:44 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 05:44:13 GMT, Steve Knight
wrote:

I have been using one for about six weeks - it has some weaknesses,
notably that if you have the two banks of lights set differently (e.g.
one flash, one steady), it is a fiddle to get the thing turned off.
There really needs to be a single "off" button!

you just push both buttons at once holding them down and both lights go off.
it's hard to do with thicker gloves but easy enough to do. just pinch the unit
between thumb and finger.

D'oh! I tried that, and it didn't work, but after I changed the
batteries it did. What's with that, I wonder? Of course, a bit of
RTFM might have helped ) And it turns out the major issue is
precisely the gloves - I can make it work reliably with bare hands,
but it fails with gloves, usually in a way that leaves one bank still
on. Hence the confusion.

It is also battery hungry, chewing up a set of alkalines in 5 weeks
riding. My other LED lights all last at least three months even in
steady mode.

depends on how you use it. run one set of lights in flashing and it runs a long
time both steady and it drains fairly fast. I don't know why it is a little
faster then some lights but it has a longer run time then the ld600

I use the LD600 in flash mode only, which has reasonable life; the
LD1000 in one flash one steady mode has a substantially shorter life
than the AU100 in steady mode.

If you regard the competition to the LD1000 as being, say, an LD600
and an AU100 (one flashing, one steady), the LD1000 has an obvious
flaw in that only one set of batteries has to drain in order for you
to be left with no light.

all lights have this problem how is it a flaw?

It's a flaw because the one-flash-one-steady operation is trying to be
two kinds of light in one. That doesn't work for me. I want two
lights. So given that I have two lights, the 1000 does not offer me
much in the way of advantage, given its cost.

My personal preference is for a Busch & Muller 4D Toplight, which is a
legal light and legal reflector in Europe and contains LEDs in the
outside edges for side visibility, plus at least one flashing light.

that does not look like a bad light. it does not have very many LEDs so it may
be a bit small. but it is a good design. but not easy to find.

The 4D Toplight is 4 1/2" wide by 2" tall. It may not be easy to get
in Leftpondia but is readily available in Europe (I am used to having
to get some stuff from the States if it's not available over here).

The weight of the thing is also quite significant, which is a problem
on flimsy brackets or if clipped to clothing (here the LD-600 excels).
I have mine bolted to a purpose-made light bracket welded to my rack,

it is not meant to be used on clothing really and it comes with a really good
bracket. better then any others I have seen.

For certain values of "better" ;-) The best bracket IMV is the Zéfal
cast alloy one, or better still a bracket welded to your rack.

For the same money you can get an AU100 and an LD600 which will do the
same job, give a measure of redundancy in case of battery failure,

neither of these have edge facing LEDs. LEDS only have about a 15% beam angle so
even if the side is clear you don't see much light from the side of a LED.

The AU100 is visible through over 180 degrees.

I agree that most lights are pretty visible. though I have seen some pretty
pathetic ones sometimes (G)

Ho yus. Exhibit A: the Cateye LD500...

The LD1000 is OK, give or take the above caveats, as is the LD600 or
any other high brightness LED taillight (the old Vista Nebula was a
personal favourite for a long time). I also use a RealLITE in poor
weather - that is visible from space with the naked eye :-)

you complain about the weigh then recommend the reallight? that thing is huge.
from what I heard it is not as bright as the newer LEDS.

The RealLite hangs on a hook on my bike bag, rather than the light
bracket, so the weight is not an issue - but point taken. However:
looking in my mirror I can see the RealLite reflecting back from road
signs a long way behind me, which I can't do for the LD1000.

I'm not saying the LD1000 is a bad light, just that it is not as
fabulous as some people seem to make out. Maybe I'm just getting old
and fogeyish, but I am finding increasingly that the Next Big Thing
turns out to be not much better than the tried and tested old thing.
I'm happy to use, and enthusiastically advocate, new kit when it is
genuinely better, but this light is not on my "must have" list, unlike
the 4D Toplight, of which I have three fitted to various bikes. I
will not be rushing out to replace the LD600/AU100 pair on the back of
another bike either.

you want bright try a xenon flasher. most have 180 degree visibility and light
up everything around. but they eat up batteries and they flash so quick you want
a backup steady light with one.

I might try that. But I will still want a steady light, because one
cyclist killed in the UK was held to be 50% to blame for his own death
because he was using a flashing light instead of a steady one. The
fact that flashing lights are three to five times more visible than
steady ones of equivalent brightness did not count.

Old December 17th 04, 01:03 PM
Peter Cole

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
k.net...
CatEye TL-LD1000 Rear Flasher--Finally a good, easily available, LED
flasher.

I received a CatEye TL-LD1000 from Nashbar today. I had not been a fan
of LED flashers due to the problems with field of view, and intensity,
but CatEye has a winner with the TL-LD1000.

It isn't cheap, it cost me nearly $24 (with a Nashbar coupon code).

I recently got the Vistalite Super Nebula 5, a very nice light at half the
price.

Old December 17th 04, 03:40 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Steve Knight wrote:

I beat you to it (G). but it is a good light. Put some lithium cells

in it
and
it will stay bright the whole life of the battery.

I am glad they made it easy to change the batteries in it. I hate the
ones you
have to remove the cover to change the cells.

Yes, it's got good industrial design, except for the limited mounting
options.

I have it mounted directly to the reflector holes on my rear rack. It's
like a standard reflector, with one nipple and one screw hole, in the
proper position for a reflector bracket. The supplied screw is way too
long, at least for a steel reflector bracket (they may have supplied a
screw that is long enough to use with thicker plastic bracket), so I
used a spacer.

The nipple has a hole in it and I put a second, smaller screw in there
as a backup, since I don't want it bouncing off down the road. You could
also use a cable tie around the whole thing, but that looks kind of funky.

A product like this needs to be purchased quickly, before it's
discontinued. There isn't a big market for $24-30 LED flashers.

I understand why they did the two switches, since five LEDs at a time
are really sufficient and save the battery. However I find it often
takes some time to turn the damn thing off since you have to get both
top and bottom off, and it’s so bright that you don’t know when one
level is really off unless you’re staring directly at the light.

The other rear lights I looked at is the 4DToplight Senso Multi and the
4DToplight Senso. These are good (especially the Multi if you have a
dynamo system) but they don't flash which makes them less noticable.

The Trek Disco Infreno looked good, but I wanted red for the rear, and
the only one I could find at a bike shop was white.

Old December 17th 04, 03:45 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Peter Cole wrote:

I recently got the Vistalite Super Nebula 5, a very nice light at half the
price.

The problem with that light is that it has no side-mounted LEDs.

The only LED rear lights with good angle of visibility are the CatEye
TL-LD1000, the Trek Disco Inferno, the Specialized Aferburner Comp, and
the Busch & Muller 4D Toplight. All of these are in the $20-30 range, if
you can find them at all. Only the CatEye is widely available. The red
Trek Disco Inferno looks to be discontinued. The Busch & Muller 4D
Toplight can be ordered from Peter White or from Harris Cyclery.

Old December 17th 04, 04:43 PM
Peter Cole

"Steven M. Scharf" wrote in message
nk.net...
Peter Cole wrote:

I recently got the Vistalite Super Nebula 5, a very nice light at half

the
price.

The problem with that light is that it has no side-mounted LEDs.

I guess I'm not a believer in the need for side lighting.

Old December 17th 04, 05:16 PM
Steve Knight

I recently got the Vistalite Super Nebula 5, a very nice light at half the
price.

it is a good light I use it for my steady light since it has about 100 hours
runtime on steady. for 15.00 it's a good light. a but if a pain to change
batteries though. but it has no side visibility.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM