Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C.

Old April 4th 07, 01:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
â–€Slack

Default Tick Tests Positive For Spotted Fever In O.C.

http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

--
Slack
Old April 4th 07, 01:33 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"?Slack" wrote in message
news
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

--
Slack

I just finished a week of doxycycline myself for a tick I pulled off my arm
about ten days ago. Picked it up hiking in some brush in eastern WA state.
It wasn't on me very long, but I was working with some insulation at the
time so I mistook the itch for a bit of fiberglass contact. It got me close
to the inside of one elbow, and within 48 hours I had nasty red swelling
moving up and down the arm from the bite site.

This is the third season I've been tick-bit, and I watch carefully, usually
doing a pretty good body check after activities in the bush.

While Lyme disease has been rare in this area for nearly a decade, my doctor
reminded me that just about anything a tick would introduce into your blood
stream would not be favorable. For the next few weeks I'll be DEETing my
clothes when hitting the bush by foot or wheel.

Gary

Old April 4th 07, 02:32 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
â–€Slack

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:33:12 -0700, Mamba wrote:

"?Slack" wrote in message
news
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

--
Slack

I just finished a week of doxycycline myself for a tick I pulled off my
arm
about ten days ago. Picked it up hiking in some brush in eastern WA
state.
It wasn't on me very long, but I was working with some insulation at the
time so I mistook the itch for a bit of fiberglass contact. It got me
close
to the inside of one elbow, and within 48 hours I had nasty red swelling
moving up and down the arm from the bite site.

Good thing you got it fairly early.

This is the third season I've been tick-bit, and I watch carefully,
usually
doing a pretty good body check after activities in the bush.

Might be wise to check the body *first / before* activities in the bush '

Old April 4th 07, 05:49 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

On Apr 3, 5:33 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
"?Slack" wrote in message

news
[...]

Hope no problem, bet you'll be fine. Damn life. Tom

Old April 5th 07, 05:19 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 3, 5:33 pm, "Mamba" wrote:
"?Slack" wrote in message

Hope no problem, bet you'll be fine. Damn life. Tom

Actually this time I had thought I caught the greebie just as he was making
his initial incision. Apparently not.
My doc says most threats are when the critters have shared your blood supply
for 24 hours or more.

First time I was bitten I didn't find the thing until two days later after
showering. he (She, I guess, as the blood goes towards egg support) was
behind my knee and puffed to the size of a pea. The second one I found in a
more sensitve location - let's just say it would have made for a very
uncomfortable bike ride. Again, it was pretty puffed up with blood. Those
bites had me more worried, as it was almost suredly 24 hours or more by the
time I found them.

Cheers
Gary

Old April 6th 07, 08:08 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
tom

"?Slack" wrote in message

Hope no problem, bet you'll be fine. Damn life. Tom

Actually this time I had thought I caught the greebie just as he was making
his initial incision. Apparently not.
My doc says most threats are when the critters have shared your blood supply
for 24 hours or more.

First time I was bitten I didn't find the thing until two days later after
showering. he (She, I guess, as the blood goes towards egg support) was
behind my knee and puffed to the size of a pea. The second one I found in a
more sensitve location - let's just say it would have made for a very
uncomfortable bike ride. Again, it was pretty puffed up with blood. Those
bites had me more worried, as it was almost suredly 24 hours or more by the
time I found them.

Cheers
Gary

This is true, the longer they're chewing on you, the greater the
chance of infection, as one of my "rescued" dog can attest. 50-plus
ticks on her when I found her roaming the desert farmlands, for who
knows how long. I remember seed ticks falling off of her like
dandruff. Took us two years to rid the Ranch of the buggers. Raging
tick fever, but she's doing well now. Any idea how they're treating
RMSF these days? Tom(who'll do a google search in the morning).

Old April 7th 07, 12:25 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Apr 3, 5:11Â*pm, â–€Slack wrote:
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_092221624.html

--
Slack

Maybe that'll keep the OC poseurama out of my way for a while.

JD