Look Ergopost Ti tightening help

Old January 22nd 05, 09:48 AM
Stan Cox

Default Look Ergopost Ti tightening help

Hi all
I got a bit carried away in the Geoffrey Butler January 20% off
everything sale. I "saved" over £500 I am in the process of building
up my lovely new Look bike. I bought a Look Ergopost Ti to go with it
and am a bit concerned about overtightening it. The instructions say
to tighten to 2 m.daN I have no idea what this means. I certainly dont
have a torque wrench that goes that low. What is the best way of
getting this tight without doing damage? TIA

Stan Cox

P.s. Just did a search in google for m.daN and it told me that Dan is
short for Daniel
Old January 22nd 05, 10:04 AM
m-gineering

Stan Cox wrote:

Hi all
I got a bit carried away in the Geoffrey Butler January 20% off
everything sale. I "saved" over £500 I am in the process of building
up my lovely new Look bike. I bought a Look Ergopost Ti to go with it
and am a bit concerned about overtightening it. The instructions say
to tighten to 2 m.daN I have no idea what this means. I certainly dont
have a torque wrench that goes that low. What is the best way of
getting this tight without doing damage? TIA

Stan Cox

P.s. Just did a search in google for m.daN and it told me that Dan is
short for Daniel

daN is a very complicated way of saying Kilo (deca Newton ie Newton *
10)

20 Nm= 14 lbsft

If you don't go beserk with a short allan key you should be ok

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old January 23rd 05, 09:00 AM
Stan Cox

m-gineering wrote:
Stan Cox wrote:

Hi all
I got a bit carried away in the Geoffrey Butler January 20% off
everything sale. I "saved" over £500 I am in the process of building
up my lovely new Look bike. I bought a Look Ergopost Ti to go with it
and am a bit concerned about overtightening it. The instructions say
to tighten to 2 m.daN I have no idea what this means. I certainly dont
have a torque wrench that goes that low. What is the best way of
getting this tight without doing damage? TIA

Stan Cox

P.s. Just did a search in google for m.daN and it told me that Dan is
short for Daniel

daN is a very complicated way of saying Kilo (deca Newton ie Newton *
10)

20 Nm= 14 lbsft

If you don't go beserk with a short allan key you should be ok

Aahh, Thank you very much. If they had just said 20nm I would have
understood. I am much more likely to undertighten it out of caution

Stan Cox
Old January 23rd 05, 02:03 PM
Derk

I don't know which LOOK you have, but to fix the seatpost, the 461 has a
bolt that goes through the top tube/seat tube lug and that system isn't
compatible with carbon seatposts according to TOUR magazine.

Greets, Derk

Old January 23rd 05, 02:24 PM
Derk

I meant to type: in order to fasten the seatpost. Don't know what hapenned
to my hands while typing: they didn't obey my mind.

Greets, Derk
Old January 24th 05, 08:09 AM
Stan Cox

Derk wrote:
I meant to type: in order to fasten the seatpost. Don't know what hapenned
to my hands while typing: they didn't obey my mind.

Greets, Derk

OK now I'm concerned. Although its a 25mm pin and I cant think of
another company which needs a pin of that diameter. I also have
trouble believing that Look would make a pin that you couldnt use on
their frames. I must investigate more.

Stan Cox
Old January 24th 05, 09:51 AM
Derk

Stan Cox wrote:
OK now I'm concerned. Although its a 25mm pin and I cant think of
another company which needs a pin of that diameter. I also have
trouble believing that Look would make a pin that you couldnt use on
their frames. I must investigate more.

I spoke about thsi in detail on the LOOK Web forum and they say you can use
it safely, but TOUR showed a destroyed pin. They say it's unsafe to use it
on the 461 frame, since it has a system the french call "tampon tangent". I
have no idea what you call that in English. I think the 461 is the only
LOOK frame that has this system. As long as your frame has a collar that
has to be tightened I wouldn't worry. I jave a 461 frame myself and mounted
an aluminium ITM Milennium seatpost for the reason mentioned above.

Greets, Derk

Tightening Axle on Giraffe... maskedriders Unicycling 8 August 12th 04 03:13 AM
spoke tightening MrBoogiejuice Unicycling 8 February 12th 04 04:41 AM
Tightening brake cables Pete Biggs UK 12 September 4th 03 08:50 AM
Chainring bolts - tightening tips? Phil.Winterbourne Mountain Biking 6 July 28th 03 01:27 PM