Do you know the answer?

Old July 12th 05, 07:58 AM
ACP

Default Do you know the answer?

I was riding behind a guy on the weekend and he had the weirdest cranks

I will try to explain. Normal cranks operate (to my way of thinking) a
opposites. If one arm goes down, the other goes up.

The guy I was behind had cranks that had both arms down at the sam
time! He rested both legs straight down when he wanted to coast for
few seconds.. and then when the group surged, he just pedalled normall
again! (With the cranks going 'opposite', as per a 'normal' set o
cranks)

Occasionally, he would do a few pedal strokes with both legs doing th
same thing at the same time!

Now someone COULD tell me that these are common, or that they are
training tool, but what the ??

--
ACP

Old July 12th 05, 08:08 AM
JH

ACP wrote:
I was riding behind a guy on the weekend and he had the weirdest cranks!

I will try to explain. Normal cranks operate (to my way of thinking) as
opposites. If one arm goes down, the other goes up.

The guy I was behind had cranks that had both arms down at the same
time! He rested both legs straight down when he wanted to coast for a
few seconds.. and then when the group surged, he just pedalled normally
again! (With the cranks going 'opposite', as per a 'normal' set of
cranks)

Occasionally, he would do a few pedal strokes with both legs doing the
same thing at the same time!

Now someone COULD tell me that these are common, or that they are a
training tool, but what the ???

Never seen them only read about them, maybe these:

http://www.powercranks.com/

jh
Old July 12th 05, 08:30 AM
Jimbo Jones

I saw a guy in brisbane with similar things on his tredly late last year, i
remember they were brass coloured, and they sure do look like those power
cranks. Don't know how they work tho'. I smoked him up hills and on the
flats - I think he was just showing them off going downhill (lesson:
throwing money at your bike doesn't make you more powerful).

Thats my 2c

Jimbo

Old July 12th 05, 08:37 AM
Brian Watson

ACP wrote:
I was riding behind a guy on the weekend and he had the weirdest cranks!

I will try to explain. Normal cranks operate (to my way of thinking) as
opposites. If one arm goes down, the other goes up.

The guy I was behind had cranks that had both arms down at the same
time! He rested both legs straight down when he wanted to coast for a
few seconds.. and then when the group surged, he just pedalled normally
again! (With the cranks going 'opposite', as per a 'normal' set of
cranks)

Occasionally, he would do a few pedal strokes with both legs doing the
same thing at the same time!

Now someone COULD tell me that these are common, or that they are a
training tool, but what the ???

Google Powercranks...

Brian.
Old July 12th 05, 08:55 AM
MikeyOz

Jimbo Jones Wrote:
I saw a guy in brisbane with similar things on his tredly late las
year,
remember they were brass coloured, and they sure do look like thos
powe
cranks. Don't know how they work tho'. I smoked him up hills and on th
flats - I think he was just showing them off going downhill (lesson
throwing money at your bike doesn't make you more powerful)

Thats my 2

Jimbo

yep, was riding behind somebody that had them as well, I had to look
or 4 times, to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing.... freaky...

--
MikeyO

Old July 12th 05, 04:07 PM
doug thomas

"ACP" wrote in message

I was riding behind a guy on the weekend and he had the weirdest cranks!

I will try to explain. Normal cranks operate (to my way of thinking) as
opposites. If one arm goes down, the other goes up.

The guy I was behind had cranks that had both arms down at the same
time! He rested both legs straight down when he wanted to coast for a
few seconds.. and then when the group surged, he just pedalled normally
again! (With the cranks going 'opposite', as per a 'normal' set of
cranks)

Occasionally, he would do a few pedal strokes with both legs doing the
same thing at the same time!

Now someone COULD tell me that these are common, or that they are a
training tool, but what the ???

--
ACP

This is a new one on me. We have a lady in our cycling club who has lost one
leg and uses a hand cycle which has two cranks that rotate together.
She can motor as well, but she is just plain athletic.
Maybe this rider has a problem with one leg - this would be my only idea.

Doug Thomas

Old July 13th 05, 07:56 AM
mogulhead

I think these are strictly a training aid. Sort of like riding on
legged all the time with both legs. Supposed to make you pedal i
circles better or something. I reckon its all a crock.

Cheer

--
mogulhead

Old July 13th 05, 08:25 AM
Graeme

JH wrote in news:R%JAe.38189$oJ.11204@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Never seen them only read about them, maybe these:

http://www.powercranks.com/

I thought these might be the answer (or at least a partial solution) to my
wife's knee problems. Then I saw the price Sorry dear, you'll just have
to wait for the knee surgery.

Graeme