Melbourne Mystery Ride

Old December 19th 05, 11:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Melbourne Mystery Ride

My buddies and me ride 40 - 60 Ks on a Saturday morning up and down
beach road (were not Robinson Crusoe). This is fun, but can get a
little so-so. We have discussed having a mystery ride once a month.

Can anyone suggest a good course with the following.

40 - 60 Ks
Some hills
Start and finish 30 minute drive from Brighton
Cycle friendly
Good coffee either at the finish or within 10K therof

--
ADA23

Old December 19th 05, 11:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

A good call for the 'so-so'. There are many options here... part of the
fun is finding your way I reckon!
A few places that you may want to set your compass for (and they are in
your 50-60 km range return to Brighton -ish) could be Doncaster
Shoppington (go out through the Eastern burbs and back) or you could
head to Kew Boulevard (make a couple of laps) and back. Another trip
you could make could take in could be out west.. not sure of route, but
from say, Middle Brighton baths, up through Port Melbourne, through
Docklands and then out West and back..
Good luck.. perhaps some others will have some better ideas!
(Longer routes should include a trip to Sassafras too!)

--
ACP

Old December 19th 05, 12:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"ADA23" wrote in message ...

My buddies and me ride 40 - 60 Ks on a Saturday morning up and down
beach road (were not Robinson Crusoe). This is fun, but can get a
little so-so. We have discussed having a mystery ride once a month.

Can anyone suggest a good course with the following.

40 - 60 Ks
Some hills
Start and finish 30 minute drive from Brighton
Cycle friendly
Good coffee either at the finish or within 10K therof

Maybe a mini BR? Doncaster Shopping town - Donvale - Warrandyte - Kangaroo
Ground - Smiths Gully Store - back in though Eltham to Doncaster.. that'd
be around 50-60kms, with some little bumps... great roads for riding, not
that much traffic about. Post ride details if you decide to do it..

cheers,
GPL

Old December 19th 05, 12:37 PM posted to aus.bicycle

ADA23 wrote:

My buddies and me ride 40 - 60 Ks on a Saturday morning up and down
beach road (were not Robinson Crusoe). This is fun, but can get a
little so-so. We have discussed having a mystery ride once a month.

Can anyone suggest a good course

I could but then it wouldn't be a mystery.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 19th 05, 07:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum Wrote:

I could but then it wouldn't be a mystery.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

boom-tishhhhhhh and why the need to drive for 30 minutes first?
just point the bike in a different direction. an admittedly unusual
thing to do in Beach Rd, but once you have yanked the tyres out of the
grooves, exploring is half the fun

--
flyingdutch

Old December 19th 05, 11:03 PM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch wrote:

Peter McCallum Wrote:

I could but then it wouldn't be a mystery.

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

boom-tishhhhhhh and why the need to drive for 30 minutes first?
just point the bike in a different direction. an admittedly unusual
thing to do in Beach Rd, but once you have yanked the tyres out of the
grooves, exploring is half the fun

Yes, I go for a ride a few times a week with my son. We just start
riding and decide along the way which way to go. Over the past few
months we've explored some great territory around here. I suppose that's
one of the advantages of living in a country town (oops! regional city
[slaps wrist]), you can be out of the urban area in about ten minutes.

I have friends that do the same course week after week for years, can't
think of anything more mind numbing.

Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA
Old December 19th 05, 11:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"GPLama" wrote in message
"ADA23" wrote in message ...

My buddies and me ride 40 - 60 Ks on a Saturday morning up and down
beach road (were not Robinson Crusoe). This is fun, but can get a
little so-so. We have discussed having a mystery ride once a month.

Can anyone suggest a good course with the following.

40 - 60 Ks
Some hills
Start and finish 30 minute drive from Brighton
Cycle friendly
Good coffee either at the finish or within 10K therof

Maybe a mini BR? Doncaster Shopping town - Donvale - Warrandyte -
Kangaroo Ground - Smiths Gully Store - back in though Eltham to
Doncaster.. that'd be around 50-60kms, with some little bumps... great
roads for riding, not that much traffic about. Post ride details if you
decide to do it..

cheers,
GPL

Roll a die and look at the number (or amount of dots) facing up. This
number is the amount of intersections you shall ride through. Roll it
again. If the number (or amount of dots) facing up is even, then at the
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th intersection (dependant of course on the
result of the first roll) turn left. If is is odd turn right. You can
change these around if you wish, which would mean that an even roll will be
a right turn and an odd number being a left turn. Ride the mystery course.
When you make your left or right turn you must roll twice again to decide
the next part of the ride. This continues for either one day, two days,
three days, four days, five days or six days. To decide on the amount of
days you shall ride for you must roll a die. This roll should be done at
the moment all of the riders are at the meeting point. I can tell you how
to work out a mystery meeting point also if you like.

Old December 20th 05, 12:18 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter McCallum wrote:

I have friends that do the same course week after week for years, can't
think of anything more mind numbing.

Imagine being a trackie!

Old December 20th 05, 12:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle

hmm, mini-BR?

--
Marx SS

Old December 20th 05, 12:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve wrote:

Peter McCallum wrote:

I have friends that do the same course week after week for years, can't
think of anything more mind numbing.

Imagine being a trackie!

Captain"s Log, Stardate 2005: Mr Sulu reports that he will be attempting
his 5000th lap of the solar system. No hostile life forms (combustible
interalus, etc) encountered. Mr Scott reports that the carbon-fibre
structure of the Enterprise is deteriorating. "She'll no be a fashion
statement much longer Captain" to quote him...

--
Peter McCallum
Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA