Melbourne Mystery Ride

Old December 20th 05, 12:55 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Melbourne Mystery Ride

"Marx SS" wrote in message ...

hmm, mini-BR?

BR Lite, BR 97% Fat Free, BR MAX, BR Zero.....

cheers,
GPL

Old December 20th 05, 03:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

ADA23 Wrote:
My buddies and me ride 40 - 60 Ks on a Saturday morning up and down
beach road (were not Robinson Crusoe). This is fun, but can get a
little so-so. We have discussed having a mystery ride once a month.

Can anyone suggest a good course with the following.

40 - 60 Ks
Some hills
Start and finish 30 minute drive from Brighton
Cycle friendly
Good coffee either at the finish or within 10K therof

You could start at Studley Park coffee shop and head out along the path
that goes beside the sth eastern (Koonung trail, perhaps?). That would
be about 40 or so return...

Or, start from Brighton...

There is the Altona/Werribee beach trek which has some nice spots along
the way, but no hills. We don't do hills in the West

ali

--
alison_b

Old December 20th 05, 11:27 AM posted to aus.bicycle

-*Option 1*-- drive 30 mins to Safety Beach , then
ride across to Flinders, fuel up and ride back, or
likewise to Sorrento, or Hastings, via back of Arthurs Seat or Red Hill
(markets perhaps for a diversion if on ), or
-*Option 2*-- Starting at Frankston even and riding down to Safety
Beach via Mornington and Esplanade at Mt Martha is a great hit out,
undulating, water views and lots of cafés en-route.
-*Option 3*--Drive to Diamond Creek and Ride up to Kinglake and stop
at Lovegrove Vinyard Winery and Art Gallery at Cottle's Bridge for
coffee and a sip on the way back.....just Hike in to the Cellar Door
via the lower vinyard paddock past the dam, dont try to ride the access
road hill unless you are on a cross bike or MTB derivative...but the
wine , nibbles, coffee, bocé and company are great.....Stephen and
Louise are great hosts ( plug ends)
-*Option 4*-- ride Beach Road again on your retro bike in retro gear
and imagine you are riding around the shores of the Med...yell at all
the cars in Italian or French, stop for Gitanes or Gaulloises every
café and give an "oo la la" to every shapely derriére of whatever
persuasion turns you on...velo velo velo
-*Option 5*-- ride to Belgian Beer Café from wherever, hang your bikes
on their hitching rail and indulge all afternoon in the beer
garden...8%Leffe Brun, Duvel, Stella, Chimay Blue ahhhhh...and
necessary mussels and frités...oh, then get a maxi cab home...

Have Fun

--
rooman

Old December 20th 05, 12:32 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"rooman" wrote in message

-*Option 1*-- drive 30 mins to Safety Beach , then
ride across to Flinders, fuel up and ride back, or
likewise to Sorrento, or Hastings, via back of Arthurs Seat or Red Hill
(markets perhaps for a diversion if on ), or
-*Option 2*-- Starting at Frankston even and riding down to Safety
Beach via Mornington and Esplanade at Mt Martha is a great hit out,
undulating, water views and lots of cafés en-route.

SNIP
rooman

I was thinking pretty much the same thing. The Mornington Peninsula still
ranks as one of my favourite places for bike riding. It's one of the few
places I miss since I shifted severely west. I used to enjoy the ride
between Parkwood, where I lived, down to visit friends in Mt Martha,
avoiding Nepean Hwy as much as possible by riding down Station Street,
through Aspendale, Chelsea, etc. And if I felt lazy coming home, I'd jump
on the train with my bike at Frankston. Olivers Hill was a hairy ride down
sometimes as some car drivers didn't seem to know how to cope with a bike
going at the same speed, or faster, down the hill. Having slogged up Hopes
Rise, so as to avoid mixing with the main traffic up Olivers Hill, on the
way to MM, it made the return descent all the more sweet.

Oops, getting carried away reminiscing.

Graeme
Perth WA

Old December 20th 05, 01:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-20, rooman (aka Bruce)
-*Option 5*-- ride to Belgian Beer Café from wherever, hang your bikes
on their hitching rail and indulge all afternoon in the beer
garden...8%Leffe Brun, Duvel, Stella, Chimay Blue ahhhhh...and
necessary mussels and frités...oh, then get a maxi cab home...

Stella? The drink of the low socio economic groups in Belgium?
Exported because it is cheap?

Leffe Brüne, now I can heartily endorse this product and/or service.

--
TimC
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice.
Old December 20th 05, 01:58 PM posted to aus.bicycle

rooman wrote:

-*Option 2*-- Starting at Frankston even and riding down to Safety
Beach via Mornington and Esplanade at Mt Martha is a great hit out,
undulating, water views and lots of cafés en-route.

This is a fantastic ride. Heartily endorse it!

Old December 20th 05, 05:50 PM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-20, rooman (aka Bruce)
Stella? The drink of the low socio economic groups in Belgium?
Exported because it is cheap?
Leffe Brüne, now I can heartily endorse this product and/or service.

Stella, aka Wife-beater?

Does that garbage actually come from Beer-Heaven, aka Belgium?

Guess there has to be a "hell" to balance the books.

hippy

--
hippy