Campagnolo Mechanic Melbourne

Old April 23rd 06, 12:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Campagnolo Mechanic Melbourne

Rode my mates Scott with Ultegra today and it shifts as smooth as silk.
My Campy Centaur is extremely "clunky", always has been (5000 kms).

Whos the best Campagnolo Mechanic in Melbourne that will fix this, or
is this the way things are?

--
ADA23

Old April 23rd 06, 01:20 PM posted to aus.bicycle

ADA23 Wrote:
Rode my mates Scott with Ultegra today and it shifts as smooth as silk.
My Campy Centaur is extremely "clunky", always has been (5000 kms).

Whos the best Campagnolo Mechanic in Melbourne that will fix this, or
is this the way things are?

no personal experience with Centaur altho the popular consensus is it
is noticeably less smooth than Chorus. Possibly due to the differing
bushings/innards used?
Depends where in Melb you are.
CecilWalker (altho they can run hot-cold mechanically imho)
Spoken (never gone wrong but ex'y)
CycleWorks Box Hill
Mascot Cycles Richmond.
All known campy supporters.
Most LBS decent spanner-monkeys 'should' be able to do it,
altho they may scratch their heads wondering where the cables went

PS dunno if the ol' addage of 'Campy wears in, Shimano wears out' still
applies

--
flyingdutch

Old April 28th 06, 09:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle

My Chorus is getting better each month... it was unforgiven changing up
climbs but seems to have settled down a fair bit. Still think Ultegra
is smoother all-rounder though.

cheers,
Bill

--
kyra

Old April 28th 06, 10:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

kyra wrote:
My Chorus is getting better each month... it was unforgiven changing up
climbs but seems to have settled down a fair bit. Still think Ultegra
is smoother all-rounder though.

Are we talking about old 9sp Ultegra or new 10sp Ultegra. Shimano
reckon their new one is a huge leap over the old. I'm riding the old,
wondering if when it wears out it would be worth replacing the groupset
with a new 10sp Ultegra or going Campy Chorus.

What needs to be done to a bike (Trek 2300, currently with Ultegra 9sp)
to convert it to Campy?

(I won't ask "is it worth it" because I suspect its one of thos
personal preference Vi vs Emacs type things that usually results in a
flamewar...) :-)

Travis

Old April 28th 06, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Travis wrote:
kyra wrote:

My Chorus is getting better each month... it was unforgiven changing up
climbs but seems to have settled down a fair bit. Still think Ultegra
is smoother all-rounder though.

Are we talking about old 9sp Ultegra or new 10sp Ultegra. Shimano
reckon their new one is a huge leap over the old. I'm riding the old,
wondering if when it wears out it would be worth replacing the groupset
with a new 10sp Ultegra or going Campy Chorus.

What needs to be done to a bike (Trek 2300, currently with Ultegra 9sp)
to convert it to Campy?

I'll take a stab here ...

- new chain and new cassette
- new freehub
- the usual groupset changes (shifters and derailleurs)
- bottom bracket?
- crank and chain rings?

(I won't ask "is it worth it" because I suspect its one of thos
personal preference Vi vs Emacs type things that usually results in a
flamewar...) :-)

Travis

Now, now ... we are all mature adults here. Vi and emacs users are both
tolerated. pico users, on the other hand ...

Old April 28th 06, 02:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle

petulance wrote:
Travis wrote:
kyra wrote:

My Chorus is getting better each month... it was unforgiven changing up
climbs but seems to have settled down a fair bit. Still think Ultegra
is smoother all-rounder though.

Are we talking about old 9sp Ultegra or new 10sp Ultegra. Shimano
reckon their new one is a huge leap over the old. I'm riding the old,
wondering if when it wears out it would be worth replacing the groupset
with a new 10sp Ultegra or going Campy Chorus.

What needs to be done to a bike (Trek 2300, currently with Ultegra 9sp)
to convert it to Campy?

I'll take a stab here ...

- new chain and new cassette
- new freehub

And maybe new hub, as not all hubs can take a different freehub.

- the usual groupset changes (shifters and derailleurs)
- bottom bracket?

Yes. Shimano Optilink won't work with a campag crankset.

- crank and chain rings?

Yep.

And new cables - the housings are different.

ie: the full cost of the groupset.

(I won't ask "is it worth it" because I suspect its one of thos
personal preference Vi vs Emacs type things that usually results in a
flamewar...) :-)

Travis

Now, now ... we are all mature adults here. Vi and emacs users are both
tolerated. pico users, on the other hand ...

I knew a "sysadmin" who used pico to edit /etc/passwd (I **** you not)

Oddly enough, the server wouldn't work after that ... linewrap .. "ace"
I ended up writing an article in AUUG's rag about it way back then ...
scary...

Old April 29th 06, 11:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Travis wrote:
Are we talking about old 9sp Ultegra or new 10sp Ultegra. Shimano
reckon their new one is a huge leap over the old. I'm riding the old,
wondering if when it wears out it would be worth replacing the groupset
with a new 10sp Ultegra or going Campy Chorus.

What needs to be done to a bike (Trek 2300, currently with Ultegra 9sp)
to convert it to Campy?

I made this swap in 2004, after waiting an eon for Shimano to produce
10sp and finally getting jack of it. Although you can keep some bits,
it is a lot of screwing around. I finally sold my DA wheels, built new
Campag ones and made a full swap. Now I don't have to think about it
any more. It took a while to get used to the shape and action of the
ergo levers, but otherwise am happy. I put the Ultegra 9sp on another
bike that I ride occasionally, and it's very sloppy compared to the
Chorus.

Donga

Old April 29th 06, 12:02 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Travis wrote:
[...]

I should mention that after 8000 km, the return spring in the right
ergo lever broke. It cost me $150 to repair (bought the set in Italy,
so no warranty without a hassle). At least with Campag I could get it
fixed, I suppose! Still, not happy Jan.

Donga