The "scott"

Old October 10th 06, 12:35 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

Default The "scott"

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:33:04 -0700, RobWoozle wrote:

In 02 I was a newbie riding with a caving Petzl lamp at night and
should have been DQ'd for very bad language during a spill on skyline.

Bloody hell. I reckon I could tell you exactly where that was, and it's
been 4 years since the (4-5) times I rode that track. The big rock about
2/3 through, that was just nasty, right?

Oh, and my 3rd and last lap this year I got the switchbacks clear. Mmmm,
flowy!
--
Dave Hughes |
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of
Old October 10th 06, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
Hello to all the a.bers whom I finally had the chance to
meet in person on the weekend, especially to Gags who was my
wonderful partner for the ride, and the commentary crew who
weren't nearly as annoying as the crew at Kooralbyn.

Tam and I caught up on the Friday night and went to Queanbeyan to get
supplies and dinner. Here's a tip...eat dinner before buying food
supplies!!! We failed to do this and ended up spending about $150 on
supplies of which we had about a third or so left at the end of the race. I
let Tam pick most of the food given my nutrition disaster at the Gravity
12hr and we ended up with stacks of stuff that worked out really well for
me. Then went to get pizza and after my sterling effort of finding a
parking spot, we encountered a girl who must have been the smartest pizza
shop assistant ever.......just in front of the checkout chick we had at
Woolies!!! Needless to say, Tam was pretty impressed with the Queanbeyan
locals!!!!

First lap sucked.....had to run 800m in a dusty pack and then ride 20km in
an even dustier pack including a 5-10min wait at the first singletrack
section before the switchbacks.

We had a few problems, including a lap where Gags had five
flats and ran his bike home (catching some riders...)

Second lap was not the highlight of my weekend!!! I was pretty well nailing
it up until the 10km mark thinking that second lap of the day for me would
be best chance to break 1hr. Got first flat at about 10km point (pinch
flat). Did a super fast change with no levers (about 3 min) then about 1km
later got another pinch flat. Out with the second tube.......change tube,
wheel on, pump up, remove pump and manage to break the valve by bending the
presta bit!!! Pull out glueless patches and patch the two holes due to
pinch flat on first tube....another 2km or so.....tyre goes down slowly
(this time was not a pinch flat). Get tube from passing rider.....change
again......keep riding....get to 5km to go sign and tyre goes down again.
By this stage I am sure that I am jinxed so I decide to run the last 5km
wheeling the bike and jumping off the singletrack every time someone caught
up to me. As Tam said, I caught up to a couple of chicks on the last bit of
singletrack and they heard me coming and started to pull off to let me
through??? After some encouragement they stayed on the track as there was
only 50m or so left until the final fire road section. I came in with all
the tubes over my shoulders and the anouncer said he had no tubes to give me
but gave me a "25 years of Stumpjumper" book....woooot!!

3rd and 4th laps were a double night lap.....good fun but was seriously
fatigued by midway through the second lap and was struggling to hold my line
through corners. Oh yeah, had a flat on the fourth lap too but only one
thank god!! Came back, woke up Tam then after she left I had a shower
(definitely a high point for me) and then went to bed. What seemed like 5
minutes later, Tam woke me up at 4am after taking about 3hrs for her lap
(cracked her head early then couldn't stay upright). I procrastinated for
some time then decided to wait until 6am before heading out (don't need
lights after this).

Did another double lap with a bit of a break in between. My back was
starting to get pretty sore by this stage but I did tell Tam that I would do
the last lap if she wasn't up to it. Being the trooper that she is (and
because there was no blood to prove she crashed.....Tam's rule, not mine!!)
she went out for the final lap.

So in total, I did 140km and Tam did 100km......pretty happy with our
results given that we weren't taking the whole thing too seriously anyway.
Thanks Tam, I had a blast!!!

Gags

Old October 11th 06, 01:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

RobWoozle wrote:
snip
Our team of 6 had no flats but we did break a couple of spokes and
smash one derailleur - ouch!

Oooh, I helped someone convert to singlespeed, so if that was during
the last lap of the race, it could've been from your team.

Tam*can't ride very well, but is a good help, stopping to provide
chainbreaker and advice, and letting someone share my lights for the
entire first night lap, and sticking with the bung-knee guy after
cracking my head, just in case either of us got into worse trouble*

Old October 11th 06, 03:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
RobWoozle

Dave Hughes wrote:
On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 21:33:04 -0700, RobWoozle wrote:

In 02 I was a newbie riding with a caving Petzl lamp at night and
should have been DQ'd for very bad language during a spill on skyline.

Bloody hell. I reckon I could tell you exactly where that was, and it's
been 4 years since the (4-5) times I rode that track. The big rock about
2/3 through, that was just nasty, right?

Oh, and my 3rd and last lap this year I got the switchbacks clear. Mmmm,
flowy!

Yep - that's the rock. Lost half a packet of jelly beans and had to
scrabble in the dark to find the batteries for the head torch!! LOL

This years "moment" was missing the bridge (plank) at the bottom of the
switchbacks....at least the crowd got a good laugh!!

Rob

Old October 11th 06, 04:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

I had a ball, and reckoned the commentary was OK. Ahem. ;^) We gave out
lots of stuff, battled with the separate sound systems for transition
and the Expo, ate a lot of dust, drank quite a bit of beer, and
generally had fun.

Met Tam, but not Gags or other a.bers. I did spot another person in a
Netti Flannie jersey, and seem to recall that at least one other a.ber
was going to wear theirs (I wore mine) maybe it was someone here.

If you were out during my night lap (very slow) you'd have almost
certainly seen me. I think most riders passed me at some stage or other
when the track went uphill, but I generally came back on the downhills.
I was the weirdo with the lights. green LEDs on my downtube, bright
blue LEDs over my forks, EL wire on my top tube, EL wire on my
backpack, and some especially odd EL wire arrangements on my helmet.
And of course the compulsory flashing LED rears and 2 x headlights.
Attracted many comments, cheers and jeers. If only I hadn't broken my
extra blue flasher when getting it mounted, and if only I'd remembered
my LED armband, and if I'd ridden the hardtail, I'd have had space for
the orange neon. Then you'd have seen a disco show! Maybe next year.

I have to say that I reckoned duallie was the only way to go - but I
don't particularly recommend something as silly as heavyweight Kona
Coiler. A nice light duallie with 5-6" travel would have been very
sweet - not too heavy to lug up hills, and a weapon on the downhills.
Hardtails, on that course, were for masochists and those being very
serious.

And as for you Parbs - we did our laps - slowly. No Gu for you! And
definitely no schwag! I blame slow transitions for poor lap times -
getting changed and dragging the bike out the car *after* Dave@ came in
wasn't the most competitive idea!

I've now lost my 24hr virginity, and I'm now an experienced commentator
- we can only get better (sheesh, I hope so!). I hope I get to do it
all again at Stromlo.

Tony F
7364
Team Talkers
I said... slow transitions, that's all, not slow riding, No, it was the
transitions, honestly. I didn't stop to rebuild a lung, or walk at all.
Not at all I tell you! [1]

[1] This may be a lie

Old October 11th 06, 09:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 21:57:56 +1000, Gags wrote:

the anouncer said he had no tubes to give me but gave me a "25 years of
Stumpjumper" book....woooot!!

Oh yeah. Was that any good? I didn't get a chance to nick a copy, and only
had a quick flick through. Looked alright to me, with some cool old
photos of bikes we wouldn't ride today being ridden faster than we do on
our wanky bikes.

Glad I could make that lap worthwhile in some way in any case.
--
Dave Hughes |
And you don't think the government lets you buy _real_ tinfoil do you?
Old October 11th 06, 02:31 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"thefathippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Yep.....I passed you on one of my night laps......thought I recognised you
on one of the day laps from the article you did in one of the mtb mags some
time ago on homemade lights but I wasn't sure enough to yel out "hey fat
hippy" in case I was mistaken and inadvertantly offended some tree hugger

I had a great weekend.....now I just have to see if I can organise a ride at
the Gravity 12hr as a solo.....

Gags

Old October 12th 06, 01:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Gags wrote:

supplies and dinner. Here's a tip...eat dinner before buying food
supplies!!! We failed to do this and ended up spending about $150 on

If we'd done that, we would've paid full price for the
pizzas...

supplies of which we had about a third or so left at the end of the race. I
let Tam pick most of the food given my nutrition disaster at the Gravity
12hr and we ended up with stacks of stuff that worked out really well for
me. Then went to get pizza and after my sterling effort of finding a

Mmmmm, cheese sangers, sweet chilli twiggy and pickled
onions did it for me - like rocket fuel! And how about those
Tim Tams....

Did another double lap with a bit of a break in between. My back was
starting to get pretty sore by this stage but I did tell Tam that I would do
the last lap if she wasn't up to it. Being the trooper that she is (and
because there was no blood to prove she crashed.....Tam's rule, not mine!!)
she went out for the final lap.

The scabs are healing nicely, thank you :P Although I did
leave half of the elbow scab on the lane rope at the pool
last night (I'm no backstroker).

So in total, I did 140km and Tam did 100km......pretty happy with our
results given that we weren't taking the whole thing too seriously anyway.
Thanks Tam, I had a blast!!!

You're welcome dude, I had fun too. And you know I was
seriously tempted to send you out on that last lap...

Tam
Old October 12th 06, 03:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Hey Gags,

you forgot to mention that I'm not nearly as scary as you
thought I would be...

Old October 12th 06, 03:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Hey Gags,

you forgot to mention that I'm not nearly as scary as you
thought I would be...

I dunno, you were getting pretty scary when you complained
(justifiably) about dickheads trying to squeeze in extra laps and
barging rudely past. ;^)

Tony F