WTB: 7-speed shifter(s)

Old February 1st 07, 11:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F

Default WTB: 7-speed shifter(s)

Hi all,

I'm trying to recommission an old MTB with an alivio 7-speed drivetrain, but
(surprise, surprise) the rear shifter's broken.

Does anyone have some 7-speed shifters (or even just one rear one) lying
around? They do sell them for $50 at my LBS (Lyneham, ACT) but I'm trying to
do this on the cheap

I can even offer to swap a spare XT front shifter (rapidfire)!

Cheers,

//Adam F

Old February 1st 07, 12:57 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Elguapo

Default 7-speed shifter(s)

"Adam F" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm trying to recommission an old MTB with an alivio 7-speed drivetrain,
but (surprise, surprise) the rear shifter's broken.

Does anyone have some 7-speed shifters (or even just one rear one) lying
around? They do sell them for $50 at my LBS (Lyneham, ACT) but I'm trying
to do this on the cheap

I can even offer to swap a spare XT front shifter (rapidfire)!

Cheers,

//Adam F

Try Ebay. There is some here for $9 buy it now...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alivio-7-spee...QQcmdZViewItem

I should think postage won't be more than $10.

Old February 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On Feb 1, 10:43 pm, "Adam F" wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to recommission an old MTB with an alivio 7-speed drivetrain, but
(surprise, surprise) the rear shifter's broken.

Out of curiosity, is it broken or not working? That's not as stupid a
question as it seems, the old 7 speed shifters are famous for the
grease inside them gumming up after a few (10 or so) years and then
the pawls don't work right, and it won't change gear. We regularly
get old bikes in with 'broken' shifters that after a good cleanout
with solvent and regreasing, work just fine. A lot of LBS's just
replace them (and make $ doing so) but often they're quite ok, unless
actually physically broken somewhere. Maybe something to try if you
haven't already? you'll need a small philips head screwdriver and a
solvent, we use brake cleaner because it's convenient and doesn't
dissolve the plastic bits.

If not, I know we have them lying around for about $20 or so (2nd
hand) but we're nowhere near the ACT

Old February 1st 07, 10:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave

On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 13:56:49 -0800, Bleve wrote:

Out of curiosity, is it broken or not working? That's not as stupid a
question as it seems, the old 7 speed shifters are famous for the
grease inside them gumming up after a few (10 or so) years and then
the pawls don't work right, and it won't change gear.

Good point. WD-40 or clones works well as a flush as well, and doesn't
seem to have dissolved too many of my older shifters. I tend to use a
silicone spray afterwards in the hopes of getting rid of the stickiest
residue, but I've no idea if this works at all.

Thanks for reminding me to get some more brake cleaner as well.
--
Dave Hughes |
Never go off on tangents, which are lines that intersect a curve at
Old February 5th 07, 09:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Adam F

"Bleve" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 1, 10:43 pm, "Adam F" wrote:
[...]

Cheers for the advice - I'm 99% sure it's broken, as the shifter just has no
purchase at all when trying to change to a bigger sprocket.

I ended up going with the ebay auction above, will see if they arrive in one
piece (shipping was US$9).

Now I just need to figure out how to install the little buggers - sux being
a noob

//Adam F