New fork: Cut or spacers?

Old August 10th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chino Cherokee

Default New fork: Cut or spacers?

My current (Threaded) steerer tube is 187 mm.

New one is 200 mm.

I'll probably take it to a shop and they'll install it, but thought I'd
ask....

In your opinion, should they cut it down? or should they use spacers.

I figure that 13 mm is about 1/2 and inch.

TIA,

-Bob

Old August 10th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
TonyKiz

Are you replacing a threaded fork with an unthreaded one? If so, use spacers
so you have more options for future changes of clamp-on stems. If it's a
threaded fork, I don't think you have the option of using spacers...

Old August 11th 07, 05:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Aug 11, 2:33 am, Hell and High Water
wrote:
In article ,
says...

Are you replacing a threaded fork with an unthreaded one? If so, use spacers
so you have more options for future changes of clamp-on stems. If it's a
threaded fork, I don't think you have the option of using spacers...

I have a threaded fork.

I'm replacing it with a threaded fork.

I am changing the headset as well, but it's just another 1" threaded
headset.

I was under the impression that spacers WERE an option...

??

-Bob

Why would you use spacers with a threaded fork/headset? You just vary
the insertion of the quill stem.

Donga

KH '04 spacers subsonic87 Unicycling 4 November 7th 06 12:59 AM
Spacers above the stem Javier Techniques 10 May 17th 06 11:14 PM
spacers on a threaded fork? maxo Techniques 8 December 15th 05 06:34 AM
where do the spacers go? teachndad Unicycling 2 January 27th 04 09:45 PM
KH hub and crank spacers... one wheeled stallion Unicycling 5 November 28th 03 08:51 PM