Bottom bracket, no play ,still replace.

Old June 4th 13, 07:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Default Bottom bracket, no play ,still replace.

I am 99% sure my bottom bracket is clicking and ticking as I pedal
along. I was hoping it was the seat tube or the saddle's metal
structure but not pedaling produces no noise and standing on the pedals
rather than sitting on the saddle produce the noise so I am fairly
certain it is the BB.

Now I have only done about 1500 miles over about 6 months, should a
BB only last this long (fair enough it was over a Scottish winter [road
grit/salt etc])?

There is NO appreciable play in the BB, is it still likely to be FUBAR
inside although there is no play? Should I replace on suspicion or take
it out and see if it feels "gritty" if turned by hand out of the frame?

BB is a, probably, cheapo no name version of a Shimano UN26 (square
taper) job

An EBC pic of a Shimano replacement :-
http://ancillary.edinburghbicycle.com/image-cache/00007754/00008623/large/shimano-un26-bottom-bracket.jpg

or if that doesn't wrap properly :-
http://tinyurl.com/lttu973
Old June 4th 13, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 04/06/2013 07:10, soup wrote:
I am 99% sure my bottom bracket is clicking and ticking as I pedal
along. I was hoping it was the seat tube or the saddle's metal
structure but not pedaling produces no noise and standing on the pedals
rather than sitting on the saddle produce the noise so I am fairly
certain it is the BB.

Now I have only done about 1500 miles over about 6 months, should a
BB only last this long (fair enough it was over a Scottish winter [road
grit/salt etc])?

There is NO appreciable play in the BB, is it still likely to be FUBAR
inside although there is no play? Should I replace on suspicion or take
it out and see if it feels "gritty" if turned by hand out of the frame?

I've never had to replace a modern sealed BB, so normally they do last I
think I did 30,000 km on my last bike.

If you are really worried slip the chain off. Turn the pedals by hand.
If you can't feel resistance stop worrying.

Even if it is a little poorly what is the downside of just waiting for
it to get really ill.

Old June 4th 13, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_7_]

Nick wrote:

I've never had to replace a modern sealed BB, so normally they do last I
think I did 30,000 km on my last bike.

That's the lines I was thinking along. E-mailed EBC and they said it
was wear and tear and wasn't covered by the guarantee and that 1,500
miles was a reasonable life span for a BB. I felt 1,500 miles[1] was
far to short a time for the BB to last (even a cheapo repro job) hence
asking.

If you are really worried slip the chain off. Turn the pedals by hand.
If you can't feel resistance stop worrying.

Mmm shall try that (another of my mini tests to see if it is the BB).

Even if it is a little poorly what is the downside of just waiting for
it to get really ill.

The noise! It sounds like everyone can hear me, maybe they can't really
but it certainly feels that way, coming from miles of.

[1] 18¾ thousand miles V 1½thousand miles sounds more than just the
"Mass manufacture lottery"
Old June 4th 13, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ennemm[_2_]

On 4 June, 09:22, Nick wrote:
On 04/06/2013 07:10, soup wrote:

[...]

if you have had an ingress of dirt or water then they will deteoriate
very quickly, replace, it 'aint expensive, ensure the adjustment is
correct, don't forget to replace the seals (unless you want an action
replay).
Old June 4th 13, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
[email protected][_2_]

On Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:10:44 AM UTC+2, soup wrote:
[...]

I'd forgotten all about it, but I had something similar with a Dawes Galaxy a few years back. A tick on every press of the left pedal IIRC, as if the crank was slightly loose, although I couldn't feel anything like that. Started after about 400 miles, and carried on despite me swinging off every spanner I could think of to tighten cranks, bottom bracket etc.
Then it went away again after about 1200 miles, so I thought no more about it, other than to reflect it might have been a bit of metallic crud in the BB that came loose and was eventually ground up.
Old June 4th 13, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

On Jun 4, 7:10*am, soup wrote:
[...]

I did two winters with a FAG bearing and probably 25,000 miles before
it got gritty. Using a paintbrush and paraffin I washed the exposed
part of the axle and dried off with a clean cloth. I squirted thin
oil at the axle with the bike on its side while turning. It was still
good after another 8 months including 1/2 of a 3rd winter, when bike
was stolen, but did show a little wear, perhaps 1mm movement at the
chainring. This amount of wear is inconsequential and I find it
perfectly acceptable. I don't know where I would call the limit, but
feel it is likely fine to push on until the balls break with sealed
cartridge systems.
Old June 4th 13, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
thirty-six

It's just ********.

If you are really worried slip the chain off. Turn the pedals by hand.
If you can't feel resistance stop worrying.

Mmm shall try that (another of my mini tests to see if it is the BB).

just use one finger and if there is a problem you will feel it as the
the bearing will step rather move smoothly. If it's just scratchy,
it's probably only the cup rubbing the axle and a gentle clean will
clear that.

Even if it is a little poorly what is the downside of just waiting for
it to get really ill.

The noise! It sounds like everyone can hear me, maybe they can't really
but it certainly feels that way, coming from miles of.

[1] 18 thousand miles V 1 thousand miles sounds more than just the
"Mass manufacture lottery"

Well when you have sorted it, keep the axle clean, tie a loop of cord
around each side and this will soak up the water preventing it washing
along the spindle. It will also get dirty and there may come a time
when it should be replaced. Use a mudflap on your front mudguard.
Old June 4th 13, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 04/06/2013 09:39, ennemm wrote:

if you have had an ingress of dirt or water then they will deteoriate
very quickly, replace, it 'aint expensive, ensure the adjustment is
correct, don't forget to replace the seals (unless you want an action
replay).

I think the modern ones are totally non maintenance. I can't remember
touching a bottom bracket since I was a kid.

Old June 4th 13, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 04 Jun 2013 07:10:44 +0100, soup wrote:

I am 99% sure my bottom bracket is clicking and ticking as I pedal
along. I was hoping it was the seat tube or the saddle's metal
structure but not pedaling produces no noise and standing on the pedals
rather than sitting on the saddle produce the noise so I am fairly
certain it is the BB.

Now I have only done about 1500 miles over about 6 months, should a
BB only last this long (fair enough it was over a Scottish winter [road
grit/salt etc])?

I don't think I've ever replaced a bottom bracket. The most-travelled
one probably has about eight years of 50-miles-a-week commuting plus
some leisure riding - I'd guess 25k miles, which was year-round and
included Surrey winters (rain, floods, etc).

The current commuting bike (60-miles-a-week year-round) is closing on
that mileage. It's a Halfords Carrera job and coming up to 7 years
old, so 20k miles or so. I've not touched the bottom bracket, and
have no idea what's in there, but I doubt it's anything high spec.

Have you checked it's not your shoes ticking? Cleats clicking, or
laces ends pinging a bottle cage?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old June 4th 13, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

soup wrote:

I am 99% sure my bottom bracket is clicking and ticking as I pedal
along. I was hoping it was the seat tube or the saddle's metal
structure but not pedaling produces no noise and standing on the
pedals rather than sitting on the saddle produce the noise so I am
fairly certain it is the BB.

Now I have only done about 1500 miles over about 6 months, should a
BB only last this long (fair enough it was over a Scottish winter
[road grit/salt etc])?

There is NO appreciable play in the BB, is it still likely to be
FUBAR inside although there is no play? Should I replace on suspicion
or take it out and see if it feels "gritty" if turned by hand out of
the frame?

No need to take it out of the frame, just take the cranks off and feel
how it turns. Your click could be any part of the drive train, from
rear hub or freewheel to chainrings or pedals, or even the headset or
handlebar/stem.