Trikki Beltran's bad concussion and his helmet

Old July 15th 05, 05:26 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Callistus Valerius:
They wheeled me into flu ward, and I had to endure listening to all
of these slugs coughing and wheezing.

Did you come down with the flu later?
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 15th 05, 05:54 PM
Bill Sornson

Donald Munro wrote:
B. Lafferty wrote:
I'll bet you **** with a helmet and heart rate monitor. Probably a
good thing, too.

You need a helmet if you're going to **** with your head in the sand.

Well, a /snorkle/, anyway!

:-D

Old July 15th 05, 10:01 PM
(PeteCresswell)

Per David Damerell:
Why you think something that increases the lever arm won't hurt in
torsional impacts.

I'm more or less of a helmet zealot since undergoing a little attitude
adjustment some years back.

But in support of your observation, I'm pretty sure I messed up my neck a couple
years back taking a header in the water at 20+ mph wearing a helmet
(windsurfing).

There was a definate sensation of the helmet catching water and twisting my
neck.

I'd extrapolate from that to believe that there's a risk factor in bike helmets
around the helmet catching on something (i.e. MTB riding...).

I still wear the things - but it's not a black-white issue with me.
--
PeteCresswell
Old July 15th 05, 11:09 PM
hell0.com (Alex B.)

These threads are all so tiresome. This subject has been beat to
death, and still no conclusion has been reached. You guys can go on
all you want citing statistically insignificant personal events, but
you are neither convincing anyone, nor proving anything. An issue like
this needs scientific study, not the opinion of some random guy off
rec.bicycles.misc.

As for me, I'm taking no side, as both are as unconvincing as the other.

Old July 16th 05, 02:20 AM
Mark Janeba

gym.gravity wrote:

Will wrote:

gym.gravity wrote:

gwhite wrote:

Good thing he was wearing a helmet.

**** off!

Given the gentle response above, one might assume that it is too late
for you to get much benefit from a helmet g.

I was just trying to fast forward the thread to it's inevitable
conclusion.

Hitler! Nazis!

There. Thread over. Move along folks, nothing to see here, go back to
your homes.

We now return you to your normally scheduled RBR, RBT, RBM programming.

Mark

Old July 16th 05, 04:07 AM
wvantwiller

David Damerell wrote in
:

Quoting Qui si parla Campagnolo :
Jay Beattie wrote:
Like, does the name Casartelli ring a bell?

He actually hit more of his face than his upper head but I agree...
Helmets-don't hurt, may help. What's so diffuclt to understand?

Why you think something that increases the lever arm won't hurt in
torsional impacts.

Why you think something that dissapates and redistributes the point
stresses that will inevitably also be present in the non-torsional part of
the impact isn't a good thing?

Compare and contrast the maybe 1" difference, allowing for the obviously
different coefficient of friction of skin vs plastic along with the slip in
the helmet suspension, with the abrasions and non-rotational trauma
inflicted.

I personally knew at least one child and one father who would be alive
today if they had been wearing helmets after they died from the trauma of
minor bicycle falls; I know of nobody who has died from a twisted neck.

I also wish I had had a helmet on when I smashed my glass lens into my face
on a fall and took 8 stitches to put the eyebrow and other skin back in
place. It's nice to know you can duck and cover on a fall instead of
trying to keep your cranium off the ground.
Old July 16th 05, 09:06 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:07:35 -0400, wvantwiller
wrote:

Why you think something that increases the lever arm won't hurt in
torsional impacts.

Why you think something that dissapates and redistributes the point
stresses that will inevitably also be present in the non-torsional part of
the impact isn't a good thing?

But there is no known case where cyclist safety has improved with
increasing helmet use, so obviously what goes on after the crash is
only part of the story.

I personally knew at least one child and one father who would be alive
today if they had been wearing helmets after they died from the trauma of
minor bicycle falls; I know of nobody who has died from a twisted neck.

You think? I wonder why, then, there is no robust evidence that
helmets actually save lives?

Mind you, what would I know? I suffered a serious bicycle crash many
years ago and wasn't wearing a helmet, so obviously I'm dead!

But you misunderstand. The torsional force is important not because
of its effect on the neck, but because of the differential movement it
causes between the hemispheres of the brain. These torsional forces
are reckoned to be a (some say the) major source of permanent
disabling brain injury.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

"Let’s have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle."
- Earl Blumenauer
Old July 16th 05, 10:00 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

wrote:

I personally knew at least one child and one father who would be alive
today if they had been wearing helmets after they died from the trauma of
minor bicycle falls;

How do you know that?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Old July 16th 05, 03:08 PM
wvantwiller

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote in
:

wrote:

I personally knew at least one child and one father who would be alive
today if they had been wearing helmets after they died from the trauma
of minor bicycle falls;

How do you know that?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Mostly the newspaper articles quoting the doctors that the internal
trauma would probably been prevented if the riders had been wearing
helmets. Both accidents were recent enough to have involved newer
helmets, also.

In neither case did the victim go to the hospital, but decided just to
take a nap after the fall.

And, as usual, I suppose your experience in your person medical practice,
including all that trauma room experience during your internship and
residence, give you better insights?

Also, I suppose you were there and can vouch that my other example that
I'd be a few stitch marks to the better if I had been wearing my helmet
is ALSO false?

Or do you only consider the evidence you want to?

Must be a conspiracy. Go on wearing your aluminum skullcap.