Flyte

Old October 19th 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Default Flyte

I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
Maybe this is a good thing.

I am not sure if the flex is in the fork or in the short head tube
with compact geometry frame.

Does anybody know who actually made this fork and if there have been
failures?

Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Old October 19th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman

Dan ? wrote:
I have a 2006 Flyte SRS-2 bike. It is an AL frame with carbon stays
and fork. The now defunct Flyte Cycles was the successor to Airborne
Cycles. I got my bike really, really cheap as a team sponsor bike and
although I don't think it is a great bike, it fits and is comfortable.
The group is Campy Chorus. This bike scares me on descents because the
fork (Carbon with carbon steer tube) seems to flex when braking hard.
This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

Scares the daylights outta me and results in extremely slow descents.
Maybe this is a good thing....

For really fast descents, you need a bike like this:
http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/images/tiretest.jpg.

Beer - It's not just for breakfast anymore!
Old October 19th 07, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Why don't ask Flyte customer support who made the fork? They are supposedly
good to work with.

Old October 20th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

On Oct 19, 3:32 am, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 - Global Warming Edition ®"
wrote:
"Dan" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

good to work with.- Hide quoted text -

Flyte is gone. The garage sale is over and the website is down.

Old October 20th 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Oct 18, 8:57 pm, Dan wrote:
snip
This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

snip
Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Yes. I've had bad luck with Kool Stop salmon and salmon-composite pads
on new rims. Put on black pads until the rims are smoothed out, then
change back to salmon pads. Riding with the black pads in wet
condtions will help the process.

Jeff

Old October 21st 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Curt Wiederhoeft

On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan wrote:
snip
Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Have you thought about pulling the fork out for an inspection? I've
got the "same" model (SRS-2, purchased in 2006), but mine doesn't have
the internal cable routing I've seen on other 2006's. Anyway, with the
Flyte CR3 fork, I've had none of the symptoms you describe. I have one
ride with a 45 mph descent, and my SRS-2 is rock-solid.

Old October 23rd 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

On Oct 20, 2:11 pm, JeffWills wrote:
On Oct 18, 8:57 pm, Dan wrote:
snip

This is aggravated by the two-tone kool stop brake pads in kool stop
holders which judder on the grooved FSA RD-220 rim.

snip
Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Yes. I've had bad luck with Kool Stop salmon and salmon-composite pads
on new rims. Put on black pads until the rims are smoothed out, then
change back to salmon pads. Riding with the black pads in wet
condtions will help the process.

Jeff

I swapped the kool stop pads and holders for the campy originals and
this is much better. Not as prone to squeal as the kool stops and less
judder. I found the holders had an impression from the concave washer
which may explain why I was having trouble getting the pads set up so
they didn't squeal. Perhaps I over tightened them at some time but the
holders may be soft metal. I have no idea why they fabricate the rims
with a groved surface - seems like a silly idea.

Old October 23rd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

On Oct 20, 7:01 pm, Curt Wiederhoeft wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan wrote:
snip

Scrap the frame set or just the fork? Maybe just change the brake pads.

Have you thought about pulling the fork out for an inspection? I've
got the "same" model (SRS-2, purchased in 2006), but mine doesn't have
the internal cable routing I've seen on other 2006's. Anyway, with the
Flyte CR3 fork, I've had none of the symptoms you describe. I have one
ride with a 45 mph descent, and my SRS-2 is rock-solid.

I havn't found any evidence of problems with Flyte having failure
problems so I may just be spooking myself. What rims and brakes do you
have? I haven't ridden this bike much for quite awhile and I simply
may not be used to it's personality.

Old October 23rd 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JeffWills

On Oct 22, 3:46 pm, Dan wrote:
I have no idea why they fabricate the rims
with a groved surface - seems like a silly idea.

I agree- but they'll smooth out after the first couple rides in wet
conditions. After that, you should be able to switch back to the
salmon pads.

Jeff

Old October 25th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Curt Wiederhoeft

On Oct 18, 11:57 pm, Dan wrote:
snip

I havn't found any evidence of problems withFlytehaving failure
problems so I may just be spooking myself. What rims and brakes do you
have? I haven't ridden this bike much for quite awhile and I simply
may not be used to it's personality.

The "Internet special" Easton rims and Ultegra brake calipers/shoes.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post.

Flyte Bicycles gone? bobv General 4 April 30th 07 11:30 PM
FS: Flyte clothing Oskar Marketplace 0 July 29th 06 10:48 PM