Speed vs. need for helmet?

Old November 28th 07, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duke of Hazard

Default Speed vs. need for helmet?

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ? I can
understand if you average 15+mph, but are helmets neccessary at slower
speeds? Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity so the
slower you travel the far less you should need one, no?
Old November 28th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Duke of Hazard wrote:
I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ? I can
understand if you average 15+mph, but are helmets neccessary at slower
speeds? Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity so the
slower you travel the far less you should need one, no?

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! HELMET THREAD!!!

Foam bicycle hats really only offer "bump and scrape" protection in low
speed falls, so they are not really necessary during riding. The main
place where they would be useful is off-road, where they do help spread
out the impact from point loads such as rocks. Do not expect the foam
bicycle hat to reduce the risk of serious head injury or death by any
significant extent.

The primary benefit of wearing a foam bicycle hat would be to prevent
jury prejudice if you are injured by another party and are suing for
damages, since the average juror will have likely swallowed the helmet
propaganda whole without question.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old November 28th 07, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
max

In article
,
Duke of Hazard wrote:

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ? I can
understand if you average 15+mph, but are helmets neccessary at slower
speeds? Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity so the
slower you travel the far less you should need one, no?

Further research is indicated; have a friend poke a stick through your
spokes and let us know what happens.

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome
Old November 28th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Nov 27, 8:46 pm, Duke of Hazard wrote:
I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ?

Hazardous Duke,
Don't listen to these guys, amusing though they may be, you should
wear a helmet because bike helmets look cool, just think, does Levi
Leipheimer
look more cool with or without a bike helmet? How about Chris Horner?
I rest my case.
ABS
Old November 28th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:46:39 -0800 (PST) in rec.bicycles.misc,
Duke of Hazard wrote:

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ?

you'll be glad you have one when the drunk hits you going 35 mph
and your head hits the asphalt at 20.

anything you can do to reduce impact will help to reduce
concussion problems. imho folks that don't wear helmets don't
have much to protect.

Old November 28th 07, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Roger Zoul

"Duke of Hazard"

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ? I can
understand if you average 15+mph, but are helmets neccessary at slower
speeds? Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity so the
slower you travel the far less you should need one, no?

It depends on if you bang your head on the pavement when you fall off your
bike.

Old November 28th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tim McTeague

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Duke of Hazard wrote:
[...]

Only "bump and scrape" protection? You can crack your skull open by
falling standing still if you hit it right, or wrong. Helmets are not total
protection by any means but valuable insurance any time you ride. Of
course, helmets in cars would most likely save lives as well but who does
that other than race car drivers?

Tim McTeague

Old November 28th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Duke of Hazard wrote:
[...]

Really? All the credible population studies show no reduction in serious
head injuries or deaths when bicycle helmet use increases.

Of
course, helmets in cars would most likely save lives as well but who does
that other than race car drivers?

What does that have to do with bicycle foam hats?

Old November 28th 07, 12:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Duke of Hazard wrote:

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ?

you'll be glad you have one when the drunk hits you going 35 mph
and your head hits the asphalt at 20.

anything you can do to reduce impact will help to reduce
concussion problems. imho folks that don't wear helmets don't
have much to protect.

The people who believe that bicycle foam hats offer some mystical
protection that is not backed up by either engineering mechanics (the
relatively small amount of energy a light foam hat can absorb) or
statistics (credible population studies show no statistically
significant benefit from foam bicycle hat use) would seem to be the ones
who do not have much to protect.

Old November 28th 07, 12:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Roger Zoul wrote:
"Duke of Hazard"

I mostly average 10 mph , do I still need to wear a helmet ? I can
understand if you average 15+mph, but are helmets neccessary at slower
speeds? Energy is proportional to the square of the velocity so the
slower you travel the far less you should need one, no?

It depends on if you bang your head on the pavement when you fall off your
bike.

The more laid back one is, the less likely the head will be at the point
of impact.