Irish Lightness

Old December 14th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle,alt.mountain-bike
Tom Keats

Default Irish Lightness

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:
These cycling newsgroups seem to replete with heavy types ... you know, like
Germans and Scandinavians who have ever proven themselves to be dour and
dead serious. They know not the delights of Irish lightness.

I guess all those IRA terrorist bombings should
be taken as just being "in fun."

Unfortunately, not every Irishman is a GBS,
Oscar Wilde or Rory Gallagher.

What else do you have?
Oh, yeah -- S(k)in(h)ead "hate the enemy" O'Connor.

A nation populated by indigenous primitives,
infiltrated by Roman Empire Christian zealout
refugees who finally managed to figure out how
to row their boats, and go in the desired direction.

Kind of like Australia, except in Australia the
indigenous people aren't the primitives.

Truth is, no sticky-outy stem on planet earth can
hide behind its own roots. If you wanna stick out,
then stick out, and boldy decla "Here I am!"

That's the rock 'n roll way.

Stick yer chin out, and forget about making excuses.

Take a lesson or two from Alice Cooper. Or if you're
so inclined: Freddie Mercury (whom I suspect of being
"artistically" Irish, but he made no bones about it.)

Rock 'n Roll is the Damoclese' thread upon which the
fate of humanity hangs. So you had better get with
the program. I recommend starting off easy, with
some CSN. Maybe a little Joni Mitchell to wash it
down with.

And y'know what? Humour or wit doesn't have to be
hard-hitting or offensive. When you can get both
women and men to appreciate and be amused by your
remarks, that's a good start.

But any mentally challenged person can stand on
a streetcorner, stupidly shouting out vulgar
epiphets at passers-by, and pretending or
psychotically imagining themseves to be
some sort of Irish genius like Shaw or Wilde.

Once upon a time (back in the '70s) just about
anybody could become a Ramone, too.

And that's what you are. A disgustingly elderly
pseudo-punk rocker, who doesn't even rock.

"Aqualung, my friend,
don't you start away uneasy.
You poor old sot, you see it's
only me ..."

cheers,
Tom
--
Look to the left, the captain said ...
I'm really at:

Irish Lightness O'Kenny, Sean General 4 December 12th 08 04:28 PM
Irish Lightness O'Kenny, Sean Recumbent Biking 1 December 11th 08 08:27 AM
Irish Cat Lovers PiledHigher Australia 2 August 6th 05 08:56 AM
RR: Luck of the Irish Mike Kennedy Mountain Biking 4 March 23rd 05 02:43 AM
Irish End to End ? Ian Teelan UK 2 July 19th 03 09:41 PM