Yea, Now is the Winter of my Discontent!

Old December 25th 08, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,uk.rec.cycling,aus.bicycle
Tom Keats

Default Yea, Now is the Winter of my Discontent!

In article ,
"Edward Dolan" writes:
I would like to know who are those who think winter is in any way wonderful?

The young, and the young at heart who like to snuggle with
their Significant Others and share body warmth.

Winter is miserable in the extreme. It is a season of death. All I can do is
hibernate like a bear. If I were only a polar bear my life would not
possibly be so awful.

Winter is what you make of it. Same as anything.

If you were a polar bear, chances are you'd be
living in a garbage dump around Churchill, Manitoba.

Winter's a good time to catch up on your reading the
works of the great literary giants, like Betty Crocker
and Charles M. Shulz. Polar bears can't read.

It is not possible to ride a bicycle here in Minnesota in the winter. It is
just too damn cold. All the Currier and Ives winter scenes are for border
states, not for the Northern plains. I spend every day of the winter cursing
the god damn ****ing weather.

Doesn't change anything, does it?

I pray for Global warming. I don't give a damn if the entire state of
Florida goes under the ocean if it will somehow warm up Minnesota.

Aw, you're just being a jaded, crusty ol' curmudgeon.

Ed Dolan the Great worships summer.

I'm with you there. But when we're denied something for
a time, we build up a sincere appreciation for it, and
it becomes precious, and not to be taken for granted.

The fact is that this earth is just barely habitable by humans. We are
tropical animals and were never meant to live in northern climes.

We weren't meant to get so old, and have to get up in
the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, either.

I hope for your sake that Minnesota has indoor plumbing,
and not just outhouses. Nothing like kicking the door
of an outhouse open in the middle of the night, and the
wan light of the coal oil storm lantern in your hand
scares away most of the small furry mammals (and snakes)
trying to hibernate in there.

I was supposed to take the Greyhound up-country here,
to do the holiday thing w/ my brother & SIL, but I
got snowed out, and am still stuck in Vancouver.
So it'll be Chinese food for a more traditional
Christmas dinner for me tonight. Sui choi is almost
as good as Brussels sprouts. And sweet red bean
sauce is just as festive as cranberry stuff.

Gonna miss the Danish style red cabbage though.
But that stuff gives me later repercussions anyways.
(Actually, so do Brussels sprouts.)

Boxing Day is for dealing with the repercussions
of the previous day.

Happy holidays,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Yea, Now is the Winter of my Discontent! P.Chisholm Techniques 9 December 26th 08 06:02 AM
Yea, Now is the Winter of my Discontent! P.Chisholm Racing 0 December 24th 08 09:55 PM
Yea, Now is the Winter of my Discontent! Bob Martin Racing 2 December 24th 08 09:00 PM
Winter Shaun Bell Mountain Biking 6 December 5th 07 11:27 PM
FA: Winter shoes, winter tights, Serfas saddle John Verheul Marketplace 0 January 4th 06 05:02 PM